Loreto and LaPaz on Grand

jow623

Cruised to Loreto in April. Nothing to do there at all. Walked around the tiny town. It was pretty but no activities. There is a beach but I wouldn't call it pretty. La Paz, too many years ago (maybe 10). I do remember there was quite a distance from the port to the town. Things may have changed by now. I wouldn't take a cruise just to see those ports.

Cabo , and Puerto Vallarta far superior.

We booked on HAL for 12 day Sea of Cortez specifically to go back to Loreto, La Paz and Guaymas.

The beach outside La Paz (shuttle available at the dock) is beautiful. (We dock at Pichilingue, and there was an enormous market set up for the tourists at the dock both times I've been there.) Gorgeous. Fabulous. BEAUTIFUL beach! There is a private operator around there who does "swim with the sea lions" and "swim with the whale shark" excursions. Right on the beach where the shuttle goes are 2 restaurants, chairs, tables, etc, and a few palapas further away.

The malecon in La Paz has beautiful beach and what appears to be beautiful water, but the water is too polluted for swimming.

Kayaking was offered as a shorex in La Paz, and some snorkelling. Can't remember others, but there was a good list ;)

Loreto we did a kayaking excursion, then ate in a local restaurant. ZERO English was spoken in the restaurant, the menu was priced in pesos, but I think the menu was bilingual. Easily walkable, pretty much, though the curbs are quite steep (even the ramps on the curbs are pretty steep). You will probably have a number of shorex to choose from, including a bus trip to Todos Santos (sp?) -- if I'm remembering correctly, Loreto is where that shorex is offered.

We adore this part of Mexico.

I think you will find many things to do in Loreto depending on your interests. You can take a tour to San Javier mission which is abut 27 miles (most dirt road) from Loreto. Also, the fishing is very good at Loreto. You can take a boat out to Coronado Island about two miles (maybe more) and snorkel or dive. The island has a beautiful white sand beach and is uninhabited.

The church in Loreto has a small museum, and there are several shops and vendors in the area near the church. To get downtown from the marina is about a five or six block walk.

In La Paz, we have been to both the beach (which is nice) and downtown via shuttle.

We found a taxi driver who spoke a little English and asked him to show is what he liked about his city. He took us to a shop that does weaving on hand operated equipment and it was fascinating !! Also to the local museum, church, and to a family owned and operated ceramic business where we were allowed to watch the workers make ceramics from the raw clay to the finished hand painted products. We also went to several other places in the city, but those mentioned above were the highlights for us.

I hope this will help you enjoy these two ports a little more !!

Archived