Seeking wine list recommendations

jayjaycan

We are sailing on the Jade in Oct. and while we plan on bringing a few bottles of Italian wine onboard we were thinking of purchaing the "Aficianado" package from the Viva Vino list when we board. I am not familiar with some of the California wines on the list and would like some feedback from those familiar with them

The particular ones we are interested in are:

Estancia Pinot Grigio. Estancia Pinot Noir, Ranch Zabaco Zinfandel & Avalon Cab Sav.

My wife is fond of pinot grigio and I enjot a good zinfandel.

Thanks for your help

You can't go wrong with any of those choices. There is a sparkling wine (prosecco) which I think is listed at $36 which we had last November on the Dawn which was a very good value. I hope to convince the wine steward to add that to one of the package plans for our upcoming Alaska cruise. If you are bringing any vintage wines on board, make sure to look up the wine steward. He or she will likely decant older bottles for you that you brought on. They see it as an opportunity to advise you on other selections that may not be on their main lists...it worked for us

• 1 month later...
We are sailing on the Jade in Oct. and while we plan on bringing a few bottles of Italian wine onboard we were thinking of purchaing the "Aficianado" package from the Viva Vino list when we board. I am not familiar with some of the California wines on the list and would like some feedback from those familiar with them

Estancia Pinot Grigio. Estancia Pinot Noir, Ranch Zabaco Zinfandel & Avalon Cab Sav.

Thanks for your help

I don't care for the Avalon. Rancho Zacabo makes a good zin.

We have been searching for these to try before we board. We found the Avalon 2009 was really very good, but the Avalon 2011 was the opposite. I have not been able to find the Rancho Zabaco yet, but I've been told by several people it's wonderful! The 2010 has also had better reviews than the 2011. Have a great cruise!

We have been searching for these to try before we board. We found the Avalon 2009 was really very good, but the Avalon 2011 was the opposite. I have not been able to find the Rancho Zabaco yet, but I've been told by several people it's wonderful! The 2010 has also had better reviews than the 2011. Have a great cruise!

I am surprised that you haven't come across the Rancho Zabaco. They have quite a large production. If you can get one of their higher end zins, enjoy! Highly rated. Here is their website: http://www.ranchozabaco.com/wines/awards-and-accolades.html

Thanks for your help

I have spent some time working in the wine industry and have some opinions regarding the wine offerings. JMHO

While NCL has broken up their offerings into categories, the pinot grigio and zinfandel on the lists are not that superior from each other.

If I had to buy a package I would buy the cheapest package for the pinot grigio and zinfandel and use the savings on the $30 Chateauneuf Du Pape from France as my dinner wine. The $30 price is similiar to mainland USA store prices and lower than Canadian prices)

In my opinion, the "best" wines on the list are:

Rancho Zabaco, “Heritage Vines” Zinfandel

Sylvester Winery, “Kiara Reserve” Merlot

Avalon Cabernet Sauvignon – Napa Valley,

Isabel Mondavi, Deep Rose’ – Napa Valley,

Wild Horse, Chardonnay – Central Coast,

Spellbound, Petite Sirah – California

Chateau St. Jean, Cabernet Sauvignon – California

Thanks for your help

I found the Rancho Zabaco today! I am sipping it and enjoying an gouda cheese as I write this. It is very good, especially since it is a 2011 wine! I highly recommend it!

Archived