Foggy lens

joshd33

Any tips on keeping camera from fogging up going from indoor to outdoor on a Caribbean cruise?

Thanks!

I read this on a thread here on CC but have not tried it. Put a couple of those silica gel packets that come in things like suitcases and handbags in a zip lock bag along with your camera before you leave the ship. When you are ready to take a picture on land, take your camera out. Supposedly this will keep the lens from fogging up.

I try to set mine out on the balcony while I go breakfast or carry it around my neck so it acclimates to the hot humid temps instead of keeping it in my backpack, or purse until I want to capture that one photo right away... Then the camera will still be cool from the ac on the ship and it will be sure to fog.

Kari

You just need to give it 10 minutes or so to acclimate to the high humidity when you go outside.

If your camera is in a camera bag, then open the bag as it could take longer if the bag is closed.

While I have not tried the silica, I suppose it might work.

The culprit is cool dry air. When you go to the outside, condensation forms as the camera transitions from cool dry to warm humid air.

I have used Repti-Therm reptile tank heaters for years to keep my gear warm while in the cabin. It is a low-wattage heating pad designed to keep pet reptiles' terrarium tanks at a livable temperatureand is perfect for keepingcamera equipment above the dew point.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiTherm%C2%AE-Under-Heater/dp/B0002AQCKA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1374408531&sr=8-1&keywords=reptitherm

I set it in my bag, plug it in and close the flap. When I take the camera or lenses out in the morning, everything is 85°-90° and immune to condensation.

Maybe I should leave my glasses in there too...

Dave

If your cabin has a mini-refrigerator, store the camera/lenses in the cupboard above (not in) the refrigerator. We have used this successfully in the Amazon, throughout the Caribbean, and in the South Pacific. Sometimes the room safe is above the frig. You get security and warm equipment.

If you use the reptile heater trick (Pierces recommendation), make sure you plug it into an outlet that is the proper voltage or that it supports both 110/220v.

Rgds,

topkatz

Archived