Faroe Islands question

We are visiting the Faroe Islands and are trying to choose between the following tours. I'd appreciate any advice on the difference between the two and opinions on which sounds better.

The first is the ship's tour, called Torshavn the Capital and the description is: From Klaksvík, we drive through the 5,6 km long subsea tunnel (150m beneath sea level) between Klaksvík and Leirvík and start our journey southwards passing idyllic villages. Getting closer to the Tórshavn we take the scenic mountain road and stop at the viewpoint overlooking the capital. We make a short stop at the beautiful Nordic House cultural centre. We drive through the modern sections of the city and make our way to the city center where we will take a short walk in Tinganes, which is the historic part of Tórshavn. After the stop in the city center we head back to Klaksvík.

The second option is through a tour company called Greengate Incoming and is called Northern Eysturoy and Gjogv. Here is their description: Northern Eysturoy and Gjógv: By bus to Eysturoy via the subtunnel. Drive along Skálafjord, the longest fjord in the Faroe Islands and continue along Funningsfjord and pass the village Funningur where the first Viking stepped ashore. Continue to the village Gjógv with its natural harbour that has given name to the village. Gjógv means gorge. Walk along the gorge where you might see a few puffins. After a visit in the village church you drive pass the highest mountain in the Faroe Islands "Slættaratindur", 882 m. Next a photostop viewing the free standing cliffs "The Giant and the Hag". Pass the village Eiði and south on the west side of Eysturoy. On the way you see the "bridge over the Atlantic" - the bridge connecting Eysturoy and Streymoy. Along Skálafjord and back to Klaksvík. Duration of tour 4½ hours. Incl. coach/guide/entrance.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the two options. The prices are very similar and the length of time is the same, but they go to different areas. I hate to miss seeing the capital, but the second tour visits more areas. Will I regret not seeing the capital?

Thanks for your help!

If you're there for a full day, then I'd do the second one. For a tour of the capital, there are ordinary service buses that run round the city - google it, there aren't many routes and there should be a route map. Our driver was very chatty and gave us a guided tour as we went round.

We were there a couple of weeks ago on the Eclipse. We did more or less your second option (with Celebrity) in 2 1/2 hrs and it was OK. Those who I spoke to who went to Torshavn were disappointed with the large amount of travelling time and only about 45 mins in Torshavn. On that basis, I'd go with the 2nd option.

Simon

Several of us on our roll call tried to find an independent tour, but came up with nothing, so we were left with what Celebrity offered. The scenery is stunning, but it is everywhere you go, so becomes a bit 'samey'. Not on my top 10 of ports to return to, but it was OK.

Simon

I was in the Faroes for 10 days last month travelling about with a car and have been to all the places you reference. I found the islands otherworldly!! If you enjoy breathtaking travel with fantastic views take the second option. It is far more scenic than the former and will expose you to what the countryside looks like. I never got bored seeing the varying vistas of mountains and cliffs. Most likely you will see countless sheep as well. And we did see some puffins flying about the old harbour cliffs at Gjogv. If you can, hike the short grass trail to the bench above the right side of the old harbour to see these cliffs.

A far as the first option goes, Torshavn itself is nice but nothing exceptional. Without being able to walk about, you really won't have the opportunity to see much. Tinganes is just a small historical area near the harbour with an old fort. So again, unless you really aren't into the natural awesomeness that truly defines the Faroes, I would find the second option preferable. You should be able to take a ton of photos!!

One final caveat, if the weather is bleak such as foggy, this could limit your visibility and then I would say the options are a toss-up.

I hope this helps.

Below are 2 photos of Gjogv and taken on the road between Gjogv and Eiði.

We are visiting the Faroe Islands and are trying to choose between the following tours. I'd appreciate any advice on the difference between the two and opinions on which sounds better.

The first is the ship's tour, called Torshavn the Capital and the description is: From Klaksvík, we drive through the 5,6 km long subsea tunnel (150m beneath sea level) between Klaksvík and Leirvík and start our journey southwards passing idyllic villages. Getting closer to the Tórshavn we take the scenic mountain road and stop at the viewpoint overlooking the capital. We make a short stop at the beautiful Nordic House cultural centre. We drive through the modern sections of the city and make our way to the city center where we will take a short walk in Tinganes, which is the historic part of Tórshavn. After the stop in the city center we head back to Klaksvík.

The second option is through a tour company called Greengate Incoming and is called Northern Eysturoy and Gjogv. Here is their description: Northern Eysturoy and Gjógv: By bus to Eysturoy via the subtunnel. Drive along Skálafjord, the longest fjord in the Faroe Islands and continue along Funningsfjord and pass the village Funningur where the first Viking stepped ashore. Continue to the village Gjógv with its natural harbour that has given name to the village. Gjógv means gorge. Walk along the gorge where you might see a few puffins. After a visit in the village church you drive pass the highest mountain in the Faroe Islands "Slættaratindur", 882 m. Next a photostop viewing the free standing cliffs "The Giant and the Hag". Pass the village Eiði and south on the west side of Eysturoy. On the way you see the "bridge over the Atlantic" - the bridge connecting Eysturoy and Streymoy. Along Skálafjord and back to Klaksvík. Duration of tour 4½ hours. Incl. coach/guide/entrance.

I'm having a hard time deciding between the two options. The prices are very similar and the length of time is the same, but they go to different areas. I hate to miss seeing the capital, but the second tour visits more areas. Will I regret not seeing the capital?

Thanks for your help!

DSCN6219.jpg.6e4e08750ae2f879153c555e205e19d6.jpg

DSCN6293.jpg.315c592377342e00b87781c6d2ae887c.jpg

DSCN6212.jpg.04dcf0b132b46853e772308bc1904994.jpg

I arranged a tour for 12 adults with GreenGate Incoming last September. We did a combo tour of Northern Eysturoy and Gjogv and Visit to Vagar - panoramic tour. The tour lasted about 6-7 hours. To say it was fantastic wouldn't do the tour justice.

I highly recommend a smaller group to tour these beautiful islands. Working with Hilda at GreenGate was wonderful. She answered all my questions promptly, and believe me, I had a lot!

Go GreenGate, you won't be disappointed!:)

• 3 weeks later...

I would definitely second your comments about the tour you took, "To say it was fantastic wouldn't do the tour justice." I describe the Faroes as "otherworldly with the freshest air you never smelled."

Archived