Viking Jarl --- anyone???

happy77

Still haven't heard anything about the Jarl. Hasn't anyone been on this ship? I'm beginning to wonder if it exists. We are on it Sept 13 from Amsterdam to Basel. Anyone Out There????:confused::confused::confused:

We are taking this cruise next year (Basel to Amsterdam) on the Viking Tor. Look forward to hearing about your experiences.

Hi: I will plan to write a little something when we return. Time is getting short, we leave home 4 weeks from today. Can't wait Nan

We will be on the Jarl on Sept 27.....I think this is a new boat and recently placed in service so maybe that is why no comments are available. Would love to hear any comments when you return in preparation for our cruise. Good luck and have a great trip.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Yes it will most likely be cold. But the Christmas markets and just the festive Christmas, New Year atmosphere is great. Some years no snow, and some a lot. Last year at Christmas in France it was in the 50's.

We went in 2010 on a Danube cruise and there was snow everywhere. I had boots and the snow and ice did not bother me. It was a beautiful trip. We did many walking tour in light snow.

Viking has some great specials for Nov and Dec. on airfare. The only thing I do worry about (that's why trip insurance) is if there is snow and the airports in the US or Europe close.

I also look at the levels of the rivers, as we have had one trip where we had to stay three days at hotels due to the low levels on the Rhine. That really was not too bad. The rooms were nice, the food average at the hotels, but gives you a different perspective. We would prefer being on the ship, but river levels fluctuate.

We were ready to book the other day and the cruise got sold out. Oh well.

Enjoy

That's really too bad...

I am sure something else will surface that will be "just right" for you...

Good Luck with your research!!

Fran

• 2 weeks later...

We're getting off the Jarl this morning in Amsterdam after a 7 day trip from Basel. Great trip, crew and experience. We'd book with Viking again in a heartbeat!

Lots of walking, although they did have "leisure" groups for some of the ports. Food was wonderful and plenty of it...too much for some, like me.

My husband took WWII tour in Breisach and said it made the trip, fantastic guide Malcolm.

We had never been on a river cruise and didn't know what to expect, other than what we'd heard on Cruise Critic, but have had a wonderful time!

No problem hearing the program director in the lounge, just get there slightly ahead of time. (Report on cc) Program Director Rene getting off here. Concierge Dora (the Explorer) excellent.

We're going home on the Queen Mary so don't know how good the internet will be, but will answer any questions as possible.

Enjoy it!

Pam

Thanks alabama. We are on this same cruise next year on the Viking Tor. This will be our second Viking cruise as we too had such a wonderful first experience with them.

Looking forward to hearing more when you have time.

I would like to have your feedback on the various excursions. Did you do any of the optional?

We're getting off the Jarl this morning in Amsterdam after a 7 day trip from Basel. Great trip, crew and experience. We'd book with Viking again in a heartbeat!

Lots of walking, although they did have "leisure" groups for some of the ports. Food was wonderful and plenty of it...too much for some, like me.

My husband took WWII tour in Breisach and said it made the trip, fantastic guide Malcolm.

We had never been on a river cruise and didn't know what to expect, other than what we'd heard on Cruise Critic, but have had a wonderful time!

No problem hearing the program director in the lounge, just get there slightly ahead of time. (Report on cc) Program Director Rene getting off here. Concierge Dora (the Explorer) excellent.

We're going home on the Queen Mary so don't know how good the internet will be, but will answer any questions as possible.

Enjoy it!

Pam

Sounds like the Jarl was great. We are on it from Amsterdam to Basel Sept. 13. We are leaving home next Wed and doing some sight seeing in France before the cruise. Will look forward to some more reports from you. Thanks Nan

Enjoy it!

Pam

Dear alabama_ghost,

All of us at Viking are so happy to learn that you had a wonderful time on your cruise and that you would travel with us again “in a heartbeat!” Many thanks for choosing to sail with us and for making special mention of our crew onboard—we’re glad they helped to make your trip even more special. If you have any comments or suggestions that you’d like to share with us, we can be reached at TellUs@vikingcruises.com. We hope to hear from you soon and wish you a great cruise on the Queen Mary!

Sincerely,

Viking Cruises

• 2 weeks later...

We got home yesterday afternoon, but will post more info about the Viking cruise on the Jarl shortly. River cruising is so different from ocean cruising that so much of it was unexpected for us, like the incredible ease of boarding and disembarking, the availability of the Captain and other top crew members, and how many people you got to know during the course of the trip.

The included tours were great as were the sights we saw along the way.

Will post soon with more details.

Pam

Archived