Need help from fellow Aussies re travel insurance

We always take out travel insurance whenever we do major trips like cruises or overseas holidays. We had a cruise earlier in the year and were called home early because my wife's mother took ill suddenly and passed away before we could arrive home. We took out insurance with Allianz Global Assist and they refused to pay our claim because they "dont recognise anyone over the age of 85 years". This is a disgrace and we have just been advised from Anti Discrimination Queensland Agency that it is discrimination on the basis of age.

Avoid Allianz Global Assistance travel insurance at all costs, as we have found since our experience, there are others who have lost many more dollars due to refused claims by Allianz

Other insurance we have looked at also don't payout for death of a relative over a certain age. It could be 80 with some. My mum-in-law is 92 and I wouldn't expect to be able to claim is she passed away.:)

Other insurance we have looked at also don't payout for death of a relative over a certain age. It could be 80 with some. My mum-in-law is 92 and I wouldn't expect to be able to claim is she passed away.:)

My parents are 90/92 and this is one of the main reasons I take out travel insurance. There are a lot that don't cover for over 80s or 85s but http://www.insureandgo.com.au/travel-insurance/cruise-travel-insurance.html cover for up to age 100 whether they are travelling or not.

My parents are 90/92 and this is one of the main reasons I take out travel insurance. There are a lot that don't cover for over 80s or 85s but http://www.insureandgo.com.au/travel-insurance/cruise-travel-insurance.html cover for up to age 100 whether they are travelling or not.

Thanks. I will have a look at that insurance.

As Bob mentioned with the FCC, we also don't purchase a policy until we book o'seas airfares or close to final payment but the best time as others have stated is soon after paying deposits...just in case .

Just aside, I was surprised to learn that some cruisers do not take out extra cover for a pre-existing condition even though they are on say, blood pressure tablets. I was led to believe that in the event of a heart attack, the cost of treatment and repatriation of the US to Aus could be financially crippling.

Can anyone confirm this?

I'll also have a look at this company for my elderly Mum next time!

On my recent cruise to Alaska, I could not find any company who would cover me for pre-existing (coronary stent, 12 yrs ago)

My daughter shopped around and found "Insure and go" who covered me but at a cost of $1900 for 19 days which I accepted, as I wasn't going anywhere without cover.

Archived