Oceania Ambiance question

wander

We had a lovely luncheon on the Regatta last week, first time on an Oceania ship and then only for a meal and tour. We enjoyed it very much.

Of course there was the "sales" pitch before the meal, as expected. It was in the show room. I noticed that the show room and the main dining room had a lot of beautiful dark wood, making it look classy and "old world" club like. However, on a ship I really like things to be more light and airy. (Of course, the relatively low ceilings in those spaces, compared to many ships, added to the overall dark feeling of those spaces for me.) Can someone tell me if the other Oceania ships have the same ambiance or if they have a different "feel".

Again, the wood was beautiful, just not my preference. I know that some people would love it. Just curious. Even if all the ships are that way I would not deter me from trying Oceania if the itinerary and price were right.

Thank you for any comparative information you can provide.

We had a lovely luncheon on the Regatta last week, first time on an Oceania ship and then only for a meal and tour. We enjoyed it very much.

Of course there was the "sales" pitch before the meal, as expected. It was in the show room. I noticed that the show room and the main dining room had a lot of beautiful dark wood, making it look classy and "old world" club like. However, on a ship I really like things to be more light and airy. (Of course, the relatively low ceilings in those spaces, compared to many ships, added to the overall dark feeling of those spaces for me.) Can someone tell me if the other Oceania ships have the same ambiance or if they have a different "feel".

Again, the wood was beautiful, just not my preference. I know that some people would love it. Just curious. Even if all the ships are that way I would not deter me from trying Oceania if the itinerary and price were right.

Thank you for any comparative information you can provide.

011726.jpg

Regatta, Nautica and the "soon to rejoin the fleet" Insignia, are all three as alike as peas in a pod, and even those of us who have sailed them several times would be hard pressed to identify one from the other without memorizing a particular painting, or wallpaper pattern.

135519.jpg

The newer and larger ships, the Marina and the Riviera, are also traditional in decor and are identical to one another, but are decorated with a lighter more "California" ambience in mind.

We were recently on Regatta and like you found some of those areas quite "dark" during the day which is when you were on board. But the whole atmosphere changes in the evening, and those areas are very nice, and we enjoyed the traditional country house style very much. The Grand dining room we did not find particularly dark, and certainly in Alaska with those wonderful light evenings and beautiful sunsets, a table aft in the GDR was highly prized and made magnificent viewing sailing out of ports and through the passages. And what I really liked were the dining chairs - they are very comfortable indeed and are perfect for sitting around enjoying the ambiance particularly if like LHT28 you are wearing your velour sweat suit! ;):D

Polo (inspite of all the dark brown leather chairs) and Toscana are light and airy being on the top of the ship.

The Terrace cafe is light and airy also. (We never went there for dinner so can only imagine that it would be similar to Toscana)

We will be on Riviera later this year and I had the impression as J & S have said that she is decorated in a much lighter style, certainly in the staterooms.

I found our PH on Regatta a tad dated in colour and style, BUT and it is a big but, it was very comfortable and very clean. And our butler, well he certainly enhanced our cruise experience. :)

We found both size ships to be comfortable & the ambiance onboard is nothing like any mainstream line we have been on

We enjoy both the R ships & the O class ships for different reasons

If you prefer light & bright but not trashy go with the O class ships

Lyn

We've cruised exclusively with Oceania on the R class ships and recently on the Marina London -Barcelona. We loved the stylish feel of the ship, with it's lighter, chic decor. The O ships have many intimate areas to lounge and relax and the additional specialty restaurants offer varied dining options. I also like the smaller R size ships for port intensive cruises, less tender issues, access to smaller ports, and the darker tones are restful & casual. I find both class of Oceania ships to be excellent for a variety of reasons you can't go wrong with either.

I have been on seven other ships on various lines and found Regatta to be the most beautiful as well as comfortable. We loved our stateroom, both specialty restaurants, the Grand Dining Room, Horizons Lounge as well as Regatta Lounge. Nice ambiance in all areas!

Thank you all for your comments which truly addressed my question. As I said before, the wood was beautiful, just not my style. I could cruise very comfortable on the ship in terms of the wood, just prefer something more contemporary. However, dark wood aside, it is the passengers that are more important to me so I would soon forget about the seeming darkness of the public spaces we spent our time in. The cabins seemed much more upbeat to me.

Thank you again. I will keep looking for an itinerary I like. I am always looking for something with some new and different ports. I love to travel and feel extremely fortunate to have been able to do as much as I have.

We have sailed on three R ships, both of Azamara's, and the Oceania Regatta, and love all three! They are a throwback to the golden age of cruising with the wrought iron indoor railings, the rich colors, the ornate woodwork....... and on and on, much to our delight. Haven't yet been on the O ships yet, but will be sailing on the 24th of next month and also looking forward to that experience.

Most recent cruise was on -X- Eclipse, very modern, glitzy, lively - a very different, but equally enjoyable - experience.

Archived