Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

What's wrong with a pot that you dip your mitts in like other fine food establishments. :p

Quite right!

Isn't it odd how it use to be really working class to have Heinz sauce en bouteille on the table, but now it's seen as reassurance and quality and not corne/cost-cutting!

Today it has been focaccia ....

7D91E38A-A2B7-426D-AAA3-8DEC438A05B8_zpsba45rav7.jpg

Need some help from the British contingent regarding our trip to London later this year. We get off Seven Seas Voyager in Cape Town on 21 Dec and fly to London night of 22 Dec. We will be in London three nights flying back to Alabama on the 26th. We are looking for hotel taking into account lack of transportation on Christmas Day. We utilize Hilton properties as I will use points and status usually ensures a good stay.

We have stayed at Park Lane, Waldorf Hilton, and Hilton Euston before. We were wondering if Hilton Trafalgar Square might be a good choice. Waldorf Hilton also seems like a good location but Park Lane wasn't convenient to Tube last time we were there and would be a long walk except to Hyde Park. Any suggestion on areas of the city where we should stay?

Any knowledge of good restaurant choices for Christmas Day? Any recommendations for church service (we were thing St Martin or Westminster Abbey if an option)?

Finally, we fly out at noon on Boxing Day; what are our public transportation options to get to LHR?

Many thanks!

Marc

Hi Marc,

I think to be helpful it would be good if you could give me a touch more detail about what you really want from your few days in London and then you can be directed to more appropriate suggestions.

I think basing yourself in Trafalgar Square is a good call as there is so much around you - you cannot possibly go wrong.

Some churches ...

http://www.london-architecture.info/TEN/TEN-Churches.htm

From a church point of view I would certainly miss out on the big names and choose something like Priory Church of St Bartholomew The Great in Cloth Fair in Smithfield.

http://www.greatstbarts.com/

This was where the fourth wedding in Four Weddings and a Funeral was filmed - I use to live just round the corner in Barbican. This will be less touristy and more personal than the cathedrals. Just by the entrance is a lovely old pub The Rising sun and also close is The Hand and Sheers

http://www.heritagepubs.org.uk/pubs/national-inventory-entry.asp?pubid=38

... and The Rising Sun opposite the entrance to the church. Lovely places to have a pint of real English beer during Christmas ... a true Dickensian atmosphere.

So far as food is concerned .... if you can avoid the yearning for a traditional Christmas lunch then you will avoid some inflated prices.

Just give some idea of what you want.

How does this sound so far?

Jeff

..... missed off pictures of The Rising Sun ..

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=the+rising+sun+smithfield&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=zjsBU6f3HIm10wXs24GIAQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1521&bih=718

One other church suggestion .... you need to check if they have services ... is The Temple Church. I suggest this as it is in the Inns a part of hidden and almost secret London that houses the Barristers Chambers. I took a friend who is an American film producer there and he used it for the setting of a famous Dickensian film. It is also walkable from Trafalgar Square.

http://www.templechurch.com/

748px-Middle_Temple_Lane.jpg

What we are looking for is eating, drinking, Christmas Markets, maybe one of the Dickens walks, probably will try to see a show in West End if available, shopping, and good walks. We have been to London three times before (along with two longer trips to England and Scotland) and have seen most of the bigger sights.

Marc

Thanks Duct Tape, Jeff and Mr Luxury for your restaurant suggestions. Some of the menus sound amazing. Truffle at 34 sounds good and the J Sheeky Oyster Bar would suit my Jeff. Quite a few establishments in the 'group'.

We had a lovely Valentines Dinner at a little local restaurant that specializes in stuzzicini (sp), was very nice and we could walk there so didn't have to worry about having a drink or two ;)

Enjoying the food pics.

Karin

Enjoying the food pics.

Karin

She yearned for a Christmas Lunch yesterday .... so I made her some stuffed Turkey breast with a pork and chestnut stuffing, Yorkshire pud and veggies .... and a light sauce ... with a bottle of lovely cheap Pecheur.

8A0105B2-5A82-429A-A69E-9788260D2E7F_zpsjawadzfo.jpg

Where are your food piccies!

:eek:

Marq, thank you for recognising Boxing Day!

I'm not a Londoner, but I believe that tube services are pretty much the same on Boxing Day as the Sunday service, but they sometimes start later in the morning. What time does your airline want you to be at Heathrow for your noon flight?

Quote:

Originally Posted by V8Babe

Hi Jeff

Yes, still around, I don't post often but I'm here each day having a 'catch up'.

We're still deciding what to do about MC - will have to make a decision soon though.

Wondered where you were, I've seen you pop your head in every now and then. Hope all well.

Karin

G'day Karin,

Lovely to see you are still here ....

Yes .. all is really well and still here asttempting to keep Lux and others mildly amused (or irritated as they wish ) or at least trying to hedge boredom by introducing a little off-topic diversions!

Just back from three lovely weeks in Singapore following our extended August stay and getting reaquainted with street food, having some quality time with the suite mini-bar and the lounge cocktail (2) hours .... The IC is a wonderful second-home. Singapore was lovely this visit ... no storms .. no haze and discovered a few more things to lean to cook.

Just booked Vienna for a couple of our regular 4 nighters ie 17th to 21st March to celebrate a milestone wedding anniversary and then 15th to 19th September for our joint birthday celebrations ...(I'm 36 hours older than her ...) and I've also booked just a long day in Amsterdam in May which she doesn't know about yet .. I'll leave it to the night before ... when I'm taking her for a canal ride followed by a rijsttafel .. and then home. It'll be a long day but I did it a few years ago for the whole family and she loved it. Also just booking a couple more extended Singapore stays for this summer and next January. I'm still agonising about how I might get her up to see the Northen Lights as this year is going to be particularly good ... but I'm not certain about the palaver. Those Hurtigruten mail boats might be the thing.

If you or any in-thread congenials are happening to be in Vienna during the above dates and fancy a CC Stelze (pork knuckle) meet up - just post interest in this thread and we'll arrange a nice meet up lunch at the Swiss House for Budvar and Pork and some bratties for the longest and most pointless lunch ever devised to discuss life and it's various permutations. And or a lunch at a heurige we know well.

http://www.schweizerhaus.at/#!/page_home

How about you? You must be excited about your upcoming trip.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Can you recommend any other restaurant to try Stelze as the SwissHouse is closed when we travel later this week, our concierge suggested Salm Brau?

Have you any other must try restaurants? We have booked Cantinetta Antinori for one evening. I'm travelling with 2 older kids, but don't want stiff Michelin type places.

I have never been to Vienna before so am looking forward to going.

We are hoping to visit National History Museum and SchonnBrunn Palace/Zoo.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Jeff,

Can you recommend any other restaurant to try Stelze as the SwissHouse is closed when we travel later this week, our concierge suggested Salm Brau?

Have you any other must try restaurants? We have booked Cantinetta Antinori for one evening. I'm travelling with 2 older kids, but don't want stiff Michelin type places.

I have never been to Vienna before so am looking forward to going.

We are hoping to visit National History Museum and SchonnBrunn Palace/Zoo.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Hi sakaara,

There is a bit of an unavoidable issue with stelze. In our view it is the Swiss House or nothing because only in the Swiss House when it opens (just before our visit ... we timed it that way .......;) ) they have a production line and make it all day in vast quantity freshly. Mrs Kolarik is the family head and she is really tough about it.

The other places will freeze it and defrost or keep it on hold for too long. It will be a dissapointment because they sell so few and it takes hours to prepare. Probably. So I would give it a miss. But see Zum Martin Zepp below for a porky alternative.

If you are with your kids then although not the best schnitzel .... you might try the Figlmullers in Bäckerstraße not the more touristy one in the ally around the corner in Wollzeile

http://www.figlmueller.at/en/

... menu ...

http://www.figlmueller.at/en/figlmueller-wollzeile-en.html?file=files/figlmueller/files/speisekarten/W5/FM_Speisekarte_W5_Gesamt_D%2BENG_AKTUELL.pdf

Unless you have an enourmous appetite one schnitzel between two with with a large mixed salad between two and some Rösterdäpfel / Roast potatoes.

If you want a more restful lunch then up on the train to Heiligenstadt on green U4 line then the 38 bus from outside the station to Figls in Grinzing.

A lovely ride out from Schottentor up to Grinzing on the 38a tram to the last stop gets you to Martin Sepp. ONLY GO FOR LUNCH not dinner as in the evening it's overun with tourists and coaches and at lunch they have a wonderful all you can eat buffet with nice pork and other meats, salads, desert and soup etc that is a very very good substitute for the stelze.

http://www.zummartinsepp.at/

It is 8.50 euros per person and wine is heurige in 1/4 liter tankards. My wife and I spend hours there. If it's nice sit in the garden. Say hello from Jeff.

http://www.zummartinsepp.at/news/136-martin-sepps-mittagsbuffet?layout=zms

... piccies....

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=zum+martin+sepp&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=uyUCU6LNLJOBhAfhvYHABQ&sqi=2&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1521&bih=718

Pfudl is good for spending a bit more and few tourists go.

http://www.gasthauspfudl.com/

A cheap place with a good value daily menu and good beer is "The Poor Student" ...

http://www.bettelstudent.at/

Hope this is enough to get you started ...

Where are you staying?

Jeff

Thank You Jeff, you have given me lots of info to Google.

I'm so disappointed about the Swiss House being closed but your advice about reheated alternatives was great,as I never thought about that.

We are staying at the Ritz which is offering 4 nights for price of 3. Have you been there ?

I will get to work checking your tips.

Thanks again.

Thank You Jeff, you have given me lots of info to Google.

I'm so disappointed about the Swiss House being closed but your advice about reheated alternatives was great,as I never thought about that.

We are staying at the Ritz which is offering 4 nights for price of 3. Have you been there ?

I will get to work checking your tips.

Thanks again.

It is lovely to help someone who says "thanks" ... it's a pleasure. :)

No we always stay at the IC and before that we use to stay at the Radisson or Hilton and before that when we had three week stays the Sacher Appartments.

Our ritual ... if it helps ... is that every morning we go to Schonbrunn gardens for a walk up to the Gloriette and then down the other side.

799px-Sch%C3%B6nbrunn_Blick_auf_Gloriette.jpg

To be honest ... we do not rate the interior of Schonbrunn and this is just personal taste. But if you do visit arrive very early to queue before the coach trips otherwise it is a bun fight. You can see the main room in the Palace by simply climbing the front steps and looking through the window and missing the tour completely and save some cash. You may prefer to get on and off at Heitzing station rather than Schobrunn as the walk is nicer through the grounds and they'll be less people around you. When you return going to Heitzing station means you will get a seat on the train ....;)

The zoo is fine ... but can get full of noisy school crowds unless you arrive when it opens.

If you like art then opposite the History Museum is the art gallery and they have some great collections including one of my favourite artists Bruegel ... and one of my favourite paintings Hunters in the Snow. I like to run up the stairs to the second floor and spend 15 minutes with it before the crowds follow....

01januar.jpg

A tip for you ...

Get two 8 day climate tickets ie 2 people can use them for 4 days each. This is the cheapest and best travel ticket used by locals. It is 35.80 for each strip and you just put it in the machine on the tram bus or metro (2 strips for two people) - it gives a full days travel.

http://www.wienerlinien.at/eportal/ep/programView.do/pageTypeId/10220/programId/11066/channelId/-8366

8tagekarte.jpg

If you have any further questions .... ask.

By the way .... an Italian Restarant when visitng Vienna? :eek:

Hi Jeff, lots of very useful tips thank you.

Really appreciate all the effort you have gone to. I will definitely take your advice

On the travel cards. How long is the walk from Heitzing to Schonnbrunn, is it a safe area? I'm on my own in Vienna with the kids until Friday when my husband will join us.

Is the Heurigen worth a visit at this time of year, I checked out Martin Sepp and it looks lovely?

I know an Italian restaurant is an odd choice in Austria but when I saw that the Antinori Restaurant was there we had to go. We ate at Osteria Di Passignano Near Florence at Antinori's Vineyard a few years ago on a Silversea excursion and it was fabulous. I will let you know on our return if it was worth the detour.

Thank you, you have been a great help!

Hi Jeff, lots of very useful tips thank you.

Really appreciate all the effort you have gone to. I will definitely take your advice

On the travel cards. How long is the walk from Heitzing to Schonnbrunn, is it a safe area? I'm on my own in Vienna with the kids until Friday when my husband will join us.

Is the Heurigen worth a visit at this time of year, I checked out Martin Sepp and it looks lovely?

I know an Italian restaurant is an odd choice in Austria but when I saw that the Antinori Restaurant was there we had to go. We ate at Osteria Di Passignano Near Florence at Antinori's Vineyard a few years ago on a Silversea excursion and it was fabulous. I will let you know on our return if it was worth the detour.

Thank you, you have been a great help!

Hi,

Yes you will be perfectly safe in Vienna both night and day. The Heitzing stop is the same walking distance to the palace as from the main station but avoidss walking along a horrible main road. Instead you walk through the park. Heitzin is also the stop you use to go to the zoo. The park is safe ... it is used by both the army and police as a place for running and exercise so you will see many strapping young men!

Also ... thinking about your visit with your two older kids I suggest you visit the wurstel stands ....

http://www.viennadirect.com/food/sausages.php

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=wurstelstand+vienna&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=iy0DU96RJ8H50gWShoCQBw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1521&bih=718

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g190454-d2656869-r144026419-Bitzinger_Wurstelstand_Albertina-Vienna.html

and in particicular the Bitzinger one outside the Alberttina which sells sekt and champagne to the opera crowds and the other at Hohe Markt

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g190454-d1138872-Reviews-Wurstelstand_am_Hohen_Markt-Vienna.html

My friend (Ronnie) owns a bar around the corner which you may enjoy ...

http://www.kuchldragoner.com/

There is an outside seating area and he sells the best naturlub ie natural beer in Vienna - Zwickel Naturtrüb Kuchldragoner Hausbier is what you ask for.

The seating overlooks

http://www.ruprechtskirche.at/new/

.... which is a wonderful small church and they regularly play and rehearse "ancient music" on old instruments. Experiencing this will be a highlight if you love such things.

Yes, re heurige. If you want a wonderful peaceful lunch as an antidote to the city then Sepp on a weekday lunch is wonderful. I think it is a la carte over weekends. If you want the full tourist experience with all that that means then it is evenings. There are some wonderful walks around Grinzing from the Kahlengerg down to the village across the vineyards etc. Martin Sepps wine is all grown in the fields around Grinzing.

I fear I have overloaded you with idea ... but more choice is a better choice.

I do so hope you grow to love Vienna and it becomes a place you yearn to return to. Ask anything more you wish to know.

:)

That does look lovely Jeff. Evocative of a lazy, boozy summer lunch. I'm definitely ready for summer !

We're visiting Singapore on a cruise next month, any tips for first timers?

Yes .... very important to inject some summer into a horrible run of UK weather ..... I hope you noticed the rose ....:)

Of course. How long are you staying in Singapore ... where ... and what particular passions should we focus on?

D9C29AF5-B66F-41C9-B841-A6DF1B6BFCAB_zpshxxnb6iz.jpg

Jeff,

liking the red onion,you can keep that potato salad stuff,can't stand it.

Where's the quiche from?

like the green bits on the quiche (just for the photos,I bet)

Nice touch with the catering serviette dispenser.;)

I've just got the silver napkin rings with the family crest on them,that reminds me,must get Ivan to clean the silver, that might keep him away from my wine cellar.

Edited by Mr Luxury

Jeff,

liking the red onion,you can keep that potato salad stuff,can't stand it.

Where's the quiche from?

like the green bits on the quiche (just for the photos,I bet)

Nice touch with the catering serviette dispenser.;)

I've just got the silver napkin rings with the family crest on them,that reminds me,must get Ivan to clean the silver, that might keep him away from my wine cellar.

The normal comment is "that bleedin' serviette dispenser makes it either "diner" or "transport caf"!"

49766011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=17d522eba23bfacc6699ccc5a1c1a6e0

It makes no sense making a quiche when you can buy a perfect one ... and that parsely slur is bleedin' 'urtful. It's one of 'er "5 a day".

:)