And yet another birth certificate question

EydieG

I think this is wrong. I believe that the BC has to have the raised seal on it and if you make your own copy the seal is not there. Honestly, I ahve never heard of anyone making their own copy.

You must have missed post#16;) because that is exactly what I did- I made a photocopy and presented it at embarkation and disembarkation.

Just bring your bc (copy or original) and a state issued ID or DL. We did this, they looked at them when we checked in. They looked at our DL's when we got back on the ship from Nassau. They did not review the bc's or the DL's upon debarkation. I see no point in buying a passport. For the cost of two you have paid for half your cruise!

Nope, I'm right.

yea their right, I was on the phone with Carnival earlier today... I asked the woman, and she said yes it can be a copy, as long as it is Goverment issued,

Dam why can't we use a copy to open a Trust account, for my own daughter I had to purchase a new one with a seal, and for this is going out of the country,,,

Where are you cruising too? At the port they will make you sign a document that you understand you can not be flown back for any emergency or if you miss the ship.

Unless of course something goes wrong and Carnival has to fly you back.:eek:

As long as it's a government issued birth certificate, she should be fine. I think the problem that many people have is that they bring souvenir copies of the birth record issued from the hospital. Those are a no-go.

We cruised in June, and I used my passport, but DH and our daughters used their birth certificates issued by the states they were born in. We had no issues whatsoever.

yea their right, I was on the phone with Carnival earlier today... I asked the woman, and she said yes it can be a copy, as long as it is Goverment issued,

Dam why can't we use a copy to open a Trust account, for my own daughter I had to purchase a new one with a seal, and for this is going out of the country,,,

Where are you cruising too? At the port they will make you sign a document that you understand you can not be flown back for any emergency or if you miss the ship.

Unless of course something goes wrong and Carnival has to fly you back.:eek:

It sounds like what she meant was "as long as it is a copy of a government issued birth certificate" because that is what the rule is (and they do allow regular photocopies, see post 16). I have never had to sign such a document at the port, but would sign it gladly because I know that information going in.

A copy of the birth certificate is fine. A lot of people on this board will tell you you need the original or certified copy, but you don't.

I have posted this story on this board before. Last summer, my sister forgot her birth certificate for her and her husband at home. She did not realize it until she was checking in at the port. Our other sister, who was not going on this cruise, was able to drive to this sister's house, take a picture of their birth certificates with her phone and email the Carnival rep the pictures. The Carnival rep then printed out the pictures and that served as their copy of their birth certificate.

Wow -- great story!:D

What DID we do before smart phones?!:eek:

Yes, the term "original" is getting confused amongst many.

The birth certificate just can't be a photo copy. A replacement copy from the state of issuance, with the raised seal, is what is acceptable.

I personally wouldn't waste the money to expedite a new passport as my friend just did that and it took almost 4 weeks, which is the same time my non-expedited one took.

Has anyone sailed without a passport and using a birth certificate lately? We just booked a kind of last minute cruise and our daughter (who is 20) had a passport but it has expired. The wait time listed on the govt web site says 4-6 weeks and we don't have that long. Since her old passport was obtained when she was under 16 according to the site she will have to apply for a new one instead of renewing the old one. Anyway, I am getting so many conflicting reports about this, one being the person who booked this (at Carnival) told me if we decided to get a passport to make sure we made a copy of the BC before they took it in case the new passport didn't come in time. Then I am reading on these boards several people were turned away because they had copies instead of the original BC. Plus our local post office (which is the only place in town to get a passport) is appointment only and I won't know until tomorrow how soon I can get an appointment.

thanks in advance for any advice!

Where do u live? I'm in nj and I believe u can go to NYC or Philadelphia n get it in one day???

Now that's a "photo"copy:D. Thanks for sharing the story!

I had a client cruise last week and she forgot her BC and her passport. She was able to get her dad to purchase another BC and he took a picture of it with his phone and sent it to her phone. It was accepted and she went on to enjoy her first cruise. I always advise getting a passport but things happen and her quick thinking saved her cruise.

I also cruised with a sis in law who said she didn't remember she needed a BC so she didn't bring it. She was able to get a family member to fax a copy to the terminal and they printed it off and she cruised and was fine. So yes, if it is a copy of a valid certified BC, and it is legible, it will suffice.

The birth certificate just can't be a photo copy. A replacement copy from the state of issuance, with the raised seal, is what is acceptable.

I personally wouldn't waste the money to expedite a new passport as my friend just did that and it took almost 4 weeks, which is the same time my non-expedited one took.

If you read the other posts apparently you are incorrect and it can in fact be a photo copy. And not all states do a raised seal. Some do watermarks and some have the holograph type seal.

Not true. It does not have to have a raised seal. It does not have to be a replacement copy. It can be a photocopy of an original birth certificate issued by a government agency.

It seems you are amongst the many:rolleyes:.

I had a client cruise last week and she forgot her BC and her passport. She was able to get her dad to purchase another BC and he took a picture of it with his phone and sent it to her phone. It was accepted and she went on to enjoy her first cruise. I always advise getting a passport but things happen and her quick thinking saved her cruise.

I also cruised with a sis in law who said she didn't remember she needed a BC so she didn't bring it. She was able to get a family member to fax a copy to the terminal and they printed it off and she cruised and was fine. So yes, if it is a copy of a valid certified BC, and it is legible, it will suffice.

And this is why it is important to remember that a copy of a birth certificate will be accepted- in case something happens to your primary travel documents. When the day comes and I have a passport I will carry a copy of my birth certificate with me and a copy will be available to the person watching our house.

my daughter was allowed to travel on her birth certificate after her passport had expired -she's 10 and photo id wasn't required.

We took both of her previous passports, 2 short form birth certificates and one long with a raised seal.

the one with the raised seal was all they wanted. They may have accepted the ones without, or even a photocopy but I don't know as we didn't try it.

I'd go for the BC with the seal and current photo id. Also take the old passport - if you do get stranded somewhere its a good place to start if you need an emergency passport issued.

And this is why it is important to remember that a copy of a birth certificate will be accepted- in case something happens to your primary travel documents. When the day comes and I have a passport I will carry a copy of my birth certificate with me and a copy will be available to the person watching our house.

That's exactly what I plan on doing. This will be our first cruise with passports. I will be taking my passport with me when I go to the ports, but there will be a copy of it and my BC in the safe in my room and a copy of both at home as well. That way, if for some reason my passport gets stolen I can still get home with the copy of my BC and DL.

That's exactly what I plan on doing. This will be our first cruise with passports. I will be taking my passport with me when I go to the ports, but there will be a copy of it and my BC in the safe in my room and a copy of both at home as well. That way, if for some reason my passport gets stolen I can still get home with the copy of my BC and DL.

U should not take passport off ship just drivers license. Ship advises u to lock up bc in safe once u get on

If you are worried about not getting your birth certificate/passport back in time, why not just take the birth certificate and valid ID and use that. No worries about having to deal with IF a photocopy will or will not be accepted. While some people have said success, like all things, it could depend on the person and circumstances. Some people say they can do it and others question it.

So just use what you know is valid: the same birth certificate that you used to apply for her passport and an ID. Then when you return, you can renew her passport.

I will piggyback on other's posts and say that my initial passport took no time at all. My cruise was in 5 weeks (on June 25) when I applied but I made sure that I had my backup birth certificate before I even went to the building!! My passport though arrived in less than 3 1/2 weeks. Do renewals take less time?

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know if the shorter version would be accepted?? It's the official one with the raised seal but it only has the persons name, birthdate and parents names.. It doesn't have all the info that the long version has on it..

I have used my short form for sailing and there has been no change in the regulations.

The "raised seal" requirement is a myth. If you read the actual regulations all that is required is that the BC be government issued-NO hospital BC's, NO baptismal certificates.

Many agencies do not use a raised seal.

The requirement from customs is as follows:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate"

Note no mention is made of "raised seals". Customs can quickly call the issueing agency to confirm the validity of your BC if they have any questions, you can be sure of that.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/ready_set_go/whti_bg/land_sea/

• 4 weeks later...

Called our license bureau today to ask about the EDL...enhanced drivers license as MO offers it. She knew nothing about it....tells me to go to the state office to apply.....long story short---the license they are now doing IS the EDL...sooo that's good to know that CCL allows that as proof and not necessary to have a BC...(although I still would rather just have a passport!)

Archived