Flying into LGA/JFK vs. EWR - staying in Jersey City?

I think we will probably be staying in Jersey City to cruise out of Bayonne. It is signficantly cheaper for me to fly into and out of LGA or JFK than to fly EWR. However, if the cost of car service is a lot more, then of course the price difference becomes moot. Thoughts? Help? Thanks. (We will be on the Aug 25 Summit)

[quote name='cruisintwinsmom']I think we will probably be staying in Jersey City to cruise out of Bayonne. It is signficantly cheaper for me to fly into and out of LGA or JFK than to fly EWR. However, if the cost of car service is a lot more, then of course the price difference becomes moot. Thoughts? Help? Thanks. (We will be on the Aug 25 Summit)[/quote]
EWR is much more convenient and probably $50 for cab as opposed to at least $100 from LGA or JFK.

What is the price difference? Where are you staying in Jersey City? Is public transit an option for you? Cabs are fixed price from JFK to Manhattan, so you could get dropped off at the World Trade Center Path station and take Path to Exchange Place or Newport if you are in one of the hotels near those stations.

Public transit is also an option to go to Bayonne and is very easy from Jersey City.

[quote name='138east']What is the price difference? Where are you staying in Jersey City? Is public transit an option for you? Cabs are fixed price from JFK to Manhattan, so you could get dropped off at the World Trade Center Path station and take Path to Exchange Place or Newport if you are in one of the hotels near those stations.

Public transit is also an option to go to Bayonne and is very easy from Jersey City.[/QUOTE]

Hi, 138east! You were very helpful last year recommending Hilton Penn Station as my hotel - it worked out beautifully.

This year I am thinking about staying in Jersey City - don't have hotel picked out yet - because it sounded like there would be more conveniences nearby. It is close to $200 difference. Public transportation is a possibility - we can pack light.

Same options from Manhattan - car service for about $90-100 or public transit.

Path leaves from 33rd St and 6th Ave for Hoboken - there is a handicapped entrance to Path next to JC Penney. Hoboken has elevators up to the train station and the light rail rail is right there next to the trains. I did this two years ago and the Path/light rail was very easy because you could roll your luggage with no steps. Path has a wide accessible turnstile. For the light rail you just validate your ticket and walk right on.

My mistake was trying to take the subway from Grand Central to Path - major
PITA. When I do this next year I will take a cab to 33rd St.

Thank you. Sounds like if we go into JFK or LGA we can stay in NYC or go to the PATH and head to Jersey City. Not only is it cheaper to fly into JFK/LGA, but the flight is non-stop. From either NYC or Jersy City, we can take PATH/taxi to Bayonne.
Am I missing anything?

At most it would be a short cab ride.

Path also stops along 6th Ave at 23rd, 14th, and 8th, but I think those stations would have stairs.

If you're serious about public transit, I will look around for the thread with the picture of the Path Entrance by Penneys. The reaction of most folks is "She's got to be kidding! I have so much luggage I could never do public transit". I'm off to Europe twice this fall with a 20" roller board and a rolling backpack to tour and cruise back to the US. Public transit is going to save me a lot on expensive transfers.

This is the thras you want to read in detail. [url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1838036&highlight=penney[/url]

Thank you! I think we each can get it all in a carryon - we get free laundry, so we can bring half of what we usually bring. People will just have to get used to seeing us in the same thing a couple of times! ;) If we meet anyone on the ship also flying out of JFK, we may be able to share a ride.

[quote name='138east']At most it would be a short cab ride.

Path also stops along 6th Ave at 23rd, 14th, and 8th, but I think those stations would have stairs.

If you're serious about public transit, I will look around for the thread with the picture of the Path Entrance by Penneys. The reaction of most folks is "She's got to be kidding! I have so much luggage I could never do public transit". I'm off to Europe twice this fall with a 20" roller board and a rolling backpack to tour and cruise back to the US. Public transit is going to save me a lot on expensive transfers.

This is the thras you want to read in detail. [url]http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1838036&highlight=penney[/url][/QUOTE]

The elevator entrance is between 32nd and 33rd Streets. West side of 6th Ave.

• 3 weeks later...
What about public transportation back to JFK from ship? Start w/ taxi back to light rail, then Path - all the way to JFK? If we want to stop in midtown and visit NYC a little more, where can we store luggage - only taking carryons. Flight leaves at 4:49pm (I know this has been answered before, but I can't find the answer.)

Of course you can do this - it's NYC!!!

Taxi back to the light rail to Hoboken, Path to 33rd St. Look at Schwartz Travel for luggage storage - two locations in midtown on 36th between 8th & 9th and 46th between 5th & 6th. Both are close to the 'E' train which will take you out to JFK. Check the timings on each piece of this journey and how you get an Airtrain ticket for JFK. I'd think you'd have to self disembark to get a good start on the day.

If you don't stop in midtown, I'd take light rail to Exchange Place, Path one stop to World Trade, and pick up the E train from Chambers.

Archived