Credit Card - which one do I choose?

Hi all,

I have had my SetSail Pass through, and there are two options on it:

I choose to pay my onboard charges in the currency of my card. I choose to use Royal Caribbean International's currency conversion programme. This currency conversion transaction is based on wholesale exchange rates collected from Bloomberg, plus a 3% international currency conversion fee. My choice to have charges billed in the currency of my card is final. I accept that the exchange rate used will be the rate in effect at the time the amounts are charged to my card.

I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my onboard charges to the currency of my card in lieu of participating in the Royal Caribbean International currency conversion programme.

Which one do I chooose for the best rate. I remember a thread on it somewhere, but it doesn't appear on the search.

Many thanks

Ade

We always choose the second option:

I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my onboard charges to the currency of my card in lieu of participating in the Royal Caribbean International currency conversion programme.

It may depend on what your bank charges but RCI gives a very poor exchange rate. The general consensus seems to be to let RCI charge you in US dollars and let your bank do the conversion.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]We agree that it is best to have your own credit card company do the conversion because we hear that the cruise lines charge an outrageous currency conversion fee if you allow them to do the conversion.

Here in the USA we have some credit cards that do not charge any fee at all for currency conversion and also include free travel insurance when you pay for your trip using their card. I hope you have these type credit cards in Wales also.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

I agree with the others that having your credit card company do the conversion is preferable. I just want to add that that there have been many stories here on CC about people choosing that option, but Royal somehow missing it and doing the conversion themselves. So it's a good idea to visit Guest Services early in the cruise and confirm the selection.

Archived