Another Grand Cayman snorkeling question

MisterOJ2

So a couple years back, we did a Disney Cruise and me and the oldest daughter (only 7 at the time) went snorkeling on Castaway Cay, DCL's private island.

We had never snorkeled before and it was great. We rented our gear and were able to walk into the water and get our bearings and then swim out and see all the cool fish and whatnot. It was perfect and we really liked it.

Back in April, we were on an RCI cruise that went to Grand Cayman and we wanted to snorkel again, because GC has the reputation as having such great snorkeling. After doing some research on here, it seemed like Captain Marvin's was most people's choice for snorkeling, so we booked it - and I didn't like it.

The tour operators were great, but I just didn't like having to jump off the back of a boat into deep water. And it was a little rushed. I really liked the way we did it on Castaway Cay where we were able to take our time and do it at our own pace.

Now after a bit more research, it looks like there are spots like that on Grand Cayman that you basically can do on your own, right? What are the best ones? Should we just buy our own gear and take it, or is there a good spot to rent from?

Thanks!

I'll make a recommendation but it is conditional on one issue: will you be OK snorkeling in somewhat deep water so long as you can 'ease into' the situation rather than jump off a boat? Cuz here's the rub, most of the GOOD snorkeling is in deeper water around GC IMO and not accessed from a beach . . .

The two 'good spots' for DIY snorkeling are south of town, Eden Rock and Sunset House. At both of these locations there is a dive shop where you can rent good quality equipment for about $15 (mask, fins, snorkel and a safety vest), and there is at least an outdoor shower for a rinse after. Eden Rock is just south of town, maybe a 4 block walk and Sunset House is just under a mile. I walk it but it would be a short taxi ride.

At both of these locations the water for snorkeling will be from 10 to 50 foot deep - NO STANDING UP - and you can get in the water via a ladder. There is no beach - the shore is what they call Iron Shore. The snorkeling at both locations is similar. IME Eden tends to be more crowded tho because it is closer ... most times I'm at Sunset the number of cruise visitors is few to zero . . .

For your situation tho SUNSET House has one big advantage: their 'sea pool'. Here's an aerial view of the property

sunsethouse_zps9083c174.jpg seapool.jpg

You can see the pool in the center, and note the 'iron shore'. At the top of the picture is a square pool that's been cut into the iron shore. This is Sunset's sea pool:

" The pool is about 8-10 feet deep in different areas and is the perfect area to get back in the water after a layoff and test your buoyancy and make sure your skills are still as sharp as ever. When you ready there is an opening about 15 feet wide that will take you out onto the Sunset House reef where you can head straight out to the Mermaid or the Wreck, or the wall, or the cannon or the....you get the point. "

http://sunsethouse.com/seapool.php

Others can tell you options from a 'sandy' start. An advantage of these two is the dive shop as I mentioned - you can get gear and info about the site from the dive shop.

BTW your cost here is: renting equipment if needed, taxi if needed, libation if needed (but do NOT leave Sunset House w/out visiting My Bar). NO ADMISSION FEE and how long to decide to snorkel is UP TO YOU . . .

I've a Sunset House bias - been going there for week long dive trips since the mid 80's, last one was in March. dd did not want to leave

100_0133_zps6ae0678d.jpg

cuz on a nite dive she saw a basket star THIS big

100_0108_zps0c58a4f9.jpg

Sunset House sounds like a winner to me. Especially if it's the least crowded of the two, because on the day we're going to be at Grand Cayman, I think there are going to be 5 other cruise ships there too.

But just so I have this clear:

* It's about a mile walk to Sunset House from where the tender boats drop me off.

* I can rent any equipment I need there for a reasonable price (like $15 or so)

* And I can snorkel at my own pace, for as long as I want?

That really sounds like a winner in my book.

I would probably prefer a sandy beach to start on, but the sea pool looks like a winner. I don't really mind not being able to stand up - mostly, I just didn't care for hopping off the back of a boat and then having only 20 minutes or so to snorkel around.

One question about Sunset House though:

In looking at their rental price list, it looks like a "MFS set" (which I assume is mask, fins and snorkel) costs $10. They list them all separately at $5 each anyway. But the list doesn't mention anything about a snorkel vest. Do they provide those too?

ETA: One more question.

If this is what we decide to do in Grand Cayman, do we need to make any reservations or whatnot? Or, can we just walk in off the street, rent our gear and hit the water?

If this is what we decide to do in Grand Cayman, can we just walk in off the street, rent our gear and hit the water?

YEP Stay as long as you want ..... when the sun goes down it is a very popular place for night dives and MY BAR is one of the most popular places on the island for the local crowd . . .

The vest question came up a little while back and someone e-mail the shop and they replied a vest was included in their MFS price. I think it is an "if you want one" deal .... this is big boy diving .... no life guard is gonna blow a whistle and wave his finger at you for no vest. Sunset House assumes no liability by renting you equipment. You get wet at your own risk. Sadly I've seen some divers do some pretty dumb things here too, but the only rule I've seen the shop use is to 'close' then entry points when the weather gets really rough - they'll pull the ladders out of the water ... like on this day in March where the waves were breaking over the sea pool

100_0114_zps860a4285.jpg

On this day two divers who'd ignored the warnings of the staff were on the outside of the sea pool trying to swim in to exit the water . . .

Check SUNSETHOUSE.COM for additional details. The walk is under a mile. On my recent visit for a week we walked to town several times for meals. Less than 1 mile. Took us 15 minutes or so . . .

The water is 'free access'. The only rule is 'no outside tanks' for diving and most shoreside shops have this same rule ... if you dive from our place rent our tanks. They expect folks to have all their other equipment. But what Sunset rents is also top quality stiff. ScubaPro and Sub-Gear (owned by ScubaPro). The dive shop is next to the bar - just rent equipment there, ask for a brief, they have a site map built into the counter; then get wet

Stay as long as you want .....

Your next question is "are there lockers" and the answer is NO. Recommendation - just carry money/credit card, sea pass and a water proof ID and keep them with you in a good zip-lok bag. You can leave towels, shoes, and clothes on the shore ... everyone does and in my MANY trips there for diving no one has ever touched my stuff other than to move it cuz it was getting wet for some reason.

We didn't dive at Sunset House, but can second that a cold drink and some good eats at My Bar is a must if you're at Sunset House.

IF you arrive back to port and have some time to kill before boarding the ship, I would also recommend checking out the Wreck of the Cali. It's literally right off shore, just a few minutes from the port. Coming back from Sunset House you will PASS the port and stop at Rackham's restaurant, or from the dive shop JUST before it. Both the restaurant and the dive shop have water access, no fee. The wreck is straight ahead. Don't need to spend a lot of time, but it was fun to see.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151392683771788&l=22f608d9d8

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151392684546788&l=fab2bb2a12

With 5 ships in port, just make sure you keep an eye out for boats in the area. We were warned that sometimes the tenders make their way through that area ... but there were so many snorkel "tour" boats over the wreck I'm not sure how we could have been in any danger.

With 5 ships in port, just make sure you keep an eye out for boats in the area. We were warned that sometimes the tenders make their way through that area ... but there were so many snorkel "tour" boats over the wreck I'm not sure how we could have been in any danger.

why I don't recommend the Cali . . . tenders maybe and crowds almost always . . .

Cali is a good site I've visited on days there were no cruise ships . . . .

clarify:

Cali site is good

I DO recommend the site

just NOT on the average cruise ship day

DIVERS visiting Cayman watch for the 'no cruise ship' days .... that's when we go to town during the day and/or plan dives near the harbor

• 4 weeks later...

So I am MisterOJ's wife and I think Sunset Beach sounds awesome. However I do have reservations about how it will work with our 7 and 9 year old daughters. They are fairly strong swimmers but I'm hesitant to let them swim in 8-10 feet water for hours on end with no standing point. I suppose we can put vests on them. If the youngest gets tired before the oldest is done is there somewhere nearby I can take her to hang out? Thanks for any info! Looking forward to making plans as we leave in 42 days!!

So I am MisterOJ's wife and I think Sunset Beach sounds awesome. However I do have reservations about how it will work with our 7 and 9 year old daughters. They are fairly strong swimmers but I'm hesitant to let them swim in 8-10 feet water for hours on end with no standing point. I suppose we can put vests on them. If the youngest gets tired before the oldest is done is there somewhere nearby I can take her to hang out? Thanks for any info! Looking forward to making plans as we leave in 42 days!!

7 and 9 does apply a twist

I've spent many a week long stay at Sunset HOUSE since the mid 80's - the most recent just this past March. IME I have never seen the Sunset House staff question someone using the pool . . . . I seldom see anyone in the pool! As I've said there is not much cruise traffic that comes this far down the road. I can't promise BUT I suspect if you rent gear from the dive shop and buy some lunch at My Bar no one will care if you and dd use the pool. Altho the decision between asking permission and asking forgiveness is a valid concern . . . The folks here are SUPER friendly and I can not imagine them getting bent if you use the pool - if 50 cruise folks come and get rowdy, different story. You and dd playing in the pool that's otherwise empty . . .

Other than that - and going to look at their cage of iguanas (behind the SeaView rest' ... just walk up the driveway to the left of the dive shop ... they keep a few and feed them rest' veggie scraps) there isn't much .... no play ground. A small gift shop (they have ice cream bars!!) and the Cathy Church underwater photo school and gallery - cool to look at all her pictures!

** you could buy gear and carry it, then just hit Seven Mile Beach (no place to rent gear at Seven Mile sadly) ... kids have a beautiful white sand beach and shallow water to play in. Depending on where you park, food and drinks and chairs and umbrellas and all that stuff can be had. And you can snorkel to your heart's content. But you snorkel over sand ... you'll undoubtedly see fish. It may even remind you of Castaway.

I recommend Sunset for what I'd call 'real snorkeling' where you will see living coral reef and potentially good sized marine life. There is a GOOD sized 'cuda that hangs out on the Sunset reef most of the time and since March they have commented about a wild dolphin that made repeated visits and a Manta that hung around close to shore for a couple of days. Can't promise this stuff ... but you won't ever see it on the Seven Mile sand flats.

Of course the first time my 7yoa dd saw a 'cuda while IN the water she imitated our Savior with an amazing walk on water back to the boat (little flippers going 200 mph) and it took over 10 years to get her comfortable again! But she IS now. Here she is in Roatan last month - she spent 6 weeks as an underwater research intern sponsored by CocoView resort thru Univ of 'Bama Roll 'Tide

P7036408_zps9ca51e9a.jpg

** you could buy gear and carry it, then just hit Seven Mile Beach (no place to rent gear at Seven Mile sadly)

Actually, I'm pretty sure many of the watersports operators along SMB do rent snorkel gear. I know Red Sail does for sure, and they have three locations along the beach. http://www.redsailcayman.com/Cruise-ship

OP, I personally do not recommend that kids that young snorkel at the deep water sites unless they are strong swimmers and experienced snorkelers. DH has pulled a distressed ADULT cruise ship visitor out of the water at Eden Rock/Paradise Restaurant (the similar snorkel site by the port) more than once. The currents can be strong, and it's easy to get tired and in trouble, even with a vest.

If you want better snorkelling at a beach setting, have you checked out Rum Point? The snorkelling isn't as good as the deep water sites, but it's better than SMB. You could go there with an excursion, or rent a car and go on your own. It's about a 45 min drive from town by car, but it's very nice, and has shore snorkelling, watersports, a restaurant, etc.

but there you go ... Rum Point has no rental gear ... or facilities to speak of

yes the 'kids' factor was one I did not pick up on ... but that's gonna complicate any of the DIY places .....

there is a decision to be made here - 'real' snorkeling or kid friendly . . .

this could bring us back to Sting Ray city excursions where the water is not deep . . . .

Not my cup of tea but if it rocks your boat

Some of the good snorkeling sites from shore not mentioned (or that I missed) are Governor's Reef near the Westin (rent gear from the Red Sail concession there) where you have the amenities of the hotel's public areas at your disposal and Cemetery Beach (rent at Public Beach/Calico Jacks (10 minute walk) where there are no facilities

Also, Rum Point does have full concessions - Snorkel rentals, free chairs, showers, rest room, hammocks, volleyball, food & beverage, jet skis. Shallow snorkeling near beach that is OK, the best snorkeling on the island out at the Boulder garden and the barrier reef, but really for adept snorkelers.

Archived