Anybody else to poor to cruise every year?

Gabsabunch42

Great topic! I don't make much money, either, and I like to travel solo. Any penny pinching advice from CCr's would be appreciated.:p

Kill off your small Credit cards quick. Then dont use them or just keep 1, the one that gives you the most credit line with no Fees.

Write down your Bills as to what you have to pay each month on Paper and name it Jul 05 bills, what ever is left over figure in Food and Gas, then transfer 75% of it to Savings.

Work on Aug 05 Budget as mentioned above and see what you can cut that month.

See what you can do away with, Cable T.V., Starbucks Coffee, Cell Phone, Smoking etc.

The Key is Writing it down Paper so you actually see whats going out.

Kill off your small Credit cards quick. Then dont use them or just keep 1, the one that gives you the most credit line with no Fees.

Write down your Bills as to what you have to pay each month on Paper and name it Jul 05 bills, what ever is left over figure in Food and Gas, then transfer 75% of it to Savings.

Work on Aug 05 Budget as mentioned above and see what you can cut that month.

See what you can do away with, Cable T.V., Starbucks Coffee, Cell Phone, Smoking etc.

The Key is Writing it down Paper so you actually see whats going out.

Wennfred, I do keep an excel spreadsheet to do my finances (budget). Our main problem is that hubby was laid off for a couple of years (airline industry) and had to change career fields, and its taking time to get established in this new field. Unfortunately, I don't see where we can cut corners on our expenses. We don't have much outgoing, but we really don't have a whole lot coming in either:( We are finally just now starting to stay at an even keel (sp?). We don't have any car payments, but we do have cell phones (family plan) because hubby's job is very mobile. We mostly stay home and don't eat out much, so we do spend a lot on food, but the combination of being a working gal and being a lousy cook equals convenience foods, which is sometimes as expensive as getting takeout! Thanks for the tips!

Oh and I forgot -- I use my Discover card for everything that I can (cash back bonus!!) and yes I pay it off every month. I strictly use it for convenience. I have a mastercard that I only use when they don't take discover.

When I told my DD (10yrs) that there would be no cruise next year - I was told that she couldn't live without one!!!! She's only been on 2!!!! So we plunked down a deposit and start a fund thru the rest of the year that even she contributes to. This past cruise wasn't so bad I was only scrambling for airfare at the last minute, we had saved up for everything else.

Save the airfare--When I was very young my parents could not afford airfare anywhere, so we drove to New Orleans--from Boston, and also from Northern Virginia. Packed lunches and ate at nice rest areas. Had a reasonable dinner, and stayed at Holiday Inn for one nite before the continuing long journey to New Orleans. That was sometime a really good part of the vacation. You will be tired when you arrive, but the ship is a great place to catch up.

All these are good ideas. However, I already

drive a paid for 10 y/o car

eat out 1x/month

don't do starbucks

carry my lunches daily

eat red meat only 1-2x/week

use the library for books and videos

shop at Aldi, sales, dollar stores, local fruit markets for consumables (food, paper goods, cleaning supplies)

don't have cable or cell phone

spent only $88.50 on clothes (all clearence) this year 2 outfits for 4 showers for the DDs and dress/shoes/bag for youngest DDs wedding

Don't see where else i can cut.

All these are good ideas. However, I already

drive a paid for 10 y/o car

eat out 1x/month

don't do starbucks

carry my lunches daily

eat red meat only 1-2x/week

use the library for books and videos

shop at Aldi, sales, dollar stores, local fruit markets for consumables (food, paper goods, cleaning supplies)

don't have cable or cell phone

spent only $88.50 on clothes (all clearence) this year 2 outfits for 4 showers for the DDs and dress/shoes/bag for youngest DDs wedding

Don't see where else i can cut.

You still manage to cruise yearly tho :)

Certainly understand where you are coming from. We took our first cruise this year and absolutely loved it, but will have to do a lot of saving to take our next which we are hoping to do in 3 years. We would like to see our youngest be away from home so we don't have to get someone to stay with him. We also don't live within driving distance of a port, so have to fly and have that added expense. For us this is a real luxury, but one we are certainly trying to do again.

We had a balcony cabin, which although it costs more was probably the only thing I could handle because I am quite claustrophobic.

What I have seen is that a lot of people who cruise all the time don't mind inside cabins, are able to get some good discounts ( such as military) and have no transportion expenses. That would certainly make things more viable for a lot of us. Also we are Canadian and so have to add 20-30% on top of list prices to cover exchange. So cheer up and save those pennies, and hopefully we will all get to go again soon.

We started out going every two years until we realized that just saving $20 a week can get you almost on a ship....start a christmas club account and us it for cruise money...Dennis

Wennfred, I do keep an excel spreadsheet to do my finances (budget). Our main problem is that hubby was laid off for a couple of years (airline industry) and had to change career fields, and its taking time to get established in this new field. Unfortunately, I don't see where we can cut corners on our expenses. We don't have much outgoing, but we really don't have a whole lot coming in either:( We are finally just now starting to stay at an even keel (sp?). We don't have any car payments, but we do have cell phones (family plan) because hubby's job is very mobile. We mostly stay home and don't eat out much, so we do spend a lot on food, but the combination of being a working gal and being a lousy cook equals convenience foods, which is sometimes as expensive as getting takeout! Thanks for the tips!

Oh and I forgot -- I use my Discover card for everything that I can (cash back bonus!!) and yes I pay it off every month. I strictly use it for convenience. I have a mastercard that I only use when they don't take discover.

You're doing great, If you can adjust your Income Tax deductions alittle, more Married 0 or Single 2, that way the Feds will be are taking out more money and you have a good Return next March...

BCC99, everytime I've seen your icon picture in this post , I keep thinking, "He looks like Jessica Simpson's brother-in-law." LOL

I'm on the grace of my parents for the cruise I went on. I'm paying for my college education, so, I'm putting all of my $$$$$ towards that, which seems like nothing, until you write the check.

My parents have jobs that make it hard to plan cruises when they both can go (Mom's a nurse, can't take vacation @ Christmas; required to work other holidays; Dad works for a large amusement park that is in operation April-1st January, so he's got to work.) So their vacation times are conflicting and airfare is mildly expensive from PA to FL.

Someone mentioned quarters, which my dad does. He doesn't spend any of the new quarters LOL He is doing it as a competition to see how many he has. So far, he's been doing it for 2 years, he has almost $900. He's so proud of himself because he thinks he's saving money (But he won't spend them because they're the new quarters LOL).

As others have mentioned, you can cruise off-season (we take our kids out of school), be flexible with your dates and destinations (cruising the best deal), not be so choosy about which ship (although I have seen great deals on Carnival's newest ship), cruising out of ports that are local enough to drive to or get inexpensive airfare to, booking an inside cabin, spending wisely on the cruise! The only time we end up with a balance due is if we happen to play bingo once or twice! We really aren't drinkers and while on a cruise we bring some of our own sodas and waters, etc. And we drink the "free" drinks - lemonade, ice tea, etc. Our tips are on the statement and we usually tip more than recommended. This keeps our costs down. In addition to cruising, we go other places as well on vacation. So for us, often the cost is not as difficult as getting the time off work...

I cruise a couple times a year. I for sure don't have money. I'm on a fixed income. The advantage is I cruise with friends so that's only one fare. I also cruise off season and am able to drive to the port. Sometimes the air fares are as much as the cruise. I also watch my spending while I'm on the ship. Because of cost all my cruises have been to the Western Carribean. For me I really like the experience on the ship. I usually only go on one excersion per cruise. So now I have really been on all the excersions that interest me. Some ports I just shop or just stay on the ship. As I'm reading this it really sounds boreing, but I have a ball.

Joyce

Joyce,

I will be going on a cruise to the W. Caribbean in a couple of months (after a hiatus of 10 years since my last cruise). I've been on two cruises thus far, once when I graduated from H.S. (7-day to E. Caribbean) and once when I was in college (3-day to Ensenada). My parents paid for both trips... Now that I'm in my mid-30s I have saved up to FINALLY afford a cruise. Still, it is less than a grand, so very affordable.

Anyway, can you give me pointers on excursions?

We cruise twice a year and rent a ship and captain. There are 4 or 5 families that go together so we split the costs. I travel often on business so the airfare is set using mileage.

May I make a suggestion? Get a credit card that works for you such as a rewards card and make sure you pay it in full each month. Put everything on it and you will rack up miles or cash. Make sure you don't put more on it then you can afford to pay in full each month.

This X-Mas we are actually going to cruise commercially for the first time in 25 years. We will be on the Liberty. Our 16 yr old daughter asked if we could do this. This will be her first time going commercially. She is the one that told me about this site so you might find me lurking around the threads.:eek:

If I look at my bank account and all my bill that over due, I will say I couldn't afford to cruise. But I only have one life and I am going to live it to the fullest. IF I can pay everyone else, why can't I do something I love and that cruising. I pinch here and there to save for my cruises. My husband always treats me and the children once a year. Then I treat myself with a group of friend for my birthday. While on the cruiseship we start planning for the next year. We know we cannot spurge doing the year and of course I'm not going to neglect my other obligations. but if I can't get away and relax my mind, body and soul, I'm not even good for myself. People that surrounds me always think I got a lot of money, (if they only knew). I plan very carefully and I don't try to cruise places I know truly can't afford. I just want to cruise somewhere, anywhere.

Too blessed not to cruise!

Hi,

We are lucky to go on a cruise every 18 months or so. We have to fly in anywhere that the ships sail from. We also have to pay in U.S.$. Depending on how our Canadian$ is doing, that can be quite a bit. I think if you get on a cruise ship at all, you are very lucky. If we didn't take our kids it would only be half as much, they deserve a holiday just as much as we do

Brenda

Hi,

We book our cruise a year in advance. Between us, we have 500$ taken off our cheques for Canada Savings Bonds. By the time we go on the cruise, we don't owe a thing. We just have to pay the sail and sign card off when we come home. Knowing there is a cruise in our future makes us not spend as much throughout the year as well.

Brenda

:rolleyes: boy wish we could cruise every year, not to mention more than once a yr..I will have 2 in college and another one in 3 yrs... I guess I'm selfish, I help them with college, and have taken them on 2 cruises, for their hs graduation.. But they have student loans..

I work mostly for fun things, I'm blessed. but I still can't go every year. we usually do a land vacation on the off year.. We have only gone on 4 total..

Check prices, we went with couples in nov.. old boat Majesty. shorter cruise, but fun to get away. It was $220.00 pp. for the cruise, too bad we had to fly there Miami... the weather was not a good, little cool water, but hey it was a great time, and for the food, room and entertaiment what a deal... it was for 4 nights... just fun to get away.. I don't know when our next will be.. want to do a Hawaii cruise with adults only, for all our anniv.. our 25th. any ideas of the best time... I want to get a get deal, but I also want to go at the best time,because who knows when we could go again.... thanks... and save those pennies....lol....It does make going back to work better... I really had a hard time this week... :eek:

it seems like there are alot of us, i took my frist cruise in 2002 and 3 and 1/2 years later we are taking our second. I have had to work a lot of overtime to afford this, and still i don't have enough to do everything that i would like too

BCC99, everytime I've seen your icon picture in this post , I keep thinking, "He looks like Jessica Simpson's brother-in-law." LOL

Hey, Jenna...if I were, my cruise financing difficulties would be easily resolved! :D (PS--I'm not sure I've ever seen the guy, is this a good thing?)

Not sure if anybody mentioned this--for those who aren't picky about their ports and want to sail in the Caribbean, gambling with hurricane season can be a great way to save money. The summer family travel season is over and the kiddies are back in school, and the odds of being affected by tropical weather are pretty low. This year will be my second time sailing in September, plus a cruise last October...and I've only had one portcall cancelled (Grand Cayman last year, after Hurricane Ivan). At this point, I've done the Caribbean so many times that thought of being diverted doesn't really bother me, when I compare that potential inconvenience to the money I'll save. Use the extra money to buy travel insurance, and enjoy!

Hey, Jenna...if I were, my cruise financing difficulties would be easily resolved! :D (PS--I'm not sure I've ever seen the guy, is this a good thing?)!

Yes....:)

Cruising in hurricane season would be nice if I was able to get away from college LOL

Well living in Ontario where the taxes can kill ya ( 15% ) it is hard to save money to travel.

I have not travelled in Canada, because of the taxes. We travel mainly to Florida ( disney ) and have done 2 cruises.

With our currency being majority coin ( $ 1.00 & $2.00 ) it is too heavy to carry around. We empty all of our loose change each day into a piggy bank and after Christmas every year we roll it and take our vacation. Usually around $ 1500.00

If the piggy bank becomes full before Christmas we cash it in and take a small vacation.

My DH and I don't buy gifts for each other, we use that money towards the trip as well.

I also use an airmiles card to take care of Car Rentals, Every time we stay at a motel I try to use Choice Priveleges so we earn free nights for short getways or to use as pre-cruise stays.

Also I try not to stop at Tim Hoton's more than once a day for my coffee.

This saves nearly $ 2.00 per day alone. ( $ 700.00 Per Yr ) LOL........

There are ways to make it happen... :)

We always let our kids roll our coins each year for a Disneyland trip or something similar (we live in California). Whenever someone comments to me about how can we afford to be going again, I always ask how many times they went to Starbucks this week for coffee!! lolAt $3-4 a pop, that quickly adds up to one person's cost of a cruise! Sounds like making it at home would help! haha If you think about your expenses over the course of a week, you might find some great ways to save a few dollars here and a few more dollars there... taking your own lunch to work instead of eating out, cooking dinner at home instead of eating out or ordering take out, shopping off-season for school clothes for kids and your family, minimizing Christmas and birthdays that often seem to get out of control nowadays... For me, I LOVE to read, yet refuse to buy books new! The costs are outrageous! So I shop garage sales specifically looking for my books! Also, over the past several years we have vacationed right after Christmas or right before and we let our kids know that the vacation IS a major portion of their Christmas gift! They get a few things (small things) from us and Santa and still get gifts from family and friends so they are not "missing out" and besides, they get a wonderful vacation full of memories that last long past the toys they tire of or outgrow so quickly! Also, when we have done travel in Dec/Jan, my parents have often given the kids gifts based on our travel - certificates for excursions, etc. Makes it fun!

You do save a lot of money if you can leave from a port near your house.

Also, we ALWAYS book inside rooms. We're never in our rooms, anyway. I'm afraid if I get an oceanview, I'll be spoiled and want it every time! (We did get a free upgrade to an obstructed oceanview for our next trip).

We cram all four of us (two older teens) into one room. The kids would rather be cramped than not go. Husband says he would rather cruise twice in an inside cabin than once in an outside (matter of preference).

Also, we have taken kids out of school to go at the cheapest times (early January, etc.). We figure a trip to other countries and seeing how they live is a great education.

We spend a lot of time on the internet looking for great deals. I believe last minute deals (up to 90 days out) have the best fares. They want to fill vacant rooms. We also love the auction website and have booked several there for great prices.

Of course lots of us are too poor to cruise. Being a single woman for many years, I've learned to cut many corners to be able to afford my one luxury in life.....cruising. I have recently started doing CC group cruises with the $25 deposit & planning & booking way ahead, I am able to save the money for onboard expenses & pay for the cruise while waiting for time to cruise.

Cruising may put me in the poor house but every penny spent on cruising has been well worth it. :D Compared to land vacations.....cruising is still a better bargain.

Archived