Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Broaching breaches, are we?

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Good heavens no. Just alerting to potential pitfalls.

Should you have chosen to visit Stonehenge this weekend, you could have found ( or lost) yourself in horrendous traffic congestion. Reports of three hour delays on the main approach road:eek:

Should you have chosen to visit Stonehenge this weekend, you could have found ( or lost) yourself in horrendous traffic congestion. Reports of three hour delays on the main approach road:eek:

We use the A303 between Hampshire and Devon regularly, and when the bypass and underpass were first mooted I suggested that it would be easier to move the stones. They have been fiddled with so much this seemed perfectly reasonable to me.

Mark,

What are you and your dear Lady doing outside our unfinished home in Wiltshire?

:D

Did you enjoy your visit?

Jeff

Actually, we were on the inside looking out. You must have been off an a cruise or something. We were given strict orders not to touch anything, but I might have not listened very well. Hopefully, I didn't break any of your valuables. And yes, we enjoyed it.

Edited by Mark_K

Actually, we were on the inside looking out. You must have been off an a cruise or something. We were given strict orders not to touch anything, but I might have not listened very well. Hopefully, I didn't break any of your valuables. And yes, we enjoyed it.

Oh dear, Mark. You touched the Stone!?:eek:

You were obviously aware of The Curse of The Stones?

:(

It was closed when we visited, that cuts down on the crowds. ;)

Right up to 2000BC?:rolleyes:

:D

Just a bit surprised someone implies they were sold a private visit when it's open every day of the year for most of the daylight hours and you can't prebook any of the equinox dates. People do like to hear "private visit" don't they! And there's no difference in the view of the Stones from inside against outside the rope. And if you are asked not to touch ... perhaps you should comply.;)

Most people feel the need to visit the Stones but it is a visit that locks out a complete day of a trip to England and a surprising number of people aren't as impressed with their visit as they had anticipated. Sometimes just looking at the pictures and reading about the history is sufficient. It always seems to be raining and then there's the noise of the traffic .... and many are surprised when told that they were only put upright relatively recently in what was hoped was the original positions. And for the rudimentary nature, they are pretty modern age wise. We have a Roman villa in our village that get's re-excavated every few years - now that is an impressive structure. We also have a banjo settlement a few yards from our house, and Danebury is also close by.

We live close by Stonehenge and pass it weekly - it is well known and I understand why people visit - mostly for it's mystery, but it seems to me so disappointing as a "wonder" the interest being mostly about the method of bringing/transporting the stones and speculation about it's function, rather than the structure itself.

But the tourist cash is worthwhile.:)

When was it shut?:confused:
Every evening. The tour we were on had made arrangements to let us in after closing and to allow us full access to the site. The only people there were our group, about five soldiers roaming the grounds, and an archeologist.

Every evening. The tour we were on had made arrangements to let us in after closing and to allow us full access to the site. The only people there were our group, about five soldiers roaming the grounds, and an archeologist.

That was a great arrangement. Visitors during prescribed opening hours are not able to get close and personal with the stones. Except of course for the Summer Solstice when open access is allowed for the 20000 +celebrants for a few hours. Not my idea of a mystical experience:( Did you find your visit uplifting?

Edited by MARIANH

Early evening is a good time to visit, and it makes sense if the ship docked at Southampton.

Early evening is a good time to visit, and it makes sense if the ship docked at Southampton.

And it also leaves time for some Pub Grub and a pint ( or two) in an historic hostelry. Stones bitter would be a good choice; but beware it is all too easy to get stoned. Appropriate really:rolleyes:

And it also leaves time for some Pub Grub and a pint ( or two) in an historic hostelry. Stones bitter would be a good choice; but beware it is all too easy to get stoned. Appropriate really:rolleyes:

Pubs are one of the things that still might blighty really special. I once managed to devise a really good business idea with a friend that had us out drinking in pubs every evening and earning some cash whilst we did it. Those were the days .... :) I prefer to be called an opportunist rather than entrepreneur. So much more accurate .... ;)

Wiltshire and Hampshire have some wonderful pubs.

We ought to arrange some pub crawls for visiting SS ships. I bet some passengers would love that?

We were on a pre cruise stay in London. It sounds like we were all over your part of England, in addition to Stonehenge, we visited Bath, saw some chalk horses on the hillsides, ate at the Stonehenge Inn (not the best), and saw field upon field of rapeseed.

That was a great arrangement. Visitors during prescribed opening hours are not able to get close and personal with the stones. Except of course for the Summer Solstice when open access is allowed for the 20000 +celebrants for a few hours. Not my idea of a mystical experience:( Did you find your visit uplifting?
Not too uplifting, my wife followed the rules and didn't touch any stones.

Not too uplifting, my wife followed the rules and didn't touch any stones.

Quite right .....:D

We were on a pre cruise stay in London. It sounds like we were all over your part of England, in addition to Stonehenge, we visited Bath, saw some chalk horses on the hillsides, ate at the Stonehenge Inn (not the best), and saw field upon field of rapeseed.

Next time you're here ... I'm a Londoner through and through although now an alien and decamped into the greenery of Jerusalem land .....

And did those feet in ancient time

Walk upon england's mountains green?

And was the holy lamb of god

On england's pleasant pastures seen?

And did the countenance divine

Shine forth upon our clouded hills?

And was jerusalem builded here

Among those dark satanic mills?

.... .... and I love quirky stuff and anything that tantalises the inquisitive and fun muscles ... so I'm happy to offer any help or suggestions you think you might like on any future visits.

Me and my mates will be here at the cooler to assist.:)

I know. La Terrazza Fantasy Table Competion!!

The only thing left is to extend the invitations.

But who to invite?

Entries are now open. Very much open to all ......

:)

Thought long and hard about this and then my DW announces that she will not be available. So simple.

My guests will be:

Marilyn Monroe

Marilyn Monroe

Marilyn Monroe

Marilyn Monroe

Marilyn Monroe

Marilyn Monroe

Marilyn Monroe

Marilyn Monroe

Oh, and forget dinner;)

Edited by MARIANH

Quite right .....:D

Next time you're here ... I'm a Londoner through and through although now an alien and decamped into the greenery of Jerusalem land .....

.... .... and I love quirky stuff and anything that tantalises the inquisitive and fun muscles ... so I'm happy to offer any help or suggestions you think you might like on any future visits.

Me and my mates will be here at the cooler to assist.:)

Thanks. I would definitely like to get back to London someday. We saw a lot in our three days there but missed even more, particularly night life. About all we saw of that was the pub behind the hotel.

Thanks. I would definitely like to get back to London someday. We saw a lot in our three days there but missed even more, particularly night life. About all we saw of that was the pub behind the hotel.

That's sad you didn't see and do more. Perhaps on your next visit, and perhaps LONGER!:)

As a Londoner, London has grown more and more on me, the more I've traveled and have more reference points I have.

Which pub was behind your hotel?

Reading the recent simple but elegantly effective response that Regent made in response to their adverse inspection and how simple and effective that response was compared to the inept, amateurish and disrespectful response that SS gave to customers does rather seem to me to add to a number of downward converging trends.

5 years ago a customer posting adversely about a negative experience on SS was rare. Today, it seems so much more common.

Additionally, simple things seem to present SS with silly self-made obstacles.

The inspections response. Promising and not fullfiling OBCs. Not being able to register suite preferences. Refusing to deal directy with their own customers but rebuffing them to the agents. Reducing food quality. Cutting fresh food. Cutting Chef independence. Centalised menu prescription. Contract rather than direct employment. The clear direction of attempting to see the travel agent as the customer and not the passenger. Attempting to penalise agents who attempt to rebate. etc etc

Most sensible customer orientated and dependent organisations seek ways of getting ever closer to their customers. My perception is that SS seem to me to be hurtling in the opposite direction. Why on earth do they see this as being a better strategy for the long term of their business?

:confused:

Thanks Embtbsam .... sorry to be thick ... which "she" and which "kids"?

For those who miss the food pics of Singapore and who doesn't currently "ignore" me ... here are todays marinades!

#1 Jerky Chicken

#2 Chicken in fresh Thyme and Lemon and Honey

sy6y7eru.jpg

ps the food is stored in the fridge and will not go any where near the underneath of my bunk.

:)