Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Hi Jeff,

Don't have Amex, but do have Ritz Rewards card.

We tend to stay on Club Level in the Ritz. We like Four Seasons too.

Neither myself or my Husband travel for business only leisure.

Which Deluxe Hotels would you recommend ? We will also be taking our kids

Currently 10 & 14. ( they behave very well in a Club Lounge😉).

Thanks

Sakaara

Hi,

To be honest you can't go wrong with any of the properties in Singapore. The rates are sadly high but once your here everything is really easy and inexpensive except alcohol. We love the IC and that stops us trying elsewhere. We're in the lounge now for Happy Hour and they serve premium drinks and snacks that will do if you don't feel like going out.

However, If all your travel is leisure then I'd also suggest you identify a group that is the places you visit and secure decent status with them.

As an example, in our case we go to Vienna a few times a year, Singapore twice for extended stays, The Carlton in Cannes a couple of times a year etc. Also as we are Londoners who escaped - we use the IC Park Lane for several visits each year.

I was lucky enough to make Royal Ambassador level some time ago and on some years wasn't able to but as I had referred many others during my time they referred me back so we have it this year. Some people sell their referral certificates on ebay ( you need be very careful) and trade them on FlyerTalk. I would only give them away and wanted to cultivate that approach on FT hence this year we have it for free from a person I never met.

This means exceptional treatment at many properties for example we stayed at Carlton Cannes on Palm D'or night and had the full upgrade treatment to a large sea view suite with a couple of mini- bars ( RAs have free mini bar) champagne in our suite etc - literally very well known film people we're pushed out of the way when we arrived in our limmo.

So if your travel is all non-expense account leisure I'd say choose a scheme that fits your normal travel places etc and make that your starting point. Everything else follows unless of course your pocket is so deep that one of these issues matter.

Does that help?

That's a great help Jeff thanks. We have stayed at IC Park Lane and enjoyed their Club experience. That's great advice for the Carlton too, as we love Cannes but have stayed in The Martinez previously.

Any advice on HongKong or is it the same as Singapore, The IC?

We aren't travelling to Asia for a year or so, lots of time to prepare.

Our miles are with Virgin and we are in Florida for New Year so HongKong will be our base into Asia.

Hilton has never been a first choice but the new Hilton Algarve is lovely, so we are accumulating points from there too.

Enjoy tonight, and look forward to your next instalment !

That's a great help Jeff thanks. We have stayed at IC Park Lane and enjoyed their Club experience. That's great advice for the Carlton too, as we love Cannes but have stayed in The Martinez previously.

Any advice on HongKong or is it the same as Singapore, The IC?

We aren't travelling to Asia for a year or so, lots of time to prepare.

Our miles are with Virgin and we are in Florida for New Year so HongKong will be our base into Asia.

Hilton has never been a first choice but the new Hilton Algarve is lovely, so we are accumulating points from there too.

Enjoy tonight, and look forward to your next instalment !

Thanks Sakaara,

As you have a planning horizon - and leisure travel is a long game .... then I'd say start with that long game. Mine happened by chance and now I'm pretty locked into IC although a few weeks ago - you mention Hilton - we had an wonderful experience in Dubrovnik at the Imperial due to Amex Plat secured status. Booked the cheapest room and secured a guarantee of their best suite. As it happens the flight with BA in club was problematic and the miles they rebated meant in essence the trip was either very cheap or even less.

The other key thing I'd say, is if you are a repeat visitor to some properties - and even if you are not - develop a relationship with individual people in the properties you visit.

A bit of soap box and self-interest. I'm tired of observing disrespectful people who fail to notice junior people that look after them as though they were invisible. People seem to have learned how to complain, but not say thank you. I am a sad and prolific writer of thank you notes and emails etc. But they are pointless unless the boss knows. So I routinely write notes to hotel GMs wishing to thank named people in their staff who made our stays wonderful. The importance of notes from customers on peoples careers cannot be over emphasised. Particularly status regular customers.

The number of thank you notes in relation to complains is possibly 50 to 1. You will be amazed at how you are treated when you next visit.

I can go on, but the lesson was actually replayed to me by a reservations manager at one of the properties we regularly visited. I asked why I always got such wonderful upgrades. Her reply was " exceptional customers get exceptional service" a secret many customers do not seem to get.

The combination of good status, excellent contact with individuals who "love and know" you can smooth your experience.

I hope all this waffle makes some sense and is helpful.

Jeff - your man on the frontline reporting back.

:).

I absolutely agree with you Jeff.

I have also done similar thank you's by reviews on Trip Advisor and sent a copy of my review to the G.Manager.

This has made a big difference to our arrivals at hotels.

Thanks again.

Sakaara

Jeff,the fish balls are what the staff at my local chinese restaurant eat before they open.

They won't eat all that Chinglish stuff that's sold to the punters.

Do you ever eat in the IC or would that just be a waste of money.

Hello my dear.

Brekkies. Just Brekkies. Guess what they had on the brekkies buffet this morning. Apart from all the normal European and Asian stuff .... Chicken Curry Rice Naan Congee ..... Laksa .. oh everything.

Just Brekkies

I absolutely agree with you Jeff.

I have also done similar thank you's by reviews on Trip Advisor and sent a copy of my review to the G.Manager.

This has made a big difference to our arrivals at hotels.

Thanks again.

Sakaara

Hi Sakaara,

You and I know you're intentions were absolutely pure. I'd just suggest you think of this from the GM point of view.

He might ( just might ......:) ) interpret such a contact -with a link to a TripAdvisor post - and they get many - as a note from someone flagrantly seeking a quid pro quo for better treatment during their next visit and ... the hint (or threat) that if not they can equally post a negative response if they don't. Actually I happen to know that many interpret it that way.

I don't think that this was what was intended just suggesting it is different entirely from the unexpected person to person note about exceptional service from individuals.

Jeff

Edited by UKCruiseJeff
ipaditis.

Hi Sakaara,

You and I know you're intentions were absolutely pure. I'd just suggest you think of this from the GM point of view.

He might ( just might ......:) ) interpret such a contact -with a link to a TripAdvisor post - and they get many - as a note from someone flagrantly seeking a quid pro quo for better treatment during their next visit and ... the hint (or threat) that if not they can equally post a negative response if they don't. Actually I happen to know that many interpret it that way.

I don't think that this was what was intended just suggesting it is different entirely from the unexpected person to person note about exceptional service from individuals.

Jeff

I agree Jeff,best avoided.

You can't beat a personal hand written letter or a face to face with the GM.

Hello my dear.

Brekkies. Just Brekkies. Guess what they had on the brekkies buffet this morning. Apart from all the normal European and Asian stuff .... Chicken Curry Rice Naan Congee ..... Laksa .. oh everything.

Just Brekkies

Did you partake.:eek:

Can you get boiled egg and soldiers

and Marmite toast

Edited by Mr Luxury

Question: How is it possible to be off topic on a thread devoted to off topic subjects? Just wondering.

Good morning all!

Sad I know, but I was thinking about your post and question and thought I'd have a go.

In a way " watercooler" is probably not the best description, but simply followed precedent elsewhere. What may have been better is "dining table" because I see the thread as being a bit like a table in the main restaurant where people choose to sit together or join at random and who simply chat. What is in common is that they are all SSers by custom or intent and at table pretty much anything and everything can be discussed the common theme only being the diners affinity with SS. So I see anything as being game as long as it is compliant with guidelines and the only people not welcome is uncongenial company.

I also predict they'll be periods where there's nothing happening or posted and I don't think that's an issue. People and topics will come and go.

Does that do - do you thinK?

Did you partake.:eek:

Can you get boiled egg and soldiers

and Marmite toast

There is marmite down there and toast is diy. And I did try the curry just to see and it was really good although seems odd for brekkies.

Just up from brekkies. Just the standard stuff today ..... just the bacon egg and hash browns with English Breakfast and toast.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

... Just the standard stuff today ..... just the bacon egg and hash browns with English Breakfast and toast.

I'll bite (actually, wouldn't mind a bite or two) but what does English Breakfast mean in this sentence? Beans and tomatoes?

I thought that an English breakfast consisted of beans, mushrooms, eggs, bacon (not the American kind), sausage and toast (not positive about the toast).

I know what an English Breakfast usually but when you begin with eggs bacon potatoes, and toast and ADD the EB- that is where I got confused.

We sometimes distinguish an "English Breakfast" from a "full English Breakfast".

A full English breakfast will include all or some of the following. Bacon, sausages, eggs normally fried, hash browns or sauteed although I make a grosti, beans, tomatoes, mushrooms, black pudding, and fried bread, toast with tea. An English breakfast might be all or just bacon and eggs - or so,somewhere in between.

Every few weeks I might make the fullEnglish Breakfast for Sunday lunch as it's difficult to eat much more that day and it isn't something we eat often.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

....... just to clarify my earlier post .. when I referred to what I had eaten today I saidEnglish Breakfast. This referred to the Tea! Normally Twinings.

Ah- EB Tea. That clarifies things. Now I understand.

By the by- loving the pictures. And the stories. Don't stop- keep us up to date. But-----no pictures of breakfast!

Hi Jeff,

Don't have Amex, but do have Ritz Rewards card.

We tend to stay on Club Level in the Ritz. We like Four Seasons too.

Neither myself or my Husband travel for business only leisure.

Which Deluxe Hotels would you recommend ? We will also be taking our kids

Currently 10 & 14. ( they behave very well in a Club Lounge😉).

Thanks

Sakaara

I hope you don't mind me jumping in with some thoughts re hotels. We have stayed at the Ritz Carlton, Fairmont and Fullerton over the last few years. All three were great.

As you have children the Ritz Carlton...good room size and bathrooms with a view.... and Fairmont....modern, larger rooms, undercover access to shopping malls .... are probably best in the hotels we have stayed in.

The Fullerton is wonderful for couples and has a wonderful historic feel but the rooms are smaller as it is the old converted Post office. Having said that they were fine for us. I would always choose this hotel if it is just my husband and myself.

One other thing that I would recommend visiting is the Asian Civilisation Museum. It is in a lovely old building near the Fullerton and it might not be like some modern ones with interactive gizmos but the range of artefacts and the history was quite amazing. It also highlights how multicultural Singapore truly is.

Julie

Hi Frantic36/ Julie,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it.

I will certainly check out recommended hotels and Museum.

I haven't heard of The Fullerton before, so thanks for that!

Regards

Sakaara