Packing with Little Ones

mlfallis

Ok so I have read all the packing threads but still can't find what I am looking for.

We are traveling in Feb to take the kids on their second cruise (expect for the baby it will be his first). We have the same family room we had last time so I know it can store our stuff no problem but I really want to cut back on how much I take per person and take for 5 people in the same number we did for 4 last time.

Our cruise is 8 days plus 2 nights before and one after. My question is how many pieces per kid? They will be 6, almost 4, and 1.5 yrs old. All boy all stain magnetics. How many shirts, shorts, underwear, etc.?

I need to know before the summer clothes all disappear from the stores. I am sure my oldest will go up a size so I better get shopping.

Also self laundry tips for the bathroom sink are welcome. We are sailing with Royal but willing to get some laundry done by ship if it means less baggage.

Thanks.

All of our cruises have been on ships with self-service laundries (a major deal breaker for us as we like to go on longer cruises or cruises combined with land trips), but my daughter and I do have a few shirts that need to be hand washed so I try to remember to put some Woolite in a travel sized bottle and then hang in the shower (after trying to soak up extra moisture with a towel first).

But last cruise, I somehow forgot to pack my bottle and clothes pin hooks. So I had a choice of using shampoo or soap. I stopped up the sink, ran some cool water, scrapped off a little from the bar soap and swirled it around. Then I quickly soaked the item, rinsed and tried to get it dried. Fortunately we brought some hangers as we had a garment bag, and used them with the clothesline that is in the shower stall.

If you're just wanting to freshen up lightly soiled t-shirts, shorts, underwear, swimwear etc, what we do is put them in the shower tray. Whilst you are showering, the shampoo and soap you are using for your hair/body washes onto the clothes, and you tread it in with your feet. After you've finished, rinse through with clean water, then squeeze as much water out as you can. Finish by rolling damp clothes in a clean towel, then hang to dry in the shower, or using the towel rails in the bathroom. This way you don't need to take anything extra to wash the clothes in, nor do you need to spend time doing the washing as you are doing it whilst you are having your shower. :)

If you're just wanting to freshen up lightly soiled t-shirts, shorts, underwear, swimwear etc, what we do is put them in the shower tray. Whilst you are showering, the shampoo and soap you are using for your hair/body washes onto the clothes, and you tread it in with your feet. After you've finished, rinse through with clean water, then squeeze as much water out as you can. Finish by rolling damp clothes in a clean towel, then hang to dry in the shower, or using the towel rails in the bathroom. This way you don't need to take anything extra to wash the clothes in, nor do you need to spend time doing the washing as you are doing it whilst you are having your shower. :)

Yuck, you end up washing the floor of the shower with your clothes if you do that.

To the OP, RCL does not have self service laundry machines but they do have laundry and dry cleaning services. The dry cleaning is cheaper than what we pay at home. For laundry, they offer a wash and fold special, an all you can stuff into a bag for $25. It is usually offered mid-week but people have said they have been able to just ask and get the special whenever.

The other option would be to do some clothes in the sink, just remember to bring your own detergent. After you wash, roll the clothing in a dry towel to get out the excess water. Your cabin steward will give you extra towels if you ask.

Personally though, I would just pack enough clothes for the week. You know who tends to go through more than one outfit in a day, just pack accordingly. If you run into a problem, just send out a bag of laundry.

Yeah, I agree. The idea of washing clothes on the shower floor may be a time saver, but not something I'd ever do. I usually pack 2 outfits per day for my son, plus a couple of extra shirts just in case. I never ran out of clothes for him, but I do bring some detergent just in case or I'd just send a bag out for cleaning if I really needed to.

We just use the ship laundry. However many days we will be gone, we pack for half of that. So if it is 10 days total, we will pack for 5. 5 socks, 5 undies, 5 shirts, etc... Also items such as shampoo, toothpaste and sunscreen, we pack just 1 bottle for us all to share.

Thanks everyone for you replies. I don't think I can take all the clothes they will need, that would be about 60 shirts just for the kids.

The more I think about it I am thinking just over half, in case laundry takes longer than expected, will have to do. Considering we r flying I am sure I can avoid the extra baggage fees and just pay for laundry.

Now to figure out who needs what before all the summer stuff is sold out

Archived