Steps to the Acropolis--how hard to climb?

debintexas

I understand there are 80 steps to the Acropolis. Are they very steep and are there handrails? I've got my 77 year old mother and not sure she can make it if it's too difficult. We do have the option of a tour where you go to the Acropolis Museum and just see the Acropolis--what would we be missing by doing this? Thanks!

I understand there are 80 steps to the Acropolis. Are they very steep and are there handrails? I've got my 77 year old mother and not sure she can make it if it's too difficult. We do have the option of a tour where you go to the Acropolis Museum and just see the Acropolis--what would we be missing by doing this? Thanks!

IMHO it can be a tough climb..there are places where there is a handrail,but not all.I have done it,but not sure I could do it again today unless no one behind me.There are other opinions on this board if you do a search as this has been asked before.I am sure someone else will reply.

I was there a year ago, and although we got there at 8am to miss the crowds, this was not the case, it was very busy, and the steps are quite steep, and marble. Not the best place to climb with a lot of people behind you, and guides that work there making sure you keep moving to make sure nobody stops on the steps. It's the same going back down also.

There are rails in some parts, but not enough to rely on if not steady on your feet.

Although it was 40 degrees the day I went, once I managed to get to the top, it was worth the climb as the views were amazing. It's a lot bigger at the top than I imagined.

If you go, enjoy!

I was there last month and it can be a tricky climb. When we went it was very busy with a lot of people. Second many places along the way up were very slick and one could easily lose their footing. The guide kept reminding us to watch our step. It was rather warm the day that we went. Not sure that I would chance it unless there are several of you to help her out at times.

there is also a lift for handicapped people - not sure if your mom would qualify but you might look into it -

They are not that strict unless very crowded. If you mom obviously needs some help walking, or uses a cane, they will let her use the lift. Usually, being elderly is enough. If she happens to have a handicap tag or similar handicap ID, bring it with you that will get her in for sure even if it is crowded. Once at the top, it is mostly flat and easy to get around.

The problem with the Acropolis is that it is a relatively long hike (mostly uphill) from the entrance to get to the top. There are plenty of benches along the way where one can rest, but it would still be difficult for somebody who has walking limitations. Also beware that if its a hot day in Athens, it can be boiling up at the top where you will be out in the sun.

Hank

I was 65 and my friend 81, they would not let us use the elevator, they wanted a doctor's note. They might accept a handicap placard.

We only made it up the hill to the actual entrance, where you buy the ticket and hire a guide (if you want one). Saw the crowd ahead of us and behind us (this was about 8:30 am) so decided we just couldn't do it. We gazed up in awe, took some photos with the Parthenon behind us, bought a few souvenirs and continued on our way back to meet our driver.

I had been to the top about 20 years ago, so it wasn't imperative for me, but my friend hadn't been before. We were a little disappointed, but then the driver took us to Lycabetus Hill (?) and the view of Athens was just as amazing as from the Acropolis (without all the walking).

Check on your Roll Call and see if someone has a driver arranged. We only paid 50 EUR pp with 4 of us sharing the ride, and we saw all of the well known sites in Athens (8 hours), plus an authentic Greek lunch (the driver took us to a small restaurant he & his family go to). We had lamb, pork, chicken, veggies, and red&white wine for 11 EUR pp. It was an awesome day.

What you would miss is being up on the Acropolis and having a close-up look at the Parthenon and the Temple of Artemis and the heat and the wind and the crowds.

The Acropolis Museum is small, and with a guide, you can see most of it in about 90 minutes - longer if you like. As our guide kept telling us, most of the good stuff is in the British Museum.

I have to agree with the previous posters about the conditions of the steps going to the top of the Acropolis. They are uneven in places, crowds make you feel like you should hurry yet there is nowhere to go, and the marble can be slick.

Some fellow passengers were on a ship-sponsored tour at the Acropolis and the mom was in her 60s and has trouble with her feet. The only reason they did the tour was that it was advertised as handicap accessible. When they got there, the guide refused to let the mom use the lift because she was able to walk - she could walk, but she should not climb the steps. They would have chosen a different tour had they known that would be a problem. As it was, the guide was so rude to them that they left in the middle of the tour and did something else with the rest of their day, and reported the situation to the cruise ship's shore excursion desk. From what others have written here, it does sound like the use of the lift at the Acropolis may be dependent on specific guidelines and documentation, so I wouldn't count on it being available as an option without further verification.

THANKS to everyone for your responses! We'll be taking an alternate tour and see it, just not up close and not climbing the steps in case they refuse to let her use elevator.

Well, my mom is 75 and is in excellent shape, and I am proud she was able to climb the steps to the top on our recent visit to Athens. I personally did not think they were too bad going up, as long as you take your time and go slowly ... for some reason it hurt more going down but it's doable in my opinion as long as you are in a reasonably good shape and don't rush! Once on top, it is flat, but watch out for the SHINY marble surfaces, they are extremely slippery ... It was def worth it to make it to the top (frankly, it was the best thing we did in Athens, everything else was meh).

Also, my husband is in good shape but walks with crutches due to an old leg injury ... he was "offered" to use the elevator/lift but it was a little vague as to where to find it, and by the time we realized it we were half way up anyway so he just continued walking. They did not ask to see any documentation, just looked at his crutches and said he was OK to use the elevator ... would be great if anyone pointed us in the direction of this mysterious elevator LOL It's worth trying though!

The steps walking up were small but far between and you walk uphill. The steps are a little steep walking up to the Acropolis but I took my time. We did a private driver and we beat the crowds. As we were coming down it was packed. There was one part walking down where the stairs were steep but i put my hand on the stone and took one step at a time. I had knee trouble prior to the trip which it was acting up (Bakers cyst behind the knee). I made it but took my time. Turns out I have a meniscus tear in my knee and I have surgery at the end of the month.

Also, my husband is in good shape but walks with crutches due to an old leg injury ... he was "offered" to use the elevator/lift but it was a little vague as to where to find it, and by the time we realized it we were half way up anyway so he just continued walking. They did not ask to see any documentation, just looked at his crutches and said he was OK to use the elevator ... would be great if anyone pointed us in the direction of this mysterious elevator LOL It's worth trying though!

Follow the path that goes to the left behind the main ticket booth and follows the bottom of the hill. The elevator is on the side of the cliff. It is out of sight of the main entrance and the steps. Someone posted pictures on this board. Do a search.

And as I said before, if you are obviously impaired - crutches, cane, etc - you will be offered to use the elevator. It also makes a difference if you get there before the crowds. Just ask them to point you in the right direction.

I saw a link somewhere that there is a phone number to call a few days in advance for the elevator. I too had a bakers cyst a few months ago and still have knee issues, I am more worried about going down than up as occasionally my knee just gives in. I am going to call my Dr. to get a prescription for no stairs and let my driver know who can assist in setting things up.

It is a tough climb for anyone with walking issues and there are only a few spots where there is a railing.

We were there in 2009 and admired it from below because of DH's walking issues. (We brought a doctor's note and handicapped placard with but chose not to use them.) He had a knee replaced in 2010. We returned in 2012 and weren't sure if he could get to the top. Our taxi driver drove up the hill as far as he could (almost to the ticket booth) which saved a lot of uphill walking. He was able to go to the top and back down using me for support.

The reason why we chose not to try the elevator is because what if it stops working after you get to the top? That can happen and walking down would be more treacherous than walking up. One time after the first trip to Athens, we took the underground tour of the Colosseum in Rome. A new elevator brought us to the lower level. But it quit working and DH had to walk up the stairs.

There is a parking lot near the bottom which has great views of the Parthenon. That's the closest we got on our first visit to Athens. It is a beautiful view without the risks of falling and getting hurt. But it's not like being at the top :)

Archived