Is over dressed as bad as under dressed?

Eglesbrech

"Good for you - but nobody, except yourself, will notice."

I will rephrase :) ---

Good for you - but nobody (who has even the slightest understanding of what is important in life) will notice.

However, those who think that such unimportant and insignificant matters as whether they should wear a tie or not on a cruiseship have significance in their lives may.

It is said that nobody on their death-bed ever said -- "I wish I had spent more time at the office" -- I believe that similar could be said for some of the terribly, terribly important matters that are commonly discussed here.

Barry

"Good for you - but nobody, except yourself, will notice."

I will rephrase :) ---

Good for you - but nobody (who has even the slightest understanding of what is important in life) will notice.

However, those who think that such unimportant and insignificant matters as whether they should wear a tie or not on a cruiseship have significance in their lives may.

It is said that nobody on their death-bed ever said -- "I wish I had spent more time at the office" -- I believe that similar could be said for some of the terribly, terribly important matters that are commonly discussed here.

Barry

Good evening, Barry:

I have a very good understanding of what is important in life.

I also have an understanding that when standards are lowered the lower they will fall. As I mentioned above, a cruise line we loved to sail and frequent lowered their standards and now it is 'whatever goes' in the dining room at night.

Why have a beautiful dining room with lovely place settings and waiters impeccably dressed if people are going to frequent it dressed in muscle shirts,:eek: beach cover ups and other clothing not appropriate for fine dining?

I believe that similar could be said for some of the terribly, terribly important matters that are commonly discussed here.

Barry, this is a cruise forum..it should be helpful, fun,:D and a break from 'the terribly, terribly important matters' in life. If you don't mind me asking, What 'terribly, terribly important matters do you think should be discussed on this forum?

best regards,

seasidegal

Good evening, Barry:

I have a very good understanding of what is important in life.

I also have an understanding that when standards are lowered the lower they will fall. As I mentioned above, a cruise line we loved to sail and frequent lowered their standards and now it is 'whatever goes' in the dining room at night.

Why have a beautiful dining room with lovely place settings and waiters impeccably dressed if people are going to frequent it dressed in muscle shirts,:eek: beach cover ups and other clothing not appropriate for fine dining?

I believe that similar could be said for some of the terribly, terribly important matters that are commonly discussed here.

Barry, this is a cruise forum..it should be helpful, fun,:D and a break from 'the terribly, terribly important matters' in life. If you don't mind me asking, What 'terribly, terribly important matters do you think should be discussed on this forum?

best regards,

seasidegal

Seasidegal, Bazzaw is well known around here for his strong antipathy towards formal nights and dress codes in general.

Once he even tried to claim that it was near impossible to purchase a tuxedo in Australia. Of course, that isn't true.

Bazzaw has made it very clear that he has no intentions of sailing with Cunard again, so why he would take the time to visit the Cunard board and post something on a thread topic he finds so unimportant is a conundrum.

Seasidegal, Bazzaw is well known around here for his strong antipathy towards formal nights and dress codes in general.

Once he even tried to claim that it was near impossible to purchase a tuxedo in Australia. Of course, that isn't true.

Bazzaw has made it very clear that he has no intentions of sailing with Cunard again, so why he would take the time to visit the Cunard board and post something on a thread topic he finds so unimportant is a conundrum.

No, I don't think that is correct. I read that Buzzaw dressed in formal attire for his Cunard voyages. It was an interesting conversation about finding just the right garments, but he did find quite fashionable and suitable attire.

Despite the fact that Buzzaw and I don't always agree, I must set the record straight: Buzzaw stated quite clearly on previous posts that he followed the formal dress code on Cunard ships.

My apology for speaking of Buzzaw in the third person.

Salacia

Edited by Salacia

No, I don't think that is correct. I read that Buzzaw dressed in formal attire for his Cunard voyages. It was an interesting conversation about finding just the right garments, but he did find quite fashionable and suitable attire.

Despite the fact that Buzzaw and I don't always agree, I must set the record straight: Buzzaw stated quite clearly on previous posts that he followed the formal dress code on Cunard ships.

My apology for speaking of Buzzaw in the third person.

Salacia

I never said that Bazzaw didn't adhere to the dress code whilst on board. I made no reference at all to what he wears on board a Cunard ship, or any other ship for that matter.

You are incorrect.

There is no reference at all to what Bazzaw wears. I said he has a "strong antipathy towards formal nights and dress codes in general" and this is true. One can still have a strong dislike of something (like a dress code) and yet still follow the rules (like adhere to the dress code).

Edited by Whitemarsh

If you don't mind me asking, What 'terribly, terribly important matters do you think should be discussed on this forum?

Well -- how about what British ales should be available on tap in Cunard ships?? :)

Barry

Well -- how about what British ales should be available on tap in Cunard ships?? :)

Barry

No No. Clotted cream and tea kettles, that's the ticket!

Opps, almost forgot: nippers, kippers, and kilts!

Edited by Salacia

Bazzaw is well known around here for his strong antipathy towards formal nights and dress codes in general.

No - you are wrong again.

What I have antipathy towards is snobbishness and pomposity - something which I have found in abundance in this particular CC sub-forum but which I have found absent onboard Cunard ships.

Barry

What I have antipathy towards is snobbishness and pomposity - something which I have found in abundance in this particular CC sub-forum but which I have found absent onboard Cunard ships.

Barry

It's clear that you equate people who enjoy and love (what's left) of the dress code as snobs - and therefore pompous.

I'm yet to notice any snobs or pompous people on the Cunard forum. And, for the record, if anyone on here suggests to someone (someone who has made it clear they don't like formal wear or dress-codes for dinner) that they should probably look at other cruise lines, that doesn't make them a snob, or pompous.

Edited by Whitemarsh

Barry

Okay I think I got it now...Discussing British Ale to you is like discussing the Dress Code is to others! :confused: I thought when you wrote "'terribly, terribly important matters" you would have been referring to:

1. Illness 2. Loss of job or income 3. Government Spying 4. Flooding...etc.:(

Great to read it is all about the Ale!

seasidegal

Seasidegal,

Have you seen this website, it has some great pictures of Cunard promo shots over the years. It's very interesting, especially as it has a lot of pics of QE2 interiors.

It's also fun to see what people wore over the decades.

Whitemarsh,

Thanks so much! That is a great site. I actually wore some of the same outfits in the 60's and 70's.:eek:

When I scrolled down to the bottom of this page..

http://www.rmsqueenelizabeth2.com/queens.html

There was Nick Faldo as an Officer on QE2!:eek:;)

Thanks again,

seasidegal

And, for the record, if anyone on here suggests to someone ... that they should probably look at other cruise lines, that doesn't make them a snob, or pompous.
I agree ;) .

There are so many ships out there, offering so much choice, that almost everyone can find a ship, or line, with an onboard style and atmosphere to suit them, where they can feel comfortable. Surrounded by people with similar tastes and interests :) . I wouldn't book Disney (amongst others), for example.

Why book the very opposite to what you want/where you'll feel comfortable/where you'll be happy. That is illogical :confused: . It makes no sense. It is similar to touching wet paint, despite the sign, and complaining that your hand has paint on it.

Would they:

Book Disney and complain about children?

Sail Carnival and complain about burger outlets?

Book Costa and complain about noise on board?

Sail Saga and complain about the number of old people?

Book AIDA and complain about the number of Germans?

Sail on a small yacht-like ship and complain there was only one/no pool?

So why is it OK to sail with Cunard, and then complain about the dress-code?

Please people, if you don't like; the dress-code, libraries, guest speakers, many quiet spaces, board games, afternoon tea, traditional understated decor, reading the Daily Programme (as apposed to being told what to do and when in an announcement), don't book Cunard.

If you're looking for; zip-lines, climbing walls, champagne fountains, on-deck movies, ice-rinks, noise and neon, wearing your gym-wear to dinner, don't book Cunard.

I don't understand what is so hard about that :confused: .

Best wishes to all :) .

Edited by pepperrn

Last Nov when boarding at Manhatten Terminal, 1st day with electricity aftermath of Sandy, it was teaming down with rain. We were waiting to board and in our line up was a lady, very slim dressed in a tourquoise wagon wheel hat, matching high heeled shoes and a calf length fur coat. To say she stood out was an understatement. I was hoping to see her on a formal night but, as most of you know, you rarely see the same person twice when you are on board.

Barry

We need to make an exception for Bazzaw since he is an ex-submariner and I can understand why he does not find dress issues to be important. I was reading an article in The Guardian which describes submariners as "hugging cruise missiles in their sleep, they don't see women for months and their biggest fear is 'going wibble' (stir crazy).

It is more interesting to me that Bazzaw wishes to cruise at all. I would have thought the whole cruising scene would have been too tame for him.

I agree ;) .

There are so many ships out there, offering so much choice, that almost everyone can find a ship, or line, with an onboard style and atmosphere to suit them, where they can feel comfortable. Surrounded by people with similar tastes and interests :) . I wouldn't book Disney (amongst others), for example.

Why book the very opposite to what you want/where you'll feel comfortable/where you'll be happy. That is illogical :confused: . It makes no sense. It is similar to touching wet paint, despite the sign, and complaining that your hand has paint on it.

Would they:

Book Disney and complain about children?

Sail Carnival and complain about burger outlets?

Book Costa and complain about noise on board?

Sail Saga and complain about the number of old people?

Book AIDA and complain about the number of Germans?

Sail on a small yacht-like ship and complain there was only one/no pool?

So why is it OK to sail with Cunard, and then complain about the dress-code?

Please people, if you don't like; the dress-code, libraries, guest speakers, many quiet spaces, board games, afternoon tea, traditional understated decor, reading the Daily Programme (as apposed to being told what to do and when in an announcement), don't book Cunard.

If you're looking for; zip-lines, climbing walls, champagne fountains, on-deck movies, ice-rinks, noise and neon, wearing your gym-wear to dinner, don't book Cunard.

I don't understand what is so hard about that :confused: .

Best wishes to all :) .

Great post!

Good for you - but nobody, except yourself, will notice.

Barry

Some will, they are the "people watchers" (not universally popular here)

I rather like to see the occasional refusenik at dinner.

David.

David.

You can number me among the "people watchers". I just love to see a thoroughgoing dress-code-denier in action, and the more outrageous the better. Really adds to the sum of human happiness as far as I'm concerned.

:cool:

J

David.

You can number me among the "people watchers". I just love to see a thoroughgoing dress-code-denier in action, and the more outrageous the better. Really adds to the sum of human happiness as far as I'm concerned.

:cool:

J

They're not baby Pandas in a zoo. :)

Just summarising Pepper's excellent post in verse :D

J

If children you cannot abide

Then Disney you'd better avoid

If buckets of beer make you spew

Then Carnival isn't for you

If you aren't a fan of hard rock

Then, on Costa you could get a shock

If seniors drive you quite gaga

Then you'd better not sign up with Saga

If German is not your own lingo

Then steer well clear of AIDA, by jingo

If small ships you find pretty cool

Don't gripe when there's only one pool

Now, if all of that you find hard

Here's a word of advice from your bard

If you don't mind a DJ or Tux

And you like dressing up, well then, shucks

Is it really so tricky?

Just dust off your dicky*

And splash out on a cruise with Cunard

* NB: UK slang - informal term for a bowtie

Cruachan

Thoughtful of you to supply translation of "dickey", when I first came to USA (Boston) I said to someone who was very glum "Keep your pecker up" which in East End of London ("Call the Midwife " Poplar) means "look on the bright side of things" You can guess the horrified looks I received and what the "yanks " thought I meant ! .

Even now my Southern Son in law sometimes asks my daughter "what did your mother mean?"

I will be one of the "Overdressed "19 nights starting Saturday .

Lynn

On the question of over - under dressing some bloggers have obviously not been on a Costa cruise. On one occasion, formal night, a newly married couple appeared direct from a Milan Haute Courtier establishment some others appeared in jeans and tee shirt, no one batted an eyelid. It takes all kinds.

Cruachan

Thoughtful of you to supply translation of "dickey", when I first came to USA (Boston) I said to someone who was very glum "Keep your pecker up" which in East End of London ("Call the Midwife " Poplar) means "look on the bright side of things" You can guess the horrified looks I received and what the "yanks " thought I meant ! .

Even now my Southern Son in law sometimes asks my daughter "what did your mother mean?"

I will be one of the "Overdressed "19 nights starting Saturday .

Lynn

Two nations divided by a common language.

Have yourself a fantastic time, Maam.

J