Lifou, New Calendonia

Hi all,

I am leaving on the Spirit in 18 days and was just notified this morning that we have changed a port from Mare to Lifou. I havent been to Lifou before, so happy with the change.

For those that have been to Lifou, what is there to do there? We are two 40 something women (sisters) and a 18 year old male (son/nephew). Is it best to book through the Cruise line, or are there tours available on the dock as well? I have managed to strain my knee last weekend as well (bummer!) so nothing too strenuous. Not really "beach" people - want to do somewhere and either do some tours, sight seeing etc.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Rebecca

Possibly unfortunately for you, Lifou is more of a swimming hole place.

There normally aren't any ship tours. I've heard some people have occasionally arranged some smallish tour, but it's not really that sort of place. There's a little cultural/market area where you get off, then a trail leading a bit of a hike to a church on a hill and a waterhole nearby, and most people would just go to those areas. There's the odd vehicle around, but it's not heavily trafficked or established near where the ship tenders.

Possibly unfortunately for you, Lifou is more of a swimming hole place.

There normally aren't any ship tours. I've heard some people have occasionally arranged some smallish tour, but it's not really that sort of place. There's a little cultural/market area where you get off, then a trail leading a bit of a hike to a church on a hill and a waterhole nearby, and most people would just go to those areas. There's the odd vehicle around, but it's not heavily trafficked or established near where the ship tenders.

the ship does do organised tours and you can get the private bus tours 45 mins for about $15.....that was awhile ago and not sure if the prices are the same

we had a couple on one of our cruises and they got someone to take them around in a private car

the ship does do organised tours and you can get the private bus tours 45 mins for about $15.....that was awhile ago and not sure if the prices are the same

we had a couple on one of our cruises and they got someone to take them around in a private car

Hi there!

We cruised to Lifou on Rhapsody of the Seas in March this year. There were no ship tours available but we found a little stall manned by the locals up past the local markets where you were able to purchase a small tour for $15 for 90mins in a private car or pay more for 3 hours.

It was interesting enough, very hot & humid so after the tour we all gathered under a tree close to the beach whilst some of us went swimming until it was time to line up for the tender back to the ship.

Lovely clear water as I remember it. Others reporting great snorkeling in the cave area - not my cup of tea! Now that I have been there, I'll elect to stay on board next time we sail there.

Gae

Hi there!

We cruised to Lifou on Rhapsody of the Seas in March this year. There were no ship tours available but we found a little stall manned by the locals up past the local markets where you were able to purchase a small tour for $15 for 90mins in a private car or pay more for 3 hours.

It was interesting enough, very hot & humid so after the tour we all gathered under a tree close to the beach whilst some of us went swimming until it was time to line up for the tender back to the ship.

Lovely clear water as I remember it. Others reporting great snorkeling in the cave area - not my cup of tea! Now that I have been there, I'll elect to stay on board next time we sail there.

Gae

on p&o and princess they used to have ships tours of the island, maybe RCL is different

We have friends who did a ship's tour to the vanilla plantation and the Cliffs of Jokin, which they enjoyed. We have also done a ship's tour around the main town of We(not much there) and spent an hour or so at nearby Luecila Beach which is really beautiful. I guess you could always get someone with the vans/small buses to give you a tour. Many people walk up to the old church on the hill but, having done it, I wouldn't advise that with a bad knee. Hope you can find something interesting. :)

Carnival are listing tours for Lifou ( more than for Mare). http://www.carnival.com.au/shoreexcursionsv1.aspx

The ship tours have two advantages. they are definite in terms of departure times and allow booking ahead. The locally run tours on Lifou are sold on a first come first served basis from a trestle table behind the market and performance area at the top of the short rise from the tender wharf - not a difficult walk taken slowly. When we did a local tour we bought our tickets and then waited until it was our turn. There were several departures for each tour but the schedule was a little erratic. We did a basic round the island bus tour which we enjoyed. The goods on sale at the covered market area are varied and mostly generic tourist fare. There is usually a local performing group - donations appreciated! You can get draught beer at the gite - basic local accommodation - opposite the market - very welcome on a hot day. Ice creams and snacks are for sale at the gite and the local stalls if you are happy to eat locally prepared food. One year I was not permitted to swim and we spent an enjoyable half day on the tour, watching the performers and drinking beer before a late Lunch back on board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

We have done a ship's tour to Luecila Beach (which is beautiful) but I can't remember on which ship. We have been there three times and it has been quite windy each time and at different times of the year. We are back there on the Rhapsody later this year and probably won't get off the ship unless there is no wind.

Cheers

Di

on p&o and princess they used to have ships tours of the island, maybe RCL is different

Royal Caribbean don't run tours there. Looks like the Carnival group do have that option - which makes it fortunate the poster is travelling with them!

We walked up to the little church on the hill which was a great place for views of the island. When you get off the ship there is a walking path to the left and it is a nice walk with a fairly steep rise near the end. Other than that it is nice to spend the day on the beach drinking fresh coconut juice you buy from the locals.

Go and just enjoy the day.

We walked across the island to the snorkeling area. It was lovely though access was down a dodgy ladder on it's last legs (they must have improved it by now surely?) Had a great day bobbing around in the shallow water.

We were there late last year on the radiance of the seas. Very underwhelming. The weather wasn't great which didn't help it was too windy and cold to swim. We walked to the little church, wandered the small markets and went back to the ship for a drink! We were quite disappointed with the expensive prices at the markets and the fee to see the cemetery. Was significantly cheaper at the other islands. I guess it would have been better if the weather was good. As they say, you pay for the cruise, not the weather.

Hi there

We went on the ship's organised tour of the forest and cave grotto- it was interesting -we had two kids 10yrs and 13yrs and they weren't bored on the tour. There is some walking when you finally get to the forest and you go down a small cave where they used to hide their women and children before the men go off on their tribal wars. Through the forest we were informed by our guide of the medicinal purposes of the different plants found in the forest. I can't remember the cost exactly sorry.

I suggest you look on the Carnival website for details of tour.

Enjoy

Archived