Has anyone ever.....

IMKTDQT810

Moved stuff off of lounge chairs? I have been doing reading (like all day, just because I can) and I am reading about "Chair Hogs" across the boards on all the ships. So I wonder, has anyone ever got to an area early enough to know that 30 some chairs with flip-flops or towels do not belong to the 10 ppl in the pool, and move the stuff off to enjoy a chair? I'm just thinking...how does the owner of those items not know that a staff member didn't come by and move it. I just wondered if anyone has ever done it. Knowing myself (and go ahead and flame me if you must). But if I got up to the pool at 7 am and there were only a few folks in the pool and tons of things all over chairs I would call attention to those in the pool to a general chair area and ask if anything belonged to anyone and if the answer was "no" I would prolly remove a huge bulk of items and THEN let a staff member know that I neatly piled everything up in one area (out of the way of course) incase someone later complained.

Of course by doing all this my DH and DS would prolly disown me. But for now....I'm considering it if that is what happens. Have you done this? or considered doing it?

We will watch chairs..note the stuff thats on it and come back later-- if that same stuff is there we will move it.

At 7am you dont know if that person put the stuff on the chair and went to go get a cup of coffee. so allow some time to pass.

January on the Glory there was a whole section that sat empty with stuff on the chairs-- we talked to a crew member and he moved the stuff to the bottom or the chairs-- 30 mintues later he removed it all

If you need to use a seat, just sit down in it. There is no chair saving. I wouldn't advise moving people's personal items, however. If a confrontation ensues when the other party shows up, move to resolve the situation diplomatically. 99 times out of 100, this should do the trick. If you encounter somebody who is unpleasant to deal with, you have to gauge whether dealing with this person is worth your time and effort.

I read a thread were a gentleman did move someone's things he had gotten to the serenity deck around 8am and there were towels or what not in all the clamshell beds he and his wife gave it a good couple of hours and then decided okay those are ours now. When the original "owners" came back they complained that they had only just left to get lunch he promptly told them they were full of it, that he had been there since 8 that morning. So the ladies shared the other clamshell they had saved. I wouldn't be ugly. But if I notice a chair or any seat for that matter is empty for over 45mins and I want it I'm taking it. I would never save a seat in this manner, it's rude!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

When we cruised on the Breeze in April, it was being enforced by the staff. They put a sticker on your towel, with a time, and tell you, 45 minutes later, your items will be moved to the towel shack. Fair enough. We got up to go get a Blue Iguana Burrito for breakfast, and bring it back to our chairs to enjoy. We had stickers. Some WOMAN and her LARGE family started to take over our chairs. We were gone MAYBE 10 minutes. DH wasn't having it. They got INTO it:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: DH won...I don't think she understood how it worked, but she was cursing at us in Spanish, and pointing, for a GOOD 15 minutes after that incident. BTW, the breakfast burritos, ROCKED!!!!!:D

What is the appropriate amount of time that a chair or clamshell (Seren deck) would be left vacant before it would be considered "Chair Hogging"?

If someone leaves to get a slice of pizza and has to wait for one to come out and it takes 15 minutes- fine.

What about the people who leave for LIDO for lunch and get back in less than 45 minutes? Would this be appropriate?

I am just trying to guage what others feel is the appropriate timeframe that a chair be left vacant (but of course with personal belongings or towel) before most people feel it is a case of CHAIR HOGGING?

-Boomer

When we cruised on the Breeze in April, it was being enforced by the staff. They put a sticker on your towel, with a time, and tell you, 45 minutes later, your items will be moved to the towel shack. Fair enough. We got up to go get a Blue Iguana Burrito for breakfast, and bring it back to our chairs to enjoy. We had stickers. Some WOMAN and her LARGE family started to take over our chairs. We were gone MAYBE 10 minutes. DH wasn't having it. They got INTO it:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: DH won...I don't think she understood how it worked, but she was cursing at us in Spanish, and pointing, for a GOOD 15 minutes after that incident. BTW, the breakfast burritos, ROCKED!!!!!:D

This is exactly why we go one at a time to get something to eat or whatever. If you are in a prime location then there are people watching you like hawks. Just go one at a time and you never have that issue. If we are cruising kidless then we go away from the crowds anyway so that is not an issue.

What is the appropriate amount of time that a chair or clamshell (Seren deck) would be left vacant before it would be considered "Chair Hogging"?

If someone leaves to get a slice of pizza and has to wait for one to come out and it takes 15 minutes- fine.

What about the people who leave for LIDO for lunch and get back in less than 45 minutes? Would this be appropriate?

I am just trying to guage what others feel is the appropriate timeframe that a chair be left vacant (but of course with personal belongings or towel) before most people feel it is a case of CHAIR HOGGING?

-Boomer

I personally feel that if you are getting up to go sit down and eat somewhere else, that is hogging. IMO, that is ridiculously rude to hog a chair while you're inside Lido eating lunch. If you are in the pool, using the restroom, grabbing a drink or some food to enjoy at your chair, that's fine.

However, the rule that has been set is 30 minutes, regardless of where you are. So if a chair has been left unattended for 30 minutes, it's fair game in my mind. But if I try to take a hogged chair (meaning stuff actually on the chair) and the "owner" comes back within 30 minutes of me claiming it, they're in the right to take their seat back, a d I'll give it up. But at 31 minutes, I'm not moving.

Meredith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

LOL! I wouldn't have given in either. I don't back up for any one if I am in the right. I don't chair hog and I don't like people who do either. As for the beast cursing you in Spanish, I would have just laughed in her face, maybe a couple of hand gestures while I'm at it. :D

I guess I have never been a chair hog nor ever will be. But from our last cruise (over 3 yrs) I remember it being an issue and being as non-confrontational as possible we just kept looking until we found someplace with two chairs side by side. Now with saying that, at times we would leave the pool deck all together and wander the ship with the hopes that when we can back we would find two...sometimes we did and sometimes we didn't. This was DH's first cruise and I didn't realize how much of an impact that left with him when folks asked us how the honeymoon was he would mention that fact of "no chairs around and having to try and come back and get one" etc. So I figured this time I will be vocal in asking if I see something that hasn't moved all morning.

I read on another post, if you have a phone on you, take a pic which normally saves the file as the time (not even sure if my phone does that). So if someone confronts you then you have a digital proof at 8 am their stuff was there and I was now 10 etc. Not sure if I would go that far....but all in all, I think I would contact the staff after 45 mins or so.

I personally feel that if you are getting up to go sit down and eat somewhere else, that is hogging. IMO, that is ridiculously rude to hog a chair while you're inside Lido eating lunch. If you are in the pool, using the restroom, grabbing a drink or some food to enjoy at your chair, that's fine.

However, the rule that has been set is 30 minutes, regardless of where you are. So if a chair has been left unattended for 30 minutes, it's fair game in my mind. But if I try to take a hogged chair (meaning stuff actually on the chair) and the "owner" comes back within 30 minutes of me claiming it, they're in the right to take their seat back, a d I'll give it up. But at 31 minutes, I'm not moving.

Meredith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I agree with you here Meredith. It is rude to go off and sit down to eat somewhere else while holding a chair on deck at the same time. I have moved items and taken them to the attendant myself, usually after 30 to 45 minutes of waiting to see if anyone comes back. If someone comes back later for the chair you don't have to say that you moved the items, just that the attendant has them. It has never taken me 30 minutes to get through any buffet line.:)

If my DW and I are looking for chairs and they are mostly hogged and no 2 chairs together I'll find one chair amongst the hogged chairs, push them down creating space for another chair and go find another chair somewhere else and bring it over. I've had chair hoggers come back and start a verbal altercation with us saying we moved their stuff and stole their chair until I make them look stupid by pointing out that all of the chairs they "HOGGED" are still there with all of their crap still on them. It's funny to watch someone slink away with their tail between their legs. ;)

Archived