Will the town of Persat be open October 14th? I read somewhere much of the town was closed in October, I assumed later in October, but unsure.

Is it worth leaving Kotor for Persat? Much to do?

Do I take a taxi there? Then water taxi to Lady of the Rock?

Thank you!

Will the town of Persat be open October 14th? I read somewhere much of the town was closed in October, I assumed later in October, but unsure. Is it worth leaving Kotor for Persat? Much to do? Do I take a taxi there? Then water taxi to Lady of the Rock? Thank you!

For our nearby "neighbor" here in Columbus, I don't have the full and complete answer to all of your questions. BUT, I can give some other, more general insights on your port stop in Kotor. Super loved this location, its wonderful early am sail-in, the sail-out, etc., etc. We went up country, saw their old historic capital, went to coastal Budva, etc. It looks as if you'll be on virtually the same cruise we did two years ago. From my live/blog below you can see lots of details for most all of these port stops, Barcelona, etc., etc.

On Kotor, Dubrovnik, etc., much depends on what you want to see and do. As we sailed by Persat and the nearby islands, it was interesting to see. Whether that is your best, first choice to do in that port is another, different question. First time in Kotor? What are your personal interests for this area? Tell us more. Below are some notes and visuals on Kotor, etc. Let us know any reactions, added questions, etc.

More on wonderful Kotor and nearby, check these postings. Have had over 14,066 views on this posting and appreciate those who have tuned-in and commented.:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439193

With its two jewel-like islands, Perast is focused on the sea. From the interaction between mainland and bay, the inherent contrast of stone and water, the dialogue of island and wave, sometimes in harmony but often in conflict, this sea-faring town has derived its unity, strength and sense of purpose. Despite its size, a sophisticated urban structure has arisen, demonstrated by the proportion, scale, massing and rhythm of the great number of public buildings, especially along the waterfront.

In Perast, at the end of XVII Century, the first naval school, in which the sixteen Russian aristocrats learned their sea skills, was founded. Near Perast, there are two small islands: one is called St. George island, and the other called Gospa od Škrpjela (Our Lady of the Rock), and each of them has a picturesque chapel. Gospa od Škrpjela (originally called in venetian "Madonna dello Scarpello") is particularly interesting given that it is the only artificially built island in the Adriatic, with an area of 3,030 m². It was built upon a rock (Škrpjel) after two venetian sailors from Perast found a picture of the Virgin Mary on it in 1452. Venice owned the city between 1420 and 1797. Perast (called Perasto in the venetian language, spoken oficially there until the nineteenth century) was part of the Albania Veneta. The city's sixteen Baroque palaces were mostly built in this period, too, as were its seventeen Catholic churches and two Orthodox churches. The old city does not have a defensive wall, but instead it has nine defensive towers, the most important of which is the tower of the Holy Cross. These were built by the navy of the Venetian Republic in the 15th and 16th centuries.

Perast was at its peak in the 18th century under the Republic of Venice, when it had as many as four active shipyards, a fleet of around one hundred ships, and 1,643 residents. At that time the most beautiful buildings arose in this fortified town. Many ornate baroque palaces and magnificent dwelling-houses decorated the town of Perast (Perasto), full of typical venetian architecture. The population has since decreased to 430 in 1910 and around 360 today. The fleet was extinguished by the rise of the steam engine. At the fall of the "Serenissima" (1797) Perasto was the last city of the Republic to lower the Venetian flag. On 12 May 1797, the Republic of Venice ended, but a few places in the Albania Veneta for several months still continued to remain loyal to the Venetian Republic.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 137,740 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here’s our bus driver going to up, back and forth, through twenty-seven serpentine twists and turns to rise up the 4000’ high mountain above Kotor as we headed to the old Royal Capital of Cetinje. You can see our cruise ship down below tendered in the scenic harbor.:

KotorBusDriverHarbor.jpg

As you sail in and out of Kotor, you see these two island with church built on them. Near Perast there are two small islands: one is called St. George island, and the other called Gospa od Škrpjela (Our Lady of the Rock), and each has a picturesque chapel. Gospa od Škrpjela is particularly interesting given that it is the only artificially built island in the Adriatic These are not natural island, but built up there over the years. Spectacular sighting.:

2KotorTwoIslandSailIn.jpg

Kotor has a population of 13,500 and its city wall was built by the Republic of Venice. The Venetian influence remains predominant in the city's architecture. Here is a view of a portion of those walls and two different church domes. Kotor was settled during Ancient Roman times and has been fortified since the early Middle Ages. The city was part of the Venetian Republic 1420-1797, except for periods of Ottoman rule between 1538–1571 and 1657-1699. In the 1800’s, it was under the Habsburg Monarchy of Austria and then for time under the French Empire. After 1918, the city became a part of Yugoslavia. In 1979 major earthquake hit the Montenegrin coastal area and destroyed half of Kotor.:

KotorChurchDomesWall.jpg

Perast is a few miles northwest of Kotor facing this scenic bay. Perast was at its peak in the 18th century under the Venetian Republic. It had four active shipyards and a fleet of one hundred ships. Many ornate baroque palaces and magnificent dwellings decorated this town that is full of typical Venetian architecture.:

KotorNearbyTownBldgs.jpg

Nearby to Perast, here are individual pictures showing these two different islands. First, here is the Lady of the Rocks shown with tour boats docked and people exploring this scenic location. Second is the other island, St. George Island, with its tall trees. Two very different looks on each island.:

KotorReligIslandBusyBoats.jpg

KotorReligOtherIslandTrees.jpg

We enjoyed Perast very much. We were in Dubrovnik for several days and rented a car to drive to Kotor. We actually had breakfast at the restaurant on the water in one of the pictures above.

We liked doing the rental car because we could stopwhen/ where we wanted to and were not held hostage is it were by the cruise ship tour. You might want to consider this. We rented from SIXT. It was very reasonable as I recall. They may have an office in Kotor.

From about 4 minutes of this shows

us taking a boat trip from Kotor to Perast. As I didn't get out there I can't say if there is much to do but I'm sure it would be a nice stop after looking round Kotor and of course is the base for going out to those islets. All the best, Tony

Archived