Shaking Hands....

B-52

Interesting discussion. Probably reflecting my age and where I grew up, but I (male) was trained to offer my hand to a man but not to a woman, unless she initiated the hand shake. I now have to remember not to discriminate but many professional women now are as quick to initiate a hand shake as men. I also was raised to know that if you refused to shake someone's hand you better convincingly and immediately state a good reason or it would be considered a deliberate insult.

I (male) was taught to shake hands with everybody, male or female, when properly introducing myself. And if a woman shakes my hand firmly and confidently, it only improves my opinion of her. In my opinion, the only acceptable reasons to withhold or turn down a handshake are an illness, a hand injury, or if you truly don't like the person. Heck, even wrestlers shake hands before giving their opponent a beat-down. :) If your concern is a possible disease, then go through with the handshake, then discreetly use some sanitizer.

People shook hands ever since the action was developed as a way to showing you're not carrying a weapon. And the human life expectancy and health have only improved over the centuries.

In the early days we were not exposed to lots of other people from all over the globe. Most likely the person you were shaking hands with was a person from the same geographic area as you. Today you don't know where people are from and they may have "bugs" on them your body is not equipped to handle and you get sick. That being said, you also should be wary about handrails and other places people touch. I take an different approach. I don't worry about it

Dora Belair: Look, you work with me, I expect a pro. You don't even shake hands; you oughta see a shrink!

Mike: Miss Belair, if you feel compelled to grab part of my body and shake it before you can even be friendly, you've got far worse problems than you think I have.

(And CDC says alcohol hand sanitizer "may be used in addition to hand washing" but the phrasing may well be the CDC way of saying "The goggles! They do nothing!")

We just got off Freedom and every night as we were leaving dinner our servers would shake hands with my husband and give me a hug. No fear of germs, but as a Southerner (and teacher) I think I just tend to be more willing to shake hands and share hugs with others. I use sanitizer and wash frequently, but don't stress over germs. I don't quite get the fist bump either - if the palm has germs they are probably on other parts of the hand as well.

Not to be offensive to anyone but it seems the less exposed you are to germs, the less immunity you build up. I know a friend of mine was overly obsessed with germs and her children were always sick. The doctors advice, let them play in the dirt.

I wash my hands and stuff and even carry sanitizer for when I can't wash but I rarely get sick either.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I belong to a lodge and twice a week I shake hands with 40 different people. I wash my hands after I am done by casually going into the lavatory. When I am leaving and repeat the same hand shaking I use sanitizer I keep in my car. The key is to keep your hands away from your eyes, nose, mouth, ears (or any other remaining orificia) until you wash or sanitize. You can also double up on your vitamin C and D which will help as well. On the other hand you could say "I don't people touching me but I think you are cool anyway." That would work too.

Not to be offensive to anyone but it seems the less exposed you are to germs, the less immunity you build up. I know a friend of mine was overly obsessed with germs and her children were always sick. The doctors advice, let them play in the dirt.

I wash my hands and stuff and even carry sanitizer for when I can't wash but I rarely get sick either.

This person is right.

The "Germaphobes" That I know are always sick............

Archived