Former RCCL employee cruises the Breakaway!

freddy07043

[quote name='DavyB']Thanks for a great review Freddy. I loved that you were fair and included pros and cons.

As I've always said, most cruise lines have at least one thing that they're excel at better than the rest of their competition. I think you've hit the nail on the head with NCL and their entertainment. EXCELLENT!! However, I'll have to say that entertainment on Allure was pretty good. ;-)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the nice remarks! Yes Allure does have great entertainment! NCL and RCL are on par with each other I think entertainment wise...a very important factor in choosing what line to cruise! =)

You make good points in your review especially about the service. It was lacking! And the crowds were a big problem. I also liked Le Bistro and the escargot, one of my favorite restaurants. Entertainment was good like you said but problem was finding a seat. Glad you were able to enjoy the cruise with your family!

Thank you so much Freddy. I've been reading so many negative reviews I had to get off the boards. So great to get your "professional" opinion. I was in the travel business for 18 years so I am very picky since I have had the luxury to experience some amazing places, hotels, ships, etc. Besides the Disney Cruise with my family (not the new ships) I haven't sailed on a cruise for 15 years. My frame of reference is Sovereign of the Seas - how old is that! So when I read these comparisons between RCCL and NCL it doesn't apply to me. I'm sure these new class of ships are amazing so I'm really looking forward to sailing tomorrow. Besides, I'm on vacation with my 3 favorite people, husband and 2 sons and our dear friends with 2 boys. Just to see the excitement these boys have for the cruise is enough to enjoy any vacation! Personally I am looking forward to Bermuda than the cruise.

Thank you for setting my mind at ease.

Any tips on closet/drawer space? We are in a mini suite. Also, finding lounge chairs outside? Doesn't have to be near the pool. Lastly, when did you eat in the Manhattan room and what was the wait?

TX121- Yes I have cruised RCL as a passenger. The company allows us to cruise on a discounted rate and experience the different ships in the fleet. Its funny though because you might bump into crew members you used to work with and they look at you funny and ask "where's your nametag?" lol! Sometimes you feel out of place when you cruise the company you work for because you have to remind yourself that you are a guest and don't have to greet everyone that you pass or wear a certain dress code when in public areas. But yes there is a big difference when cruising as a guest--positive one.

[quote name='silverstyle']Thank you so much Freddy. I've been reading so many negative reviews I had to get off the boards. So great to get your "professional" opinion. I was in the travel business for 18 years so I am very picky since I have had the luxury to experience some amazing places, hotels, ships, etc. Besides the Disney Cruise with my family (not the new ships) I haven't sailed on a cruise for 15 years. My frame of reference is Sovereign of the Seas - how old is that! So when I read these comparisons between RCCL and NCL it doesn't apply to me. I'm sure these new class of ships are amazing so I'm really looking forward to sailing tomorrow. Besides, I'm on vacation with my 3 favorite people, husband and 2 sons and our dear friends with 2 boys. Just to see the excitement these boys have for the cruise is enough to enjoy any vacation! Personally I am looking forward to Bermuda than the cruise.

Thank you for setting my mind at ease.

Any tips on closet/drawer space? We are in a mini suite. Also, finding lounge chairs outside? Doesn't have to be near the pool. Lastly, when did you eat in the Manhattan room and what was the wait?[/QUOTE]

You're welcome =) Glad I can help. My advice is to try to adjust your schedule as best you can to avoid the crowds. It might be hard since you are traveling with young children but it is possible. Usually the pool area and slides started clearing out around 5-6pm, so maybe aim for then to use the area. There are loungers on the upper decks that are not usually as busy as by the pool. I had a interior room, I thought the closet space and drawers were sufficient. I was sharing with my nephew who didnt have much and he usually stayed with my sister, so I had enough space. It may be tight with more then 2 people though. We ate in the Manhattan room later in the night around 9pm ish, which may not be the best time because you have children, but I heard if you go early, theres not that much of a wait. We waited 15 minutes max for a table. I hope this helps and that you have an awesome time! =)
By the way, wow 15 years of not sailing...times have changed with these bigger ships. Sovereign of the Seas is no longer part of the RCCL fleet, so its been awhile!

Enjoyed reading your review. We were on the same sailing as you. Wish I knew that guy was buying drinks, my 23 year old son would of liked to meet him, lol. We had a great time. Waiting for cc to post my review, I submitted it on Wednesday.

Archived