Helpful hints for new and experienced cruisers

pdbcruisers

What are some of the little things that you have learned over your past cruises to bring along to make your cruise/cabin life better? Hopefully we will all pick up some good tips. I will start out with a few..........

#1 - A 3 plug adapter for extra outlets

#2 - 3M Command strip hooks for hanging wet/damp items (also works well for a CPAP mask)

#3 - A small digital clock (we use the phone system for an alarm)

What are some of the little things that you have learned over your past cruises to bring along to make your cruise/cabin life better? Hopefully we will all pick up some good tips. I will start out with a few..........

#1 - A 3 plug adapter for extra outlets

#2 - 3M Command strip hooks for hanging wet/damp items (also works well for a CPAP mask)

#3 - A small digital clock (we use the phone system for an alarm)

#4 Half the clothes and double the money.

Hahahaha...ditto on that!

Bring a good attitude, don't expect everything to be perfect to you liking, and don't over plan.

I bring a highlighter for the Compass and post-it notes for the room steward and for notes to myself (Chops at 8:15, etc)!

#5 Over the door shoe hanger, to store small items in.

We had large suite for our last cruise with more drawer and storage space than we could possibly use so we did not pack the pocket hanger. Honesty we were lost, and so as everything we went looking for !

M

I always pack a ziplock bag with some post its, a highlighter, and I also pack a spiral notebook that we keep on the vanity area so my husband and I can write notes to one another. We're not always together, and it's a good way to communicate back and forth while we're on board. ("In the Schooner Bar for noon trivia", etc.)

Another thing I've done, because we almost always cruise with other families, is make a one sheet phone directory with each of our cabin numbers. Great to toss in the nightstand drawer to have handy.

Spring clips to keep the drapes closed in the morning.

Pack of sani-wipes so that the germs on the TV remote and drawer pulls and handles are ours. Makes it feel like "our" cabin.

Small LED keychain lights for night trips to the can.

Throw away toothbrushes.

battery candle light for bathroom night light

magnetic hooks

The battery operated candles are also nice to use out on the balcony at night. A glass of wine , some candle light ,a balcony and the sound of the ocean makes for a relaxing or romatic night. They also make good night lights for interior cabins with out being to bright.

Another useful item is a collapsable store box to set on the vanity. It holds all the little stuff that you have and you know where it is. I like the 8X8 size. You can pick them up at dollar stores cheap. Traveling solo the over the door shoe holder is to big for just me. The box works perfect for 1 person.

I made my first cruise last April. Took most all of the things you could find on the packing lists found on the internet. Wont do it again. I could have travelled with 2 fewer bags than what I took in April. Did like the hanging shoe rack for the bathroom door though.

Totally. Especially if it's a Caribbean cruise. You'll often leave the ship in your swimming stuff and then during the sea days, nobody cares if you're wearing the same sweat and sunscreened t-shirt or cover-up.

Renuzit pop-up air freshener to put in the bathroom to, uh, cover up any smells you may make...

Had to buy duct tape in Alaska after our suitcase was damaged on the flight to Alaska. It held the wire thingy that is along the outer edge of the suitcase together so it wouldn't damaged other suitcases, etc. Worked like a charm!

Also needed some in Australia to mend my brother's suitcase after plane travel.

I have no idea what I would put in an over-the-door shoe bag as all of our "stuff" fits in the shelves around the mirror or above the TV.

I have no idea what I would put in an over-the-door shoe bag as all of our "stuff" fits in the shelves around the mirror or above the TV.

Agree with this. In fact, we had some shelves with nothing on them the entire cruise. Plenty of room for all of our stuff without this so-called shoe organizer. Just have to be organized and neat and you'll find there's enough room for everything.

Duct tape really comes in handy in a storm when drawers and/or closet doors are slamming open and shut. Also fixes a saggy hem. Those are two things I've used it for. I have a roll of Traveler's duct tape from Magellan catalog. Smaller than the usual.

A half dozen plastic bags (of the "paper or plastic" kind from the grocery store) are stocked in my luggage whenever I pack to go anyplace. Usually, there's fewer than four when I unpack at the end, for one reason or another.

The ironic thing is that by the time you buy all that junk and bring it with you.

Is about the same time you figure out that you don't need to bring all this junk...

So very true!

We bought an over-the-door shoe organizer years ago because it seemed like a good idea when we first saw it suggested.

Took it on one cruise, realized we didn't need it and never brought it along again.

The more we cruise, the less we pack.

We find that most of the things that are suggested can be picked up along the way, should we need them, but it really varies depending on the itinerary.

For example, on a northbound Alaska cruise when your first port is Ketchikan, if doesn't matter what you forgot to pack because you can get anything you need right there.

Archived