luggage weight....concerned

On The Run

Someone please tell me how do all of you determine the weight of you luggage?:confused:

After reading how much they will charge for even (1) pound over :eek: I have a

real concern. I thought maybe the local independant mail office.

Thanks...........Jo

Hi On the Run!

First, I get on my scales. Then I get on my scales with my luggage. And then figure the difference!

I understand your concern....we flew with Easyjet while on our Baltic trip a few weeks ago from Copenhagen to Amsterdam. Our overage cost us $60.....

Happy Sailings!

rnjoel, that is exactly how we do it. Pack the bags, weigh ourselves with them and then without them and subtract the difference. I usually add a few pounds to the weight just in case there is a difference in the scales.

Never had to pay extra and we always weigh in just under the limit.

Hi Toto,

It was really funny....we actually had two flights on Easyjet, one from Copenhagen to London, claim baggage, check in again, and then one from London to Amsterdam. It was kind of a pain, but it was REALLY cheap. After our cruise was over (so it was hard to determine the weight with no scales), we went to the Copenhagen airport to check in on Easyjet. My bag was one kilo over the maximum, but they didn't charge me. I claimed it in London, checked in again, and my bag had gained 3 kilos in flight!! (And I didn't add anything to it!) They charged me for that segment.....

Happy Sailings!

Hi On the Run!

First, I get on my scales. Then I get on my scales with my luggage. And then figure the difference!

I understand your concern....we flew with Easyjet while on our Baltic trip a few weeks ago from Copenhagen to Amsterdam. Our overage cost us $60.....

Happy Sailings!

Thanks so much for all of your answers, I'm trying to go with as little as possible but

don't want to pay an arm & leg for something I think I can't do without.

Jo

For flights is it still 50 pounds & 70 pounds international per bag??

I always tend to have problems with my luggage. Usually have to juggle things around to even out the weight.

I will take some of the advise here & get something to help me.

I also have the Magellans travel scale. It has been wonderful. I use it on every trip we take. It is so nice to be able to weigh our luggage for our return flights. I always had to guess before and it could be very nerve wracking. I learned about the scale here at CC and it is one of the best tips I have ever found. Thanks everybody!!

Also Megellans had that scale out to me in about three days after I ordered it. They are a great company.

I just flew American from Las Vegas to London and all of our bags weighed between 54 and 64 pounds. We were not charged any additional monies coming or going so maybe the chart is wrong and American is 70 international like the others. I had assumed that so I am glad it worked out.

We weighed ours before the cruise but had to guess coming back. We were probably over on the biggest cases because the skycap at SeaTac joked "Haven't you guys heard of the 50 lb limit". But he also said they don't weigh them outside, but they would inside so the tip for the skycap was well worth it if we avoided those overage fees. This was just this past Sun. so if you are going out of Seattle, use the sky caps if you think you might be over.

Dosi, Coiran & Largin thanks for the Megellans info. I plan to order one before my next cruise.

Do you have the 50 pound scale or the 100 pound scale ??

I have the 50 pound scale. We primarily fly Southwest and they just lowered their limit to 50 pounds which is what inspired me to make the purchase!! I am so used to the 70 pound limit I knew my bags would be too heavy without using the scale!!

I always do the stand on the scale and then on the scale with bag in hand, routine!

I have a problem for my Sea Princess cruise in Sept., 21 days starting in England but ending in New York. Flying over to England, 70 lbs, not a problem home from New York may have an issue! I know I can do laundry onboard after the first 7 days, when I have time onboard before the next 14, but even so still requires a certain amount of clothes. I've done 16 days before but not 21, guess I'll have to do laundry, which I never do. I was in Italy for 17 days last fall, everyone I traveled with did laundry, washed stuff out, not me. I don't travel to spend time washing clothes.

First 7 we go down to Spain and Portugal, weather could be decent in early Sept., then you toss in Iceland and Greenland could be quite cold so I need layers and a jacket, maybe rain gear. I've got two months to figure it out!

Susie

I believe American airlines recently lowered their international baggage weight limit to 50 lbs. - it depends on the date you pruchased your ticket whether or not the lower restriction applies. I do not know how they are applying it at the airport.

I'm on a Sterling flight after the cruise. One checked bag with a maximum of 44 lbs. and one carry on with dimension restrictions. Does any one know if I also can have a personal item - like my purse?

I think the chart is correct, but you have the human factor to consider. Some counter people probably could care less about the overweight, if it is within a certain amount. Others would probably follow the airlines requiement. Coming back from Hawaii last year United charged us for overweight. We were 1 pound over going and no charge, and 5 pounds over coming back and were charged $25.

Over time the airline staff may get less forgiving on this issue. Especially with fuel costs going up. Heavier weight for the plane means more fuel used.

FredS, thanks for your link. Have been reading that & now getting nervous.

Not sure yet who I am flying with to Copenhagen.

I always bring a large suitcase, garment bag to check. Then I have a large carry-on with wheels, not to mention my large Vera Bradley bag (purse).

My purse weighs more that the listing for some carry-ons. ???

I have never travelled light & always managed to get by without fees. :confused: Had to juggle 20 pounds(I LOL reading being 1 pound over) last cruise. Always make the suitcase heavy & leave the garment bag lighter. Balance is key.......

Will my luck continue????

We just returned from Hawaii and could only take 50 pounds/bag. All of our bags were overwieght (even with buying another bag!!) but we tipped the SkyCap nicely and we were NOT charged one nickel! We were told our bags were over but the tip saved us tons.........

What I don't understand is that you can have 2 bags per person that weigh 49 lbs. a piece and it's ok. If you have one bag at 60-70 lbs they are actually carring less weight on the plane,also less to handle but would charge you. They should have a total bagage [carry-on too] allowance for each passanger. I am going to have to buy an extra bag that will add to my schlepping burden and increase my total weight. I think I have belabored this point enough.

Archived