Can you carry your own bags?

laughoutloud

My wife and I came out of the elevator with our luggage last week and a woman told us to take it outside and have it checked. Although we only had a total of three bags, it would have been inconvenient to carry them during the embarkation process. Debarkation is different, though. If you want to do express debarkation, you must carry your luggage off.

Mike

On the last 2 cruises (Sun to Alaska and Star repo from LA to Vancouver) I carried my own bags on board. No having to wait in the stateroom waiting for luggage to arrive. This way you are assured that your luggage is their. I had 2 rolly bags and this was no problem

you can, if they can fit through the typical scanner (which is pretty big)

BUT if your room isn't ready, you're stuck w/ them.

so if you are boarding before say 2 or 3, you'd probably want to check them to have mobility/freedom to move about

No, not yet! I'm not a pack mule and for a couple of bucks each bag I'm happy to say they have always arrived safe and sound. I've never waited in my cabin for luggage to arrive, either. The beauty of arriving at the port town a day ahead is that you are freshly dressed when you board. I spend my time exploring the ship and, if my bags make it by dinner, I will change. If not, I don't worry about it.

However, we are considering doing just this on one of our upcoming short cruises. We plan on wearing the same clothes to embark and debark, plus mix and match with black slacks for evening to cut down on the packing. It would be great to be able to pack this light for a 7 day (or longer) cruise. We are going to attempt packing for a 5 day trip with just 1 rollaboard each.

Return address stickers are a great time saver if you are picking up your luggage tags at the pier, saves you from writing out your info on each tag.

If your computer/printer sauvy you can print them up in advance with your cabin number, category, and "fore", "mid", or "aft".

We have 2 upright wheelies, but kind of on the large side. Do you think they will fit thru the xray? If not, is it a hassle to check them in at that point. I don't know what to do about the garment bag, either...it gets so haevy to carry, but sometimes they just get smushed on those carts...

:confused:

Archived