Pompeii & Sorrento help

torontogal70

We will be on the Disney Magic Med sailing in Aug. and had a question about docking in Naples. We would like to make our own way to Pompeii and then head to Sorrento before heading back to the ship. We are in Naples from 7:30-5:30. We also would like to see Pompeii first. Has anyone been to both places on their own and how did you do it? We prefer to not use a tour company but make our own way. Any tips? Thanks!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We will be on the Disney Magic Med sailing in Aug. and had a question about docking in Naples. We would like to make our own way to Pompeii and then head to Sorrento before heading back to the ship. We are in Naples from 7:30-5:30. We also would like to see Pompeii first. Has anyone been to both places on their own and how did you do it? We prefer to not use a tour company but make our own way. Any tips? Thanks!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

This question is posted all the time on this board...if you search through some pages you will find a ton of advice and all your questions answered.

Take the train. The same train that goes to Pompeii continues on to Sorrento. You can walk (a bit of a walk), take a taxi, take the tram or a bus to the train station. I would go to Sorrento first and catch Pompeii on the way back. You should be able to catch the 7:39 train if you hustle. I am attaching some documents that maybe helpful.

Naples - train schedule.pdf

Naples - Transportation between the Central Train Station and Molo Beverello Port.docx

Normally I would agree that going to the furthest point first makes sense; however, in this case I would consider going to Pompei first. By going on your own you can get there when the gates open, well ahead of the tour buses, and have a much more pleasant visit.

You can get there by train (the Circumvesuviana local train) or by bus. I prefer the bus because I find it more comfortable and easier to get a seat, plus the terminal is much closer to the cruise port than the Circumvesuviana Porta Nolana station. With the bus, however, you do have a short walk (two-tenths of a mile) to the Villa dei Misteri entrance to the ruins, so that's your trade off. The train arrives across the street from the same entrance. Train and bus are the same fee and the same ticket.

From Pompei to Sorrento you're pretty much stuck with the Circumvesuviana, but this is actually a good thing because the road between the two is constantly congested and slow moving, so the train is almost always faster.

I would also consider taking the ferry back from Sorrento to Naples, a much more pleasant way to travel (although it is more expensive). The ferry ride takes 40 minutes and deposits you right next to the cruise port, while the train takes an hour and you're still a mile and a quarter from the cruise port.

The other downside to the ferry return, besides the higher price, is the limited options for times. There is a 4:25 that gets you back a little after 5 PM; the next earlier one is at 2 PM.

Ferry schedule: http://www.alilauro.it/orari-e-tariffe?route_group_id=3

If you decide to go to Sorrento first, you could take the 9 AM boat, arriving at 9:40, then take the train from there to Pompei.

If you decide to go to Sorrento first, you could take the 9 AM boat, arriving at 9:40, then take the train from there to Pompei.

But be sure to have a back-up plan. Grand Princess was at the far end of the pier making it at least a 1/4 of a mile hike to the ferry. There was a shuttle but it started at 9:00 am, making it impossible to catch the 9:00 am ferry. Next ferry wasn't until 11.

We didn't have a back-up plan so ended up using a taxi to Pompeii first then Sorrento. Ended up being our best day of a 21 day trip. Our own personal driver, but at a cost of 100 EUR pp.

But be sure to have a back-up plan. Grand Princess was at the far end of the pier making it at least a 1/4 of a mile hike to the ferry. There was a shuttle but it started at 9:00 am, making it impossible to catch the 9:00 am ferry. Next ferry wasn't until 11.

We didn't have a back-up plan so ended up using a taxi to Pompeii first then Sorrento. Ended up being our best day of a 21 day trip. Our own personal driver, but at a cost of 100 EUR pp.

Had exactly the same problem with Princess, so we headed to the ferries/booking offices (by the cruise terminal) early on foot, only took mebbe 15 mins, & caught the 9am Sorrento ferry.

Then the little shuttlebus from Sorrento pier to station, & the Circumvesuviana train to Herculaneum (Ercolano Scavi) rather than Pompeii which we've visited in the past, and same train back to Naples. Train runs every 30 mins, every day.

Used a shuttlevan (?3 euros return?) from station to Herculaneum site instead of the 20 min walk, we had a good excuse - it was damned hot. One advantage of Herculaneum over Pompeii, plenty of shade. But the Pompeii site is right next to Pompeii Scavi station.

If your ship is in the same berth as for agabbymama & me, at least you have a much shorter walk back from station to ship.

Different opinions on this thread about which way round.

I'm in the camp that says Pompeii is closer & easier to get back to the ship by train or bus or taxi - Plans A, B & C. Ferry is infrequent so if you aim for the last one & there's a problem it may be too late to take the (slower) train or a taxi so you might have no Plan B. But if you sensibly aim for the second-to-last ferry you cut deeply into your time.

Sorrento may also disappoint - very pleasant, but nothing special. And many shops close in the afternoons (and I thought "siesta" was a Spanish word :rolleyes:). You might be grieved if you cut your time in Pompeii short in order to have plenty of time in Sorrento.

Downside of Sorrento first is that it'll be hotter in Pompeii later in the day. And yes, there'll be more people later in the day - but it's a huge site & can swallow a lot of people.

E/C & I rarely disagree. We do on the question of which first, but it's a matter of opinion with no right & wrong.

JB :)

Normally I would agree that going to the furthest point first makes sense; however, in this case I would consider going to Pompei first. By going on your own you can get there when the gates open, well ahead of the tour buses, and have a much more pleasant visit.

You can get there by train (the Circumvesuviana local train) or by bus. I prefer the bus because I find it more comfortable and easier to get a seat, plus the terminal is much closer to the cruise port than the Circumvesuviana Porta Nolana station. With the bus, however, you do have a short walk (two-tenths of a mile) to the Villa dei Misteri entrance to the ruins, so that's your trade off. The train arrives across the street from the same entrance. Train and bus are the same fee and the same ticket.

From Pompei to Sorrento you're pretty much stuck with the Circumvesuviana, but this is actually a good thing because the road between the two is constantly congested and slow moving, so the train is almost always faster.

I would also consider taking the ferry back from Sorrento to Naples, a much more pleasant way to travel (although it is more expensive). The ferry ride takes 40 minutes and deposits you right next to the cruise port, while the train takes an hour and you're still a mile and a quarter from the cruise port.

The other downside to the ferry return, besides the higher price, is the limited options for times. There is a 4:25 that gets you back a little after 5 PM; the next earlier one is at 2 PM.

Ferry schedule: http://www.alilauro.it/orari-e-tariffe?route_group_id=3

Not to argue with my own advice but another advantage of being early on Pompeii is it will be a little cooler, Pompeii can be quite hot. My original answer of Sorrento first is that I almost always like to go to the furthest point first.

Archived