Shaking Hands....

B-52

I'm curious what other people think.....

On a cruise, when you meet someone whether they be a table mate, or a crew member, do you offer your hand?

I would think with the potential of onboard sickness, people would be hesitant to have contact with strangers....not that you're labeling anyone as "Dirty", just being considerate overall......

I did notice that Ships Officers, at social functions, will stand with big smiles on their face and their hands clasped behind their backs...a clear signal...maybe not always, but I have seen it...

Also, if someone you just met offers you their hand, what would you do?

I've never thought different of it, I shake hands the same as I would on land meeting someone new.

On HAL, the invitations to events with officers notify you that the staff will refrain from shaking hands. It makes sense to me that they would refrain from shaking hands.

I would shake their hand but on my last Navigator cruise, the staff was promoting the elbow bump. Of course the noro protocols were in effect so I don't know if it would have been different if that weren't the case.

Up until our last cruise, I never would have even thought about this, but after getting noro on our last cruise, it does make one stop and think.

I guess if someone did offer to shake my hand I probably would. Really, what are the odds that it might happen again? :eek:

As part of the Noro' protocols, they do try and avoid it whenever there is an outbreak. However at other times when it hasn't been highlighted, I would certainly shake hands with people. I would try and avoid then placing fingers in my mouth or any other obvious route of transmission. Washing hands at some suitable point would be in order. That coupled with the unending opportunities to sanitize your hands, should provide ample precaution.

You are never going to be able to guarantee anything, but I do not think there is any need to become paranoid if you take sensible precautions.

I would shake their hand but on my last Navigator cruise, the staff was promoting the elbow bump. Of course the noro protocols were in effect so I don't know if it would have been different if that weren't the case.

And they say if you sneeze, instead of covering your face with your hand, you should sneeze into your elbow.

I think I'll skip the elbow bump too.:eek:

I'll shake hands. I'll do the elbow bump. I'll do the hustle if you catch me at the right time. ;-) The thing is AFAIK, noro is NOT transmitted by skin to skin contact. Just wash your hands, and the odds are your going to be fine. You can get noro anywhere...why freak out about it when your on vacation?

On HAL, the invitations to events with officers notify you that the staff will refrain from shaking hands. It makes sense to me that they would refrain from shaking hands.

Also true with Crystal, since 2002. They've had very little incidence of noro on their ships. Might be related, might be a coincidence.

Roy

And they say if you sneeze, instead of covering your face with your hand, you should sneeze into your elbow.

That sounds very flexural! :) I am concerned that I cannot do it. It also sounds remarkably messy!

Have handkerchiefs gone out of fashion? :D

It's just common sense that avoiding physical contact will reduce the spread of disease.

Will the avoidance of contact immunize you? No.

Will contact necessarily make you sick? No.

But is avoiding contact a good idea? Of course it's a good idea. We know some ships have had hundreds of people sick from disease spread by contact.

It's your vacation. Why take chances?

This past April when I was on the Jewel of the Seas, the captain or cruise director actually included in their announcement to not shake hands with crew or guest but to do a fist bump.

Below is what I posted shortly after the announcement. It was kind of funny.

Just now over the loud speaker everyone is being advised of the Muster Drill in a half hour. Everyone is being advised because of flu season to not shake hands during the cruise but do the fist bump. Haha, thought that was kind of funny.

Till a later time "Live" from the Jewel of the Seas...

Up next sail away from the port of Tampa.

I am not "Howie Mandel" and I have not gotten to the point at my age that I am so paranoid of everything thinking I might catch some type of disease! So yes I do extend a handshake and I offer my hand to a person that extend their hand to me also.......unless I actually "SAW" you come out of the stall in the restroom and walk right out the door without ever stopping by the sink! :eek:

We even spontaneously hugged on our last cruise with our CC roll call mates on the first day :D, never thought twice about it, we where just happy to finally meet in real life...Yes I would continue this practice which included hand shakes naturally...Just use the sanitizers before eating and wash-up after bathroom visits, the risk is well minimized that way.

I do not hestitate shaking anyone's hand on a cruise, anything else just seems rude. But I do carry of hand sanitizer with me. So after shaking anyone's hand I'll slip off to the side and use the hand sanitizer or head for a rest room to wash. I also try not to touch any railings. Maybe I have a little of the Howie Mandel syndrome, but I will always take every precaution to avoid getting sick while on vacation.

It used to be that when you bumped someone with your elbow it was proper to say "excuse me."

Archived