Fall's Colors in the Canadian Rockies

I am considering the last of the 2014 season Alaska cruises beginning and ending in Vancouver to be followed by a VIA Rail trip to Toronto. This is a rail trip that I have longed wanted to take. The time of departure from Vancouver on VIA Rail would probably be during the third week of September. In you opinion, what are the odds of seeing some Fall colors as the train goes through the Rockies and the rest of Canada?

Thank you for your help.

The Rockies are mostly coniferous trees but there is some decidious lower down. Predominatly aspen, poplar and birch. The trees will just be starting to turn. October is the peak out here. Some trains depart Vancouver in the late afternoon or evening. If you can you want an early morning departure or the best scenery will be missed due to darkness. Not much to see tree wise across the praries. Mostly aspen and poplar. Once you hit north western Ontario you will be back into heavily forested areas again. The closer you get to Toronto the more maple and oak you will encounter. Many years ago when we still had a coast to coast train I did Halifax to Vancouver and it was a great trip.

Many thanks to everyone who responded!

I have looked at the Rocky Mountaineer in the past and I'll look at it again. I am not sure, though, that The Canadian of VIA Rail passes through Banff.

While I would love to see as much of the Fall colors as possible, traveling and sightseeing through your great country from Vancouver to Toronto would be the main purpose of the rail trip.

I have done the VIA (and Rocky Mountaineer) trips across the Rockies several times. The changing of the leaves in the mountains varies with their elevation. Those down low in the valley and in the lower Fraser valley will not change until later in October, but those in the mountains start to change near the end of September. On the VIA trip it will be daylight leaving Kamloops and remain daylight right through the mountains, getting dark somewhere near Hinton on the eastern slopes of the Rockies. You will see fantastic colours in the Aspens and poplars all the way from Kamloops with the peak being from Valemont eastwards. Jasper is incredible during the last week of September and into early October. Enjoy VIA, it is a great trip with food and service almost as good as on Rocky, providing you are in sleeping accomodation.

Archived