Perks for suites

RCCL has resorted to a two class system on their ships. True, the Crown and Anchor society, of which I am Diamond, gives perks to repeat cruisers. This delineation has always been sufficient. I have cruised in suites in the past and will do again. I just disembarked from EOS...Those in suites were given the following;

1. Special seating at the pools

2. Reserved and roped off area in the Palace Theater

3. Breakfast and lunch options in Portofino

4. Separate area in Labadee that included an over the top buffet lunch with Butler service.

There may have been others but these were the "in your face" perks.

While I realize that those in suites do pay extra for their cabins, I thought the class system in cruises ended years ago. What is next...Those in an inside cabin not being allowed in the dining room? Are we moving towards steerage class? Really RCCL, what gives? I am writing a letter to the cruise line to address this.

I don't understand your post. You said that you book suite and you are complaining that you are getting extra service because you pay more?

When you book a suite you actually pay MORE to have MORE. It's written than you will have MORE. Nobody will pay 5000$ more only to have a bigger room...

Airlines, land hotels, all inclusive resorts all give perks to those with the most expensive seats or accommodations. As an example, first class air passengers have larger more comfortable seats in a dedicated part of the plane, board first, deplane fist, have a place to hang a garment bag, receive a full meal, have access to a plug for equipment, have complimentary alcohol, etc .

All RCCL passengers get the same meal, have access to the same restaurants, shows, pools, etc. Those who pay for a suite, get lots more space in the cabin and a variety of added benefits.

M

I don't understand your post. You said that you book suite and you are complaining that you are getting extra service because you pay more?

When you book a suite you actually pay MORE to have MORE. It's written than you will have MORE. Nobody will pay 5000$ more only to have a bigger room...

No, I said that I have booked suites in the past. I do not believe in a cruise class system. I paid more than an inside cabin. Should I get perks because of that? If you choose to pay 5000.00 for your vacation, so be it. You get a larger room, priority embarkation and disembarkation, a butler, and some other services. I am referring to the in your face perks that should not go hand in hand with a suite. Sorry. An inside cabin costs an average of 800-1000 pp. a balcony can be as high as 2000.00 pp...so if I choose a balcony, should I have more favors bestowed upon me than an inside cabin? If You follow what you said about price then we move into first class, second class, steerage in cruising.

No, I said that I have booked suites in the past. I do not believe in a cruise class system. I paid more than an inside cabin. Should I get perks because of that? If you choose to pay 5000.00 for your vacation, so be it. You get a larger room, priority embarkation and disembarkation, a butler, and some other services. I am referring to the in your face perks that should not go hand in hand with a suite. Sorry. An inside cabin costs an average of 800-1000 pp. a balcony can be as high as 2000.00 pp...so if I choose a balcony, should I have more favors bestowed upon me than an inside cabin? If You follow what you said about price then we move into first class, second class, steerage in cruising.

I'm pretty sure that having a balcony is a "IN YOUR FACE" perk.

Just saying.

And yes, If I pay more, I want more for my money.

Airlines, land hotels, all inclusive resorts all give perks to those with the most expensive seats or accommodations. As an example, first class air passengers have larger more comfortable seats in a dedicated part of the plane, board first, deplane fist, have a place to hang a garment bag, receive a full meal, have access to a plug for equipment, have complimentary alcohol, etc .

All RCCL passengers get the same meal, have access to the same restaurants, shows, pools, etc. Those who pay for a suite, get lots more space in the cabin and a variety of added benefits.

M

Have you experienced the differences yet? I did last week and this was the first time in all my years of cruising. Sorry, I do not agree with what is being done. On a plane you pay for a larger seat...on a cruise you pay for a larger room. This room will come with a butler service, different room service menus, complimentary drinks, etc. BUT...Not separation in all other areas.

I'm pretty sure that having a balcony is a "IN YOUR FACE" perk.

Just saying.

Nope...a balcony is in the privacy of your cabin...not in your face at all...Not roped off public areas with signs and ropes that keep people out. Labadee had walls and a gate with a guard at the gate to only admit suite folks. Check it out on your next cruise.

We just booked an outside cabin on indy; sometimes have spurged for a balcony but had twins in jan and the balcony for 5 was $2k more than an oceanview. Definitely hope we dont feel like second class citizens. If they do that too much they wont get repeat customers and will have to discount inside and outside rooms even more.

These perks have always been there...

Following your logic everyone should be able to go to Bora Bora for 1 week for 500$!

No, they have not...I have been on Many, Many, RCCL cruises and have never seen roped off public areas with signs to delineate between passengers. I have also been to Labadee many times and have never seen the walled off gated suite community.

Sorry if I am offending the suite people but this is my opinion...the crack about Bora Bora is not in align with what I am saying at all. Read my posts.

This is interesting. this is my first RCCI venture and we could only afford an inside room ( or an outside but actually prefer being higher up as the outside rooms are near to the sea and when I went with p&o personally felt I was a goldfish). I don't mind others getting perks, their choice. But if it takes away from me, ie, if they say they have a 1000 seat cinema and actually 100 of those seats aren't available, then I have a problem. However I don't mind being riff raff, I quite like Leonardo do caprio, you meet some amazing people when you're not roped in lol. I don't need to feel more special, I know I am already :D

We just booked an outside cabin on indy; sometimes have spurged for a balcony but had twins in jan and the balcony for 5 was $2k more than an oceanview. Definitely hope we dont feel like second class citizens. If they do that too much they wont get repeat customers and will have to discount inside and outside rooms even more.

I totally agree!!!!! You will see what I mean when you are on board.

No, they have not...I have been on Many, Many, RCCL cruises and have never seen roped off public areas with signs to delineate between passengers. I have also been to Labadee many times and have never seen the walled off gated suite community.

Sorry if I am offending the suite people but this is my opinion...the crack about Bora Bora is not in align with what I am saying at all. Read my posts.

Well the gate was there last year in April 2012 so it's been a while.

And in the theater they open all the place 10 minutes before the shows begins.

Yes, the place is reserved for suite, but 10 minutes before it's start, anyone can go, so there is not 100 places left empty.

If you book first class say on an airline, it isn't to the detriment of other passengers, you are dealt with separately, and the economy passengers know what they are getting. If I have paid for a service that I have to wait longer for because someone takes priority, that's where I have a problem, if I haven't been told. so if part of an area is roped off so I get less choice, that affects me, then I have a problem. I'm actually getting less than I paid for.

It seems to be an in your face ego booster rather than a genuine perk for paying more.

I have never cruised in a suite but usually an ocean view or balcony. The suite guests in my mind have paid way too much and therefore they should get way more...lol. Honestly, I could never pay what the average person pays for a suite on RCCL. I would rather travel on a luxury line in an average stateroom for that money.

I don't know. I found that you are all acting like they have add ropes everywhere in the last week only on Royal Carribean. There was always a separation for suite guests on every cruise ships. Even in hotel there is seperate section for suite and place that you can't go if you're not in a suite...

There always have been there, there will always be, it's called capitalism, and i'm fine with it.

We sailed in a Suite on IOS in 2010. We had a roped off area above the skybar with gold coloured sunbeds, a roped off area at the front of the upper tier in the theatre and seating in the Portofino at breakfast and lunch. We also had priority entry in to the iceshows and of course there was free drinks pre-dinner in the Concierge lounge. (I have never been to Labadee so can't comment). Until last week that was the only RCI cruise I have done so I can assure you that the perks were definitely there and obvious!

We have just returned from Adventure in a Suite and didn't notice anything different in the level of perks except that the sunbeds were in a different position.

You CHOOSE to book a specific cabin!

Therefore you have options, if you CHOOSE to not book a suite, you have exercised your option.

You can buy a stripped down Ford, or you can buy a Lincoln, you CHOOSE what you want.

Sure does sound like ENVY to me.

I do not believe in a cruise class system.

You don't "believe" in a cruise class system? What about gravity? Do you "believe" in gravity? Do you "believe" the earth is round?

Look, cruise lines go where the market drives them. And I for one, am thankful for that. I cruise several times a year, and I pay a premium as a solo cruiser. On top of that, I pay a premium for a large suite. Why? Because it's my vacation and I want to! I want extra space in the room, I want to be able to enjoy a private cabana on Labadee, I want to know I don't need to stand in line to fight for a seat in the theater, I want to know I have a quiet reserved area on the pool deck. I want these things not to feel better than other people. I want them because I enjoy them! I don't really care what anyone else does or doesn't do, does or doesn't pay for. I want to enjoy MY vacation.

Here is hoping RCI continues to recognize the value of cruisers like myself and continues to offer more and more suite premiums. Up until now, I wanted this solely for my own enjoyment. But now I also want it because I see how much it will bother you!

Sorry you couldn't enjoy your own vacation:confused:

You CHOOSE to book a specific cabin!

Therefore you have options, if you CHOOSE to not book a suite, you have exercised your option.

You can buy a stripped down Ford, or you can buy a Lincoln, you CHOOSE what you want.

Sure does sound like ENVY to me.

yes, but if I bought a stripped down ford, I would still have a right to drive on the same roads as someone with a loncoln, it would only be the vehicle I had paid for, not the use of the road.

We usually are NOW able to cruise in suites. Sometimes we use the "perks" sometimes we don't, but guaranteed we ALWAYS pay more for this cabin than other cabins. So, if you don't like the "perks", why in the world are you using them? Just as many have mentioned, we have finally been able to afford the better seats on an airplane, the more upscale hotel rooms, the SUITES on a cruise ship. I'm not really understanding your post here.

By the way, while in Labadee at the "exclusive" Barefoot beach just for us in the suites, I saw persons jumping the wall. No problem to me and as a matter of fact, to be really snobby about this, why in the world did they choose this beach for us "exclusive' persons? If we go to Barefoot beach, we always bring our swim shoes since the beach is so full of pebbles, not like the soft sand where the "commoners' get to go.

Of course, our bar b q consisted of a seafood skewer, yep, we got shrimp, scallop and something else, couldn't tell what it was. We passed on this and had the good old type of bar b q, hamburgers, hot dogs and other items.

The roped off area for the pool, its above the pool and totally in the sun. The theater, yep, they hold seats for us special people until 10 minutes before show time and then all the seats are open.

We have had the pleasure of sailing with RCCL for many, many years and this is not new for persons that are able to pay much more for their cabin..........so what are you really upset about?

Going on a cruise in a few weeks with a ladies group, we are all in balcony cabins and I have no problem whatsoever with the persons that paid for that wonderful suite to have a few more "perks' than what we will. By the way, even when all we could afford were inside cabins, we NEVER felt like second class persons.

Again, I really do not understand your post and it does upset me. We have cruised on many, many ships and there may have been one or two cruise employees that were not great, but over all, we have loved all our cruises regardless of what cabin we were able to afford.

My question to you is what are you trying to start here and why?

I have been on Many, Many, RCCL cruises and have never seen roped off public areas with signs to delineate between passengers. I have also been to Labadee many times and have never seen the walled off gated suite community.

According your signature, you have been on five RCI cruises, and your most recent was in 2008. Um, yeah... things change over time my friend.

No, they have not...I have been on Many, Many, RCCL cruises and have never seen roped off public areas with signs to delineate between passengers.

On Oasis, there is a sun deck above deck 16 that is reserved for suites or people holding an all gold seapass card (I think maybe those Pinnacle members get all gold cards?). It didn't seem like you had to swipe your card to open the gate, but I imagine that from time to time they will check if you happen to be sitting up there to see if you really belong.

For the Aquatheater, the best three rows in the middle section towards the back (better view from the back as opposed to right up front) were reserved for suite guests. There was a staff member standing at each end of the rows telling people they couldn't sit there. I saw one elderly woman show up five minutes before the show was to start and demanded that she be given a seat in that area. When she was told it was only for suite guests, she then asked the staff member to find her two seats together but not way in the front because she didn't want to get wet. She somehow still snuck in through a different unguarded row. I saw one suite holder start causing a big commotion and trying to get the staff member to come and make this woman move.

I'm not sure if the Opal Theater had reserved rows as well, we never got there early enough to know.

I don't mind that the suite guests get these certain small areas. They're paying for it. If you pay for a first class seat on an airplane, you get to board first, you get a bigger seat, and you get a meal, while those in coach have to pay for snacks. Not much different. Now if they start saying that only suite guests get to use the rock climbing wall or the flowrider for the first two hours of each session, or if they have an elevator only for suite guests, that's when I think it'll bother me.

yes, but if I bought a stripped down ford, I would still have a right to drive on the same roads as someone with a loncoln, it would only be the vehicle I had paid for, not the use of the road.

Never heard of toll road?

Archived