Lindquist Beach?

mellygo

I have read (Frommer's) that Lindquist Beach is close to Sapphire Beach, but is less crowded because it is much less well known. Has anyone visited this beach, and if so - how easy was it to find a taxi that would know how to get us there? Also, would it be a problem to find a taxi to bring us back to the port?

Lindqvist Beach (now Smith Bay as noted) is an excellent choice for a romantic picnic. There are chair rentals and restrooms so it's not as quiet as say Brewers Bay. But much quieter than Coki, and a bit quieter than Sapphire. Like Magens there is an entry fee. And yes you're a short taxi ride to both Coki and Sapphire if you want to experience two different vibes.

• 5 months later...
I love this beach! Here are some pictures:[ATTACH]279934[/ATTACH][ATTACH]279937[/ATTACH]

So there are chair rentals there? And is there any natural shade?

This seems like the perfect beach for us, we will bring our own lunch, but would like a couple of loungers or chairs to relax in.

From time to time, especially on weekends, there may be unauthorized vendors renting chairs and selling beverages, but that happens rarely. Expect no chairs or refreshments until next season.

The beach can also get crowded on weekends and local holidays. Just want you to have all the facts so you can be prepared.

There are chairs for rent at $5 per day. The folks that run the park and charge the $2 admission are the ones that rent them. I don't think they have a lot of them maybe twenty or so and they are only on the north side where you enter the park. I've never seen any vendors selling food or drink. There are lifeguards and two ports-potties and maybe a dozen or so picnic benches all in the shade.

The park has been given to the Megans Bay Authority and they are gradually improving it. In 2012 they paved the entrance and put up a small sign. If you want to see what St Thomas was like 30 years ago I suggest a visit here. In a few years they will have a snack bar and all of the rental stuff you find at Megans. It will never be the same. IMO it is the nicest beach in the USVI.

I can't speak for last year as we didn't make it down there due to a family illness. For the three years before that the first year they didn't have chairs and then in 2011 & 2012 they had a sign at the attendant's booth advertising them.

We'll be there in a few days and I'll report back on the current status. I expect it will be a lot more populated with Sapphire going through some management difficulties.

We didn't see the chair rentals when we were there in Nov. But we did enjoy a pic nic lunch at one of the pic nic tables right by the water. It is a beautiful little bay, but if you want to snorkel, the better snorkeling is actually just past the bouys. The lifeguards don't like you going past the bouys. But if you're just looking for a pretty shaded quiet bay, this is a good one. I'm sure all taxi drivers would know about this bay and be glad to set up a time to return to get you.