Azamara vs Regent

ginny123

Thank you, Suzanne, for chiming in, I knew you would. BTW, that other cc couple I mentioned was not on ths cruise with her. So far, 3 posters here have given first hand experiences, what this board is about, after all. Host Dan, Mrmojorisin, and fogmalkin, the latter 2 of whom did not purchuase the luxury version of this line, funny26 and zorro#'s. No other poster above has experienced this line.

While it is nice to hear others posts about what they "think" is a line, I hope the OP is now armed with first hand with info about Azamara, for whatever cabin level they choose.

Rally, I believe TC expressed her impressions quite well about Oceania when she was on, and perhaps after her Riviera cruise in earlier postings on this board. Topic here is Azamara.

Agree to point that this thread is about Azamara. However, some posters contend that Azamara is not in the same category as Regent but is more aligned to Oceania. Others have disagreed.

After reading the thread thus far, it would be interesting to learn the OPS thoughts. IMO, it would be helpful for the OP to read the Oceania board. There is a fairly recent thread comparing Azamara and Oceania.

In any case, anyone can certainly pay more money to sail on Regent and have the opportunity to enjoy larger cabins and a true all-inclusive environment.

Thank you everyone!! for all your very helpful replies. A special thanks to Mrmojorisin and Fogmalkin for their comparisons. You have answered several of the questions we had all without us asking J

Sadly, Regent is no longer my cruise line of choice as the included excursions just do not work for us. We either like to do our own thing, arrange private excursions in favor of the large coaches or at least like to have a choice.”

While we loved, just loved Regent (Navigator once, Mariner once), we too are not fans of the included excursions and totally agree with the above. Also, I drink very little and my husband’s choices of alcohol were not included on our Regent cruises (his special tequilas, rums, and some cognacs not even for a price).

We booked a 12 night with Azamara today at a very good rate for a Guarantee Balcony. We know for sure the room and bath will not be Regent but my original request here was in hopes of getting my expectations in line with what we already know about Regent, and Celebrity. We traveled with the kids on Celebrity last year, and while it was very nice for the family (food and service were great), the public areas were not to our liking, especially for a ‘couples getaway’. We hope Azamara will be close in many ways to Regent, but as long as it’s half-way between Celebrity and Regent, then it’s more than worth the price we’re paying. We’ll post a review and comparison after we return. Thank you all again for helping with this!

Glad to have helped Ginny!

I originally wrote the post to remind people (especially the Regent loyalists) that we do have choices. I have a number of friends who are not fans of the included excursions but do value the perks that they receive as long-time cruisers and remain loyal to the line. Azamara is NOT Regent (or Silversea or Seabourn), but it is a fine product. I have a Silversea cruise booked next month which I am looking forward to. I know I will be paying for internet, laundry etc., but those costs are easily offset by my doing private excursions, which I prefer, or just hiring a taxi, as opposed to the big coach tours. I will take those if there is no other option, but I like to have choices!

Make sure you join Club Voyage Azamara's past passenger society before your cruise and enter your club number from Celebrity as I believe you will get some reciprocal perks. Your travel agent may be able to do that for you as well if you use one.

Enjoy your cruise!

Whether one sails in a suite ir regular cabin on Azamara the food and service remains the same.

So why do some insist it is "premium" rather than "luxury?" It is sounding like no one can explain the difference, so does it exist? Of course the lines are different but folks keep saying things like, "you can't compare them because one is luxury and one is premium," but no one seems able to define those labels. Why?

Rally,

The differences do exist. For me the obvious ones were physical. As I mentioned in my post the first thing that came to mind was the bathroom. Nice, but fairly basic with no granite/marble. I have been inside an Azamara suite as we were invited for pre-dinner drinks one night but did not peek inside her bathroom to see if it was more highly upgraded. I believe it was larger than ours in our verandah cabin, but don't know about the fittings. No "designer" bathroom products whereas on Regent they are L'Occitane, Silversea gives you a choice of Bvlgari or Ferragamo and Seabourn stocks Molton Brown.

Regent offers more space per capita. Don't know how else to phrase that! Azamara's ships are roughly the size of the Navigator but can accommodate 200 more passengers.

I have not been on Azamara since it went "more-inclusive" alcohol-wise, but know it is still not at the level of Regent, Silversea or Seabourn. (I am only talking about those three lines as they are the only ones I have actually sailed and can speak of in comparison). Azamara does not have hot and cold passed canapes in the lounges before dinner, at least not on my sailing. Seabourn still offers caviar upon demand at no additional charge. There were not as many lush FRESH flower displays on Azamara. I would not have noticed this, but remembered a conversation I had with Regent's former Capt Dag after he was invited to a ship we were berthed next to for breakfast. He said "A breakfast buffet is a breakfast buffet, but what I noticed is that all of the floral arrangements in the public areas were artificial. We spend a fortune flying in flowers from Singapore to restock the ship when we are in arid countries". When the flowers in the vase in our room on Azamara pooped out about day 12 of our cruise our room attendant removed the vase as opposed to refreshing the flowers.

To me these are some of the little tangible things that differentiate a line from being a so called six star and a 5.5 star. Quality of service and food are subjective. My husband dislikes both caviar and foie gras so he certainly did not miss it in the main dining room on Azamara!

Are any of these deal-breakers? Not to me!

Rally,

The differences do exist. For me the obvious ones were physical. As I mentioned in my post the first thing that came to mind was the bathroom. Nice, but fairly basic with no granite/marble. I have been inside an Azamara suite as we were invited for pre-dinner drinks one night but did not peek inside her bathroom to see if it was more highly upgraded. I believe it was larger than ours in our verandah cabin, but don't know about the fittings. No "designer" bathroom products whereas on Regent they are L'Occitane, Silversea gives you a choice of Bvlgari or Ferragamo and Seabourn stocks Molton Brown.

Regent offers more space per capita. Don't know how else to phrase that! Azamara's ships are roughly the size of the Navigator but can accommodate 200 more passengers.

I have not been on Azamara since it went "more-inclusive" alcohol-wise, but know it is still not at the level of Regent, Silversea or Seabourn. (I am only talking about those three lines as they are the only ones I have actually sailed and can speak of in comparison). Azamara does not have hot and cold passed canapes in the lounges before dinner, at least not on my sailing. Seabourn still offers caviar upon demand at no additional charge. There were not as many lush FRESH flower displays on Azamara. I would not have noticed this, but remembered a conversation I had with Regent's former Capt Dag after he was invited to a ship we were berthed next to for breakfast. He said "A breakfast buffet is a breakfast buffet, but what I noticed is that all of the floral arrangements in the public areas were artificial. We spend a fortune flying in flowers from Singapore to restock the ship when we are in arid countries". When the flowers in the vase in our room on Azamara pooped out about day 12 of our cruise our room attendant removed the vase as opposed to refreshing the flowers.

To me these are some of the little tangible things that differentiate a line from being a so called six star and a 5.5 star. Quality of service and food are subjective. My husband dislikes both caviar and foie gras so he certainly did not miss it in the main dining room on Azamara!

Are any of these deal-breakers? Not to me!

Perfect and thank you! My interest was less in the specifics of Azmara or Oceana ships but rather in what makes the difference between the classifications and you answered that. As usual, its the little but important details :)

Perfect and thank you! My interest was less in the specifics of Azmara or Oceana ships but rather in what makes the difference between the classifications and you answered that. As usual, its the little but important details :)

Yes, the little things...and everyone has their favorites. Several I would notice and be a big deal to me, and dozens I might overlook which mean the world to other people. The luxury lines may have different specialties, but they all have many of those little (to big) things which make them worth the premium price.

Maybe some of us can post some of the differences which made the luxury line feel luxury to them?

The ones making a difference to me and giving the big edge to Regent...

- the size of the rooms/bathrooms (this difference is somewhat avoidable if buying up to a big suite)

- even though the buffet was much smaller on Regent, I found more food I liked, and amazing new dishes were there daily. Celebrity had tons of fine buffet food, but it was pretty much the same daily and even with all that choice, it got a bit boring by day 5 to me.

- and, don't flame me as these were my experiences, the public areas being classy, whether sedate or active. This was the biggest difference to me, by far.

On Regent, no constant party-by-the-pool feeling with loud piped-in music;

no obese people pulling deck-chairs half on the walking-track (deck above the pool area, too crowded always so spillover (no pun intended) onto the track), then undoing their top and sunning themselves facedown (hey, I'm a big enough guy, but I try not to look like I've washed up mostly naked on the walking track);

the observation lounge on Mariner was a calm and beautiful place to read or sit and talk most of the day, enjoy the view of the ports/tender if the weather was too hot/cold, etc, with only a couple of activies interrupting that, and those hardly ever rose to a growing den of competing voices.

Celebrity's observation area was gorgeous, but every few minutes, an activity was in there, or a private gathering closing it, etc, and the voices in there grew more and more loud during the activity.

Celebrity's adult pool was ok, but enclosed, greenhouse-glass style, and got loud more times than not with all-day hot-tubbers.

To be fair, we were on Celebrity during Easter week, so maybe it was just a more roaring crowd then. But it comes down to people who know they are starting to become intrusively loud then back it down a bit, and people to revel in making noise and are unaware or do it for attention. Both types cruise every cruise, I guess, but I didn't see any on Regent. And it's also up to a cruiseline's activities/coordinators to steer towards fun without it becoming Mardi Gras everywhere all the time.

So it's probably the 'number of passengers' angle...more people, more crowded and loud. There were very, very nice fellow passengers on both Celebrity and Regent. With so many more on the bigger Celebrity ship (2000 pax), the Celebrity line did things to 'enliven' the ship, but just made it loud.

But then, I'm a young-ish old-fogey(sp)...like to read, look into my wife's blue eyes, eat good food, drink good drink, see great sites, laze around, watch movies, walk a few miles daily, chat with neat people without us all talking above piped-music, etc. I get all that with Regent (and presumably other luxe lines). Celebrity public areas were just too loud for me.

We're still in the whirlwind of raising kids, so having my cruise be as close to a quaalude is my goal. :D

That being said, the MDR food and service was pretty much equal with Regent and Celebrity, and the room stewards were better on Celebrity.

Regent has squeezed the employees too much, IMO. All cabins should have two stewards, even if they have twice the rooms to clean. It simply gives better service that way. When something is needed, one of the two can probably attend to it more quickly than one person overwhelmed and, at times, burnt out. When I start to feel like asking for something small is going to place an undue burden on someone with too much to do, it means I probably would rather do without it. But then, that's not '9 star' service, or whatever the number is now.

And it was hit or miss too often with service in the Compass Rose for us until we found our gem of a waitress and stayed with her. Again, I didn't have stars dripping off my sleeve when trying to attact my entree 40 minutes after we'd finished the appetizer.

When Regent was more in line with my budget (they've gone up around 30-40% in 2 years with no good deals offered), we felt that Regent's all-inclusiveness and luxury was worth 2.5 to 3 times what we paid on Celebrity. Now Regent is 4 to 6 times that, and we'd be paying for things we wouldn't use (excursions, excess alcohol, entertainment).

So we're trying Azamara on a pretty good deal and we'll see (I'm Ginny123's hubby). Once the kids are grown and wage-earning, and we have more money, maybe we'll want to throw excessive (to me) money to get that extra 20% closer-to-perfection cruise feel. For now, we'll deal-shop for the closest thing. If Regent would give me $2 off for every brochure they send (which we immediately toss), then we could afford to go on one or more Regent cruises per year. :rolleyes: (ok, not really)

See my comments below, please. . .

Yes, the little things...and everyone has their favorites. Several I would notice and be a big deal to me, and dozens I might overlook which mean the world to other people. The luxury lines may have different specialties, but they all have many of those little (to big) things which make them worth the premium price.

Maybe some of us can post some of the differences which made the luxury line feel luxury to them?

That is a great idea!

The ones making a difference to me and giving the big edge to Regent...

- the size of the rooms/bathrooms (this difference is somewhat avoidable if buying up to a big suite)

YEP!

. . . no obese people pulling deck-chairs half on the walking-track (deck above the pool area, too crowded always so spillover (no pun intended) onto the track), then undoing their top and sunning themselves facedown

Well, I know that isn't eliminated on "luxury lines :) On a long segment of a Voyager world cruise their was a female world cruiser the world cruisers referred to privately at "the whale" in a thong, no top, and rude to all crew. ugh!

So it's probably the 'number of passengers' angle...more people, more crowded and loud.

I think that may be the difference for us. Not the total number of passengers but the feeling of space. We have found that on all the Regent, Silversea and Crystal ships..

What you posted about Celebrity is interesting. This is more or less showing the difference between a "premium" cruise line and a "premium plus" cruise line (Azamara and Oceania). Celebrity certainly has its fans -- we know a couple that went on their first Celebrity cruise last year and is about to embark on their third cruise.

I was taken aback by the weight comment as there are people of all sizes and shapes on all cruise lines. IMO, people should not be defined by their weight, age, sexual orientation, race, etc. There are slobs and cultured passengers in all of these categories (and everything in between).

As much as we love Regent, we find ourselves wanting to book another Oceania cruise..... this time staying in a top suite. Although Azamara and Oceania are considered direct competition, I suspect that Azamara cannot compete with the suites (and special amenities) given to Oceania passengers (in Penthouse and above suites). Azamara and some Oceania ships are former Rennaisance ships. I cannot imagine that they can be as over the top stunning as the new Oceania ships. This is something to consider when looking at "premium plus" cruise lines. Having said that, there is no comparison between regular "staterooms" on Oceania and "suites" on Regent.

Really wish there was someone on this thread that had sailed both Oceania and Azamara. I completely believe that the service is wonderful on both ships. What I cannot believe is that food on Azamara is better than the specialty restaurants on Oceania (which, IMO, are better than Regent or Silversea.)

Whether one sails in a suite ir regular cabin on Azamara the food and service remains the same.

This is incorrect.

We had a suite on th Azamara Quest earlier this year.

The suites have butler service, an included in bar set up, welcoming champagne and crucially free and priority access to the two speciality restaurants. One of the restaurants had the best service and some of the best food we have experienced at sea in many a year. This is when comparing our experience with Seabourn, Silversea and QueensGrill Cunard.

Hope this correction is helpful

I'm well aware the the suites have butler service. I was talking about the service in the public spaces.

Not sure I follow your drift. But no matter. As long as my description is clear to potential cruisers then I am content.

And en passant, considering Azamara is " all inclusive" from this year; their prices in the UK for a suite ( at least what I paid) were very good value. It was nice to be back on a Renaissance ship again. But Azamara will not become our preferred Cruise Line.

Was this in Prime C or Aqualina?

Prime C. Food was very good; but the service was outstanding.

We ate in Aqualina and enjoyed that also; but they could not match P C for service.

Other passengers we talked to preferred Aqualina. Horses for Course:)

Oh , and by the way have you ever sailed with Azamara?

I ask because the product changed from Spring of this year when they went "all inclusive". The new system was just bedding in when we were on the Quest earlier in the year. It was proving popular both with new guests and seasoned Azamarians.

Oh , and by the way have you ever sailed with Azamara?

I ask because the product changed from Spring of this year when they went "all inclusive". The new system was just bedding in when we were on the Quest earlier in the year. It was proving popular both with new guests and seasoned Azamarians.

I am taking my first Azamara cruise next week and I have been reading this board with interest.

Azamara is not "all inclusive." In fact the many Brits who sail Azamara (and love it) have been infuriated that the term has been used in British marketing and have labelled it "deceptive." There are long threads about this on the A boards.

Alcohol -- only cheaper brands included and the choices are quite limited (nothing remotely like is offered on Regent) and many are not happy with the choices-- they are still selling drink packages. There are long threads about this too on the A boards.

Specialty restaurants -- there is a charge for both of them.

Shore excursions -- are not included

DVDs - I just read they charge 11.99 to rent a DVD to watch - yikes

In that sense, Azamara is not comparable to Regent.

I am taking my first Azamara cruise next week and I have been reading this board with interest.

Azamara is not "all inclusive." In fact the many Brits who sail Azamara (and love it) have been infuriated that the term has been used in British marketing and have labelled it "deceptive." There are long threads about this on the A boards.

Alcohol -- only cheaper brands included and the choices are quite limited (nothing remotely like is offered on Regent) and many are not happy with the choices-- they are still selling drink packages. There are long threads about this too on the A boards.

Specialty restaurants -- there is a charge for both of them.

Shore excursions -- are not included

DVDs - I just read they charge 11.99 to rent a DVD to watch - yikes

In that sense, Azamara is not comparable to Regent.

Well, " all inclusive" is the new addition to the product this year replacing just a limited choice of "free wine" with meals. Although choice of booze is somewhat limited it is no worse than some offerings on Seabourn for example that are touted as fine wines.

As to speciality restaurants, they are " free" if you have a suite as we had.

And for Brits, the prices charged for 2013 cruises ( which often include flights and pre cruise hotel), as very good value. Whether you like the product is of course a matter of personal choice. But it is VFM.

Hope this little bit of insight is helpful

Well, " all inclusive" is the new addition to the product this year replacing just a limited choice of "free wine" with meals. Although choice of booze is somewhat limited it is no worse than some offerings on Seabourn for example that are touted as fine wines.

As to speciality restaurants, they are " free" if you have a suite as we had.

And for Brits, the prices charged for 2013 cruises ( which often include flights and pre cruise hotel), as very good value. Whether you like the product is of course a matter of personal choice. But it is VFM.

Hope this little bit of insight is helpful

My point is that to use the term "all inclusive" on this board (where Regent cruisers interpret the term quite differently) is misleading. If you want to compare the two fine -- but Azamara is not "all inclusive" in the Regent sense of the term.

My point is that to use the term "all inclusive" on this board (where Regent cruisers interpret the term quite differently) is misleading. If you want to compare the two fine -- but Azamara is not "all inclusive" in the Regent sense of the term.

That is of course a very good point and I am deserving of scolding. Mea Culpa.

Just to say that I used " all inclusive" in the context of Azamara and I tried to provide illustration in the hope it would be helpful. Perhaps I should have said " all inclusive with reservations"or some other construction but that would have been nugatory ( IMHO) If you are interested in the general application of the term in the cruise industry, you may wish also to look up the Seabourn and Silversea references to "included/inclusive". And if you really want to see a whole range of interpretation just search on Google. Sorry, I did not want to open a debate about semantics. So end of.

That is of course a very good point and I am deserving of scolding. Mea Culpa.

Just to say that I used " all inclusive" in the context of Azamara and I tried to provide illustration in the hope it would be helpful. Perhaps I should have said " all inclusive with reservations"or some other construction but that would have been nugatory ( IMHO) If you are interested in the general application of the term in the cruise industry, you may wish also to look up the Seabourn and Silversea references to "included/inclusive". And if you really want to see a whole range of interpretation just search on Google. Sorry, I did not want to open a debate about semantics. So end of.

Regent boards never disappoint.

There is always someone wanting to pick a fight.

Ridiculous. Nobody "scolded" anyone - all in your mind.

Regent boards never disappoint.

There is always someone wanting to pick a fight.

Ridiculous. Nobody "scolded" anyone - all in your mind.

Oh dear - it was a JOKE.

Where on earth did you get the idea I was trying to pick a fight. I was trying to explain the different contexts in which " all inclusive" is used and interpreted in the cruise and holiday industries and maybe even in the USA and here across the pond. Without pressing the point you will see that my earlier post cf Azamara placed all inclusive in parentheses which links it to Azamara's use of the term.

This is my first excursion onto the Regent boards, occasioned by a wish to correct inaccuracies by another poster. All offered in the spirit of camaraderie that I thought was the hallmark of CC. Have I inadvertantly stumbled upon and become the victim of relationship issues on this Board?

Archived