Want Did You Think about Giverny/Rouen Shore Excursion from Le Havre?

wolfpackmom

We are considering this shore excursion with X in October, and I would like some feedback on what you thought about it (please no suggestions on private tours, as we are only considering a shore excursion). I know it will be a long day (10-12 hrs), but did you enjoy it? Are you glad you went? Were you totally exhausted when you returned to the ship or were you able to relax a bit, shower and go to dinner?

Giverny and Rouen are both "must sees" one time in your life. Monet's home and gardens in Giverny are simply gorgeous, and you go back in time as it was when he lived there. Rouen, you are able to view the half timbered houses, where Joan of Arc was buried at the stake, the way of life in France of 500 years ago. I did not take an X excursion, but recently visited on a river cruise.

Dear Mom,

We toured Giverney and Rouen, but did it in a private taxi. The cost was about 400 Euros including tip, BUT we were the masters of our fate.

I would highly recommend le havre taxis. On our cruise, that tour was not offered, so we did it on our own.

We left the ship around 9 AM and were back by about 3:30, fed, rested, and relaxed.

We had lunch at the Hotel Baudy, which was right down the street from Monet's house.

Remember, if you do the ship's excursion, you will have to wait for 40 people to get on and off the bus, spend a lot of time having lunch served for 40 people, etc.

I know you did not want to hear about a private tour, but IMO, it is the best way to visit both places.

If you go to our website and click on 2011 Europe part1, the story and pictures of our tour are there.

If you have any questions, please e-mail us.

Dear Mom,

We toured Giverney and Rouen, but did it in a private taxi. The cost was about 400 Euros including tip, BUT we were the masters of our fate.

I would highly recommend le havre taxis. On our cruise, that tour was not offered, so we did it on our own.

We left the ship around 9 AM and were back by about 3:30, fed, rested, and relaxed.

We had lunch at the Hotel Baudy, which was right down the street from Monet's house.

Remember, if you do the ship's excursion, you will have to wait for 40 people to get on and off the bus, spend a lot of time having lunch served for 40 people, etc.

I know you did not want to hear about a private tour, but IMO, it is the best way to visit both places.

If you go to our website and click on 2011 Europe part1, the story and pictures of our tour are there.

If you have any questions, please e-mail us.

Thank you so much for your kind reply, but as I stated in my OP, we are only considering a shore excursion so please no suggestions on private tours.

We did the shore excursion with Holland America - but your Celebrity excursion should be the same - the local tour operators submit a "set" plan and do this for most of the cruise lines.

It was a wonderful day, and not sorry we took the cruiseline excursion.Plenty of time in the gardens on your own and tour of Monet's house...nice lunch at a restaurant near a stream - walking tour of Rouen, inside the church, inside Joan of Arc Church...We had some free time in Rouen, but as it was a Sunday, not everything was open.

Archived