Helpful suggestions for everything cruise-linked for a 1st time disabled traveller

teels18

Hi all reading this!

I am registered disabled and although I need a wheelchair to get to anywhere whithin 30 foot or so, I am not w/c bound.

I would love to hear from anyone who is in the same situation as myself who has helpful hints about how to cope on board, with excursions e.t.c.

I am travelling with friends, thank goodness...couldn't manage without them!

I am cruising on the CROWN PRINCESS 09.09.13 Mediterranean & Adriatic cruise from Southampton. 8 weeks to go!! :eek:;)

Are you bringing your own wheelchair?

Cruise line no longer provide them for free.

Also check with the excursion people to make certain that any excursions you have booked can store your wheelchair on the bus. Some buses do not have places to store wheelchairs or scooters.

I don't know what your ports are, but if you go to Cozumel they do have beach wheel chairs available at Chankanab. I would email different places to see what is available. Most importantly, I am so very glad you are living your life and trying to not limit yourself!!

I hope you have a wonderful time!!

Yes I thought bout taking my own wheelchair, but thinking about the amount of luggage there will be with 3 of us, I decided to hire one from mobility@sea. I have booked the cruise through the disabled cruise club ( discoverholidays.co.uk)and they gave me the link, phone number e.t.c. I just hope I have done the right thing in hiring a w/c .

KoolBeans I am stopping off at Gibralter, Corfu, Malta, Dubrovnic, Seville, Venice. I know some of these are tenders but as I am not confined to w/c. I am hoping to get to most, if not all, of them :eek: Thanks for your kind words...thankfully I am taking with me 2 very good friends who are destined to do a lot of pushing!!;)

I don't know what your ports are, but if you go to Cozumel they do have beach wheel chairs available at Chankanab. I would email different places to see what is available. Most importantly, I am so very glad you are living your life and trying to not limit yourself!!

I hope you have a wonderful time!!

She stated she was doing the Med and Adriatic from Southhampton.

My husband is in the same handicapped situation as you. He uses a Luggie which is a portable weelchair and is smaller and lighter than the normal scooters. It is also lightweight and has 4 wheels instead of 3. The standard cabin doors are narrow so we do try for a handicapped cabin. The bathroom is larger and the cabin has extra room for the scooter. Tendering is another story altogether and it can be very difficult. Also many ports are not too good for scooters and if you can't walk for any distance you should consider tours that can accomodate your scooter.

Do whatever you can and enjoy!

~Doris~

Thank you Doris. I have booked a disabled cabin. I am thinking of not bothering with the organised excursions but getting a taxi into more local areas of interest, for example I believe Seville is a good distance away from the port of Cadiz so hope to meander round Cadiz with my 2 friends rather than suffer the long trip. I am dreading not being able to get into a port 'cos it is a tendered one...I am praying I can get in to Venice or I shall be bitterly disappointed

Thank you Doris. I have booked a disabled cabin. I am thinking of not bothering with the organised excursions but getting a taxi into more local areas of interest, for example I believe Seville is a good distance away from the port of Cadiz so hope to meander round Cadiz with my 2 friends rather than suffer the long trip. I am dreading not being able to get into a port 'cos it is a tendered one...I am praying I can get in to Venice or I shall be bitterly disappointed

I DO hope you get into Venice but it is not an easy port for touring on your own. If you go to the roll call for your cruise you might find a small group to tour with.

Archived