WiFi for a MAC on Freedom of the Seas

Hi All,

I think I will be sailing on he Freedom of the Seas in September.

Unfortunately because of my work, I need to be connected to the Internet throughout my trip. I use a Mac computer.

On RCCL's website, it states that you need a "windows operating system" for WiFi. Has anyone used Apple computers successfully with RCCL's WiFi?

Also, does the WiFi reach everywhere (ie the rooms) or is it only in certain places.

Also, do you know if the ship's cell tower transmits data too?

Thanks!

Hi All,

Unfortunately because of my work, I need to be connected to the Internet throughout my trip. I use a Mac computer.

On RCCL's website, it states that you need a "windows operating system" for WiFi. Has anyone used Apple computers successfully with RCCL's WiFi?

Also, does the WiFi reach everywhere (ie the rooms) or is it only in certain places.

Thanks!

I use my I pad and I phone.

The signal is usually good and reaches most places but connection speed is quite slow.

Hi All,

Thanks!

Check the thread 'all things wifi'

Hi All,

Thanks!

We were on Freedom last December/January and took our MacBook with us. Hubby also has an iPhone. No problems using either.

Here are the internet charges that you will find on Freedom..........

Internet Charges as of 12/23/2013

Per Minute Rate is $.75 per minute

Packages of bundled minutes:

$ 25.95 for 38 minutes (66 cents per minute)

$ 49.95 for 90 minutes (56 cents per minute)

$ 99.00 for 208 minutes (48 cents per minute)

$199.55 for 555 minutes (35 cents per minute)

$399.95 for 1666 minutes (25 cents per minute)

You will have to establish an account (User Name and Password) on one of the computers on board by swiping your SeaPass Card and following the instructions. Once that is done, you will be able to use your own computer.

I have used my Mac on RCCL ships wifi before. It's just like hooking up to any other wifi, just with incredibly high data charges and sketchy performance. I heard that Allure has unlimited data plans now, but I doubt they'll have it on Freedom by September.

Since I also need to be connected at all times, I have an unlimited International data plan on my AT&T phone, which works on cruise ships including RCCL. Not sure if that would work for you (or if you even have AT&T), since if you sign up for it, you have to keep it for 12 months. Keep in mind this is a specific unlimited international data plan, not just enabling the phone to work internationally, in which case the phone data would work, but the data charges are even higher than the ship's wifi charges.

The other challenge is that both the ship's cellular data (Cellular at Sea) and wifi is going to be much slower than what you are used to, and hit or miss throughout the ship, and probably won't work in your stateroom. Last time on Freedom I had to spend a lot of time in Cafe Promenade since that was one of the areas where the ship's data had a good signal (good signal just means it works, not that it's fast). If you are near the Internet Center on the ship you may have better luck. I had a stateroom outside the Internet Center on the Celebrity Equinox last month and we got great reception in the stateroom (again, that's reception, not speed).

The other option is to see if you can just connect while in port. Lots of places like restaurants that cater to cruise passengers have free wifi now, and if you're going to St. Thomas, that has normal coverage for most US phone companies so you don't have to worry about the data charges.

I have used my Mac on RCCL ships wifi before. It's just like hooking up to any other wifi, just with incredibly high data charges and sketchy performance. I heard that Allure has unlimited data plans now, but I doubt they'll have it on Freedom by September.

Since I also need to be connected at all times, I have an unlimited International data plan on my AT&T phone, which works on cruise ships including RCCL. Not sure if that would work for you (or if you even have AT&T), since if you sign up for it, you have to keep it for 12 months. Keep in mind this is a specific unlimited international data plan, not just enabling the phone to work internationally, in which case the phone data would work, but the data charges are even higher than the ship's wifi charges.

The other challenge is that both the ship's cellular data (Cellular at Sea) and wifi is going to be much slower than what you are used to, and hit or miss throughout the ship, and probably won't work in your stateroom. Last time on Freedom I had to spend a lot of time in Cafe Promenade since that was one of the areas where the ship's data had a good signal (good signal just means it works, not that it's fast). If you are near the Internet Center on the ship you may have better luck. I had a stateroom outside the Internet Center on the Celebrity Equinox last month and we got great reception in the stateroom (again, that's reception, not speed).

The other option is to see if you can just connect while in port. Lots of places like restaurants that cater to cruise passengers have free wifi now, and if you're going to St. Thomas, that has normal coverage for most US phone companies so you don't have to worry about the data charges.

Many ships have WiFi available anywhere on the ship including cabins now. We've had it on Radiance in September of 2011, Freedom last December/January and Enchantment this past March/April.

Many ships have WiFi available anywhere on the ship including cabins now. We've had it on Radiance in September of 2011, Freedom last December/January and Enchantment this past March/April.

Add Legend to the list. Ship wide wifi since the rebuild.

Send from my iPhone using Cruise Critic App

Archived