Helpful hints for new and experienced cruisers

pdbcruisers

Contact RCCL and they will have a fan waiting for you in your room. We had a fan and an egg crate for the bed in April. Will be doing it again in 2014.

Must depend on the ship. My TA called RCCL about my September cruise on Enchantment and was told they didn't have fans, that I'd have to bring my own.

• portable speaker - we love to listen to soft music on the balcony.
  • zip lock baggies - keep cell phones dry and sand free
  • el cheapo watch - strapped to my day pack.
  • 6' cable bike lock - keeps day pack attached to lounge chairs.
  • small combo lock - keeps main pocket on the day back secure.
  • Soft copies of license, passport, tickets, etc scanned and uploaded to Dropbox - just in case the originals are misplaced.
  • White Noise app loaded on my Droid - over 50 different white noise sounds.
  • Don't let the little stuff bother you, let it roll off, like water off a duck's butt.
  • Don't try to see and do everything. Relax! 4 years ago we tried to do everything possible on excursions and on board. We wound up exhausted. The last 3 years we picked a beach on each island and had a great time.

OMG... beware of chair hogs when you can't move their stuff!!!

I guess this is okay onshore on your rented lounge chair... but I'd be cautious about doing this onboard, when you shouldn't leave your stuff for more than 30 minutes (though I suppose it helps keep your belongings secure if you leave your chair to go to bathroom, get in the pool for 10 mins. or go to get a drink, etc.) --

Actually, now that I think about it, a pretty good idea!! (as long as one doesn't abuse the 30-min. rule, of course... I wonder if pool deck staff would have a lock cutter to remove the item if needed?!?!)

OMG... beware of chair hogs when you can't move their stuff!!!

I guess this is okay onshore on your rented lounge chair... but I'd be cautious about doing this onboard, when you shouldn't leave your stuff for more than 30 minutes (though I suppose it helps keep your belongings secure if you leave your chair to go to bathroom, get in the pool for 10 mins. or go to get a drink, etc.) --

Actually, now that I think about it, a pretty good idea!! (as long as one doesn't abuse the 30-min. rule, of course... I wonder if pool deck staff would have a lock cutter to remove the item if needed?!?!)

I imagine this is for onshore as I've never ever seen a bag locked to a pool lounger on the ship.

Is the lock meant to prevent people from stealing your stuff or simply moving your bag? Because if onshore, a thief would simply just cut your backpack straps or just open your bag. If you want true security for a bag left unattended, I've seen these wire type nets that you can put your bag in and then cinch down tight. It prevents people from cutting into your bag and the holes are small enough so nothing can come out. Then you would use the cable lock to secure it to something sturdy.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

-We always take clothes that can be matched for another day:less clothes=more space for souvenirs. You can always use the tide travel packets if you need to freshen things up.

-Lint roller comes in handy but I guess the before mentioned duct tape would work too .

-Extra batteries. Those things are expensive if you can find them on the ship.

definitely the over the door shoe hanger. i put brushes, hairspray, hand mirror and mostly things like that. makes it easy to just grab when you need it and then put it back and it's not falling off the shelf when you open the mirrored door, etc.

i also put flip flop types on the bottom half.

The more I've cruised, the smaller the "must have" list has gotten. I carry OTC meds because you can't always get ones you are familiar with in ports and the shops on the ship are limited and closed while in port. I got sick with a cold on a cruise docked in Dominica. I pack undies, socks, shorts, t-shirts, swimsuits and shoes in various sized zip locks. Makes packing for the trip, unpacking once on board and for the disembarkation super easy and fast. I carry the antiseptic wipes, run them inside the drawers and around the cabin when I arrive, toss the zip locks in and I'm unpacked except for the hanging pieces. I carry a few clothes pins to secure a wet swimsuit to a balcony chair to dry or to hold the drapes shut, and a cheap watch that I can attach to a beach bag. Other than that, I've found that guest services can provide you with anything like a suitcase repair or duct tape, and almost anything else can be bought for less than I can pay for flying to a port with an extra suitcase filled with items that I won't use or could replace for a few dollars more than at home. Oh..I carry one of the flat air fresheners that you hang from the rear mirror in your car (for the bathroom). I've become MUCH better at packing light. :D

Archived