S&S Card and Children Spending

IMKTDQT810

I was just thinking, if I get DS the unlimited soda sticker, what else is there he CAN he buy? I mean, he will be nine years old, if I give him spending privileges do they allow them to shop in the stores? Now grant you, the only time he would be in a store would be with me or DH but what if he loses his card and it has spending privileges. How does the arcade work? Do I pre-load that also and he can't buy more tokens but DH or I can? Just trying to think of spend account things since this will be the first time we are taking DS. Thanks!!

I turn all spending off on my kids stuff... they don't need to shop without us :D

Is it possible to turn off the spending during the online check in process, or can this only be done once on the cruise? I don't see where I can do it in the profiles pre-cruise.

I'm allowing my dd10 to have spending. She'll be with me and I don't actually see that there will be many opportunities for her to use it, but she's a really responsible kid, and I thought this would be a pretty safe way for me to show her that I know this.

I've always left the spending on....but my kids have rarely taken advantage of the freedom to purchase what they wanted. I don't purchase soda cards because DS doesn't drink it all and DD is satisfied with lemonade/juice/milk and whatever soda we bring on board so it is not an economical purchase for us. When we are in the ship stores, I am usually with them and they "let" me buy everything they want (I get paid back through their allowance that was put away for vacations), which usually a ship model for DS and some small souvineers for DD. They will on the rare occasion get a virgin drink (I always tell them that they can get them whenever on us, but they don't), again if I am with them, they "let" me buy that too. They rarely go to the arcade but when they do they spent less than $20 on any cruise (Their choice, I tell them they can go...they usually have no interest). We have been on 9 cruises since they were 4 and 7. They are now 16 and 19. I've left the spending on for every cruise, because I've never needed to worry about.

My kids even have their own credit cards now that they are driving and have proven themselves to be responsible with both their money and mine. I wanted them to have them for emergencies and to purchase gas since most of their driving is school/sports/work related (DS puts his 90% of his work money in the bank to pay for college expenses).

My point is that you know your kid best. If you feel he is responsible enough to handle it then leave it on. Some kids are not responsible enough to handle it and they should not have the priviledge....or their parents will be in for a shock when they check their S&S balance:eek:.

You can set a limit on his spending to a certain amount daily.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I did this with my granddaughter last year (she was 15 ) and am doing it for her this year ( she's 16 now ) she only spent about $40 she had a $100 it was the money my husband gave her, he didn't go and is not going with us this time either.

We gave our 12 year old an "allowance" for our recent Dream cruise. She had $35 to spend on candy, soft drinks, gifts in the shops, etc. Only stipulation was she had to attend Circle C at least once - she spend some time with a girl she met there (which was our goal). When she learned she didn't get to keep any amount left over, she easily found a way to spend the $35. She could spend it on anything (within reason...$35 worth of candy wouldn't have been acceptable; she only spent $3 on candy IIRC).

Is it possible to turn off the spending during the online check in process, or can this only be done once on the cruise? I don't see where I can do it in the profiles pre-cruise.

It is possible to not allow not link your kids card to your credit card and turn off their spending when you set up your onboard account on the website.

We take off the spending privileges when we setup the accounts with the on-line check-in. When we get on the ship itself, at Guest Services we put a set amount of cash on each child's card that they can spend. We just let them know that when it is gone, it is gone;) Always works out great for everyone!

For those who have allowed their children to spend-

I was wondering what types of things do they charge?

And I mean when they are not with you that you see a charge for. I know if we go to the gift shops then anything we purchase would go on our card. But I'm curious as to what they have interests in buying that they can get. Thanks!!

Archived