Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

I have found that the ignore feature has worked quite well lately. Go to "User CP" at the top left of the screen and click. On the left hand side, you will see a banner that is titled "User Control Panel". In the "Settings and Options" section click on "edit ignore list." Then add the user names of those you wish to ignore. This way, if you are curious about something interesting that might come up on this thread, you will see all the posts except the posts of those on your ignore list.

Great idea. Thanks.

Please don't move this thread. It's fun and has been said, if you don't want to read, then don't but please let those of us that do want to 'indulge', do so.

Thanks.

I agree. Habitués of the Seabourn Board have found the "Water"Cooler" thread a useful and enjoyable vehicle for fun topics and communication with others. As a home for discussing" off topic" matters it has the potential to de clutter other threads that otherwise can diverge from the topic in hand.

There is no reason why it should not add value to the Silversea Board(IMHO).

And of course, as with all other posts/ threads if you don't like them don't read them.

Or of course, as suggested install a list of undesirable posters. In this way one can have the comfort of knowing one will only see posters who share the same views ,mores, preferences and prejudices as oneself. An exclusive Club. But one that will not benefit from the rich diversity of opinions that make CruiseCritic such a valuable treasure trove of information.

And please let us not forget , as HostDan has said, the intention is the thread should be fun. Anyone who lacks a fun gene or who finds difficulty in understanding the references and does not enjoy attempts at linguistic gymnastics can remove this thread from their reading list.

And "Fools and Horses" is worth a watch ( on TV) if you wish to understand the cockney argot. Translations available on request.

Anyone for fun?

PS Mr Jeff - it's safe to come out of hiding now.

Edited by MARIANH

Hi Marianh, V8Babe and any other remaining congenials hanging on in there!

No … not in hiding at all, just simply like you not bothered if we are unable to form a thread of congenials - from anywhere - who like to chat have fun and learn a bit about each others cultures.

We're coming to the last day or so of our Singapore fling. It's been a great trip and break from Hampshire and Devon etc. Yesterday pretty much like many days …..

We headed off early into Botanic Gardens as the forecast said storms and we loved to see all the early morning group exercises and Tai Chi who all invariably stopped to ask us about our visit. Such an inquisitive and interested and hospitable people. We then went on to see the preperarions for F1 in a few weeks and had a look at the starting area and pit lanes.

u7evezem.jpg

hyba9yte.jpg

In the evening we went off to the Merlion to watch the laser light show at Marina Bay ...

agy4esa3.jpg

..... and then off to Satay Street at Lau Pa Sat for 40 mixed satay and a jug of Tiger beer.

ubyhebup.jpg

pagury3e.jpg

abytesep.jpg

As soon as we sat down we were targeted by a tissue seller and I was a bit brusque and rude to him and brushed him away and then there was another. I sort of felt a bit guilty about it. I always genuinely feel “there but for the grace of nature ...” and felt really bad and remorseful the more I thought about it. No excuse for rudeness, so I waited until they all came round again and bought 3 packs off of each ($S1!) and by the end of the evening we looked real pair of idiots with the table covered with packs of tissue.

This trip has been great … so much learned .. so many lovely people met. Some of the highlights were spending time with some Muslims at Eid ie celebrating the end of Ramadam. We'd been invited to join a family for their meal – so hospitable. We,re all cemented together by a desire for a “good life”.

We've also had a chance to join in some of the Hungry Ghost festivities which I'd built our visit dates around. Basically this is a serious festival where the ancestors are cheered up by a number of events – normally traditional Chinese music. The front row is kept clear – it is a tremendous faux pas to sit in the front row – and the whole performance is aimed at the empty front row. Food is provided to the hungry ghosts and fake money burned for their other needs. Sadly visitors haven't always been welcome because they haven't always understood it isn't a sort of Halloween and is a serious religious festival. So details of the events are normally in Chinese. There are a lot of beliefs and rituals attached to these beliefs - google will show up some for anyone interested. Lately there’s been a bit of a hoo hah when some of the younger female performers have been wearing revealing outfits and they have been told in no uncertain terms that the ancestors wouldn't approve and they should cover themselves up! Even the hotel lounge staff had been tasked with keeping their eyes out for any stage structures going up for us and we found ourselves tonight in the suburbs having missed this festival which was the previous night and they were in fact dismantling it. Doh … . But it was great wandering around the area seeing how the locals live.

A day or so ago it was the 15th day of the 7th lunar month for the Chinese which is a special prayer day which we were able to quietly observe, only marred by some fellow visitors taking photographs and making a nuisance of themselves and being disrespectful. Part of their procedure is to buy a tin of fortune sticks which tells them their fortune.

Anyway I genuinely hope that those that wish to form a pack to trash leave the thread alone or even better become a member of the Grand Order of SS Congenials and exchange some thoughts, banter and fun. All are welcome and it would be wonderful if even the grumpiest could find a bit of a fellowship and fun gene.

I'm using the new tappawallah so apologies for any issues.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I have been away and busy but just back to catch up with the thread.

Thanks for the Asian Civilisation photos Jeff.....it did bring back memories.

As Silversea goes to Singapore I think your posts and photos will be useful to people who might stay in Singapore pre or post a cruise.

Your conversations between you and MarianH are very funny and make me laugh but I could never keep up so I just read and enjoy. Mr L is not chatting at the moment because he and Mrs L are floating around on the Med in the lap of luxury.

Cheers

Julie

By the way it is also convincing me that with such interesting people that travel on board...... as well as generally good things I have heard about Silversea.....it is still on my radar for I cruise line to try.

Edited by frantic36

Hi Julie, thanks for your post .... so pleased you enjoyed the Singapore updates .... it's been a great stay. Particularly during their 48th Birthday!

I think the language exchanges may have been misinterpreted a little by some ... perhaps understandably. It was never intended to exclude. In fact the fun was seeing how far we could go with "sarf london pattois" to make it tough for each other to understand without completely defeating each other! So we were seeing how far it's possible to go before you can't understand a thing if you get my drift. And I so love "language" so it's lovely to contort and abuse language with some fellow sufferers.

Then there is the whole issue of simple "banter". At one end are cultures like the Germans who seem not to have any .. and I 'd put Australians at the other end. It's clear to me that banter in Australia is a fairly instant tool to decide whether people are going to be "your mate" or whether you are "up your own a**e!" Australians will "take the mick" and the way your respond defines whether you make friends or not. And Ozzy friends become proper mates.

I remember my first seeing Ozzy banter on my very first visit to a Sydney "hotel" ie pub. Chap walks in with a very flowery loud shirt and silly shorts and big boots. "Up for the day from the country are you mate!" was his greeting from the barman!

Jeff

:)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I have found that the ignore feature has worked quite well lately. Go to "User CP" at the top left of the screen and click. On the left hand side, you will see a banner that is titled "User Control Panel". In the "Settings and Options" section click on "edit ignore list." Then add the user names of those you wish to ignore. This way, if you are curious about something interesting that might come up on this thread, you will see all the posts except the posts of those on your ignore list.

Thank you very much for posting this function Herman The Cat. I was completely unaware of it, but having enabled it in a limited way can see how beneficial it can be - thanks.

It is an electronic forum version of the British idiom 'to send someone to Coventry'

Thank you very much for posting this function Herman The Cat. I was completely unaware of it, but having enabled it in a limited way can see how beneficial it can be - thanks.

It is an electronic forum version of the British idiom 'to send someone to Coventry'

We are here to serve. Really pleased you found the thread useful.

:D

on this thread which has no bounds.

Admit I got very lost in the patois of some of those who posted, and need a rosetta stone course to learn/translate.

Nevertheless it seemed that you all were enjoying the banter.

Great idea .... credit card number ready .....:D

You may wish to have a care with your choice of candidates for banishing to the Gulag. By excluding the untouchables, you ( as a Newbie to CC) may miss some of the skilled crafted workmanship that makes CC such a rich tapestry.

There is the possibility of course that you will not read this.

Oh, and did you know that Coventry was twinned with Stalingrad?

Edited by MARIANH

You may wish to have a care with your choice of candidates for banishing to the Gulag. By excluding the untouchables, you ( as a Newbie to CC) may miss some of the skilled crafted workmanship that makes CC such a rich tapestry.

There is the possibility of course that you will not read this.

Oh, and did you know that Coventry was twinned with Stalingrad?

... and did you know that the 'send to Coventry' saying is accepted by some to come from the English Civil War in the 1640's, three hundred years before the naming of the Russian city you mention ? (I didn't until 10 minutes ago !" :))

Oh dear - I'm waffling about non cruise nonsense - i'll get my coat !

... and did you know that the 'send to Coventry' saying is accepted by some to come from the English Civil War in the 1640's, three hundred years before the naming of the Russian city you mention ? (I didn't until 10 minutes ago !" :))

Oh dear - I'm waffling about non cruise nonsense - i'll get my coat !

Excellent, just what this thread is for. A bit of information and a bit of fun. And it does not necessarily have to be cruise related. Also great for trivia addicts in preparation for the ever popular blood sport, sorry trivia quizzes,that feature on some cruises.

No need for a coat today here darn Sarth.

Could it be that you live in Coventry ( or Stalingrad)?

Excellent, just what this thread is for. A bit of information and a bit of fun. And it does not necessarily have to be cruise related. Also great for trivia addicts in preparation for the ever popular blood sport, sorry trivia quizzes,that feature on some cruises.

No need for a coat today here darn Sarth.

Could it be that you live in Coventry ( or Stalingrad)?

Cor Blimey Marmalade,

go to the bar for a mo to get meself a Guinness and come back and find your chattin' up an old round 'ed geezer from Coventry!

Jeff

;)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Cor Blimey Marmalade,

go to the bar for a mo to get meself a Guinness and come back and find your chattin' up an old round 'ed geezer from Coventry!

Jeff

;)

Yes, I did think it was Cavalier. But I wanted to be Civil and avoid a War.

Edited by MARIANH

Hi Marianh, V8Babe and any other remaining congenials hanging on in there!

We then went on to see the preperarions for F1 in a few weeks and had a look at the starting area and pit lanes.

u7evezem.jpg

hyba9yte.jpg

Very nice picture thanks !!!

Another F1 race thats on my Bucket list :)

Very nice picture thanks !!!

Another F1 race thats on my Bucket list :)

Thanks. A fellow petrol-head!

I've some great behind the scenes pics I can post when I get back to base for the night before F1 in Monaco including the pit lane with cars arriving, the crews eating together etc. I promised the wife I'd get us access to walk the track during the previous evening. It was a memorable night that she often talks about.

I too, love motor racing. Jeff, thanks for the pics. Hope you're enjoying your holiday, sorry it's coming to an end, your photos have been great.

Are you heading back to England or continuing elsewhere? My Jeff and I are heading your way in September, can't wait. Been a year since I was there so looking forward to the shopping!

Karin

I too, love motor racing. Jeff, thanks for the pics. Hope you're enjoying your holiday, sorry it's coming to an end, your photos have been great.

Are you heading back to England or continuing elsewhere? My Jeff and I are heading your way in September, can't wait. Been a year since I was there so looking forward to the shopping!

Karin

How lovely of you Karin, so pleased you liked the pics. I'd love to hear about the roar of your V8! I also have 8 .....:p

I see you have a proper man from the renowned "Jeff" factory - not from the "knock-off" Geoff place! Hope he is satisfactory and your not considering a " trade-in"!

Re our next port of calls ..... Yes - sadly we are booked in and flying back tonight so it's several gallons of LPGS ... and sadly as I only sleep at home for 3 to 4 hours then it's 13 hours of torture on the flight. Still - one mustn't complain!

Then we have nearly three weeks at Hampshire, then 4 nights in Vienna then a bit more time in Hampshire, then down to Devon for some last of the late summer .. Autumn sun overlooking the beach with a fair amount of grilled fish ... and then back to Hampshire then on to Vienna for 4 nights for Christmas markets which is largely us lurching pointlessly from punch stall to punch stall having an erdbeeren punch mit schluss and some maroni for breakfast etc ... then Christmas and New Year at home ..... then back to ... guess where ....SINGAPORE for another 14 nights or so in January ....

Someone - sadly - has to do it!

I guess I might bore you with a picture of a punch or nut or schnitzel or two much to the upset of some I'm sure......;)

What about your travels? I guess you have to travel a fair amount before you reach anywhere?

Marleen,

Don' tuch dose bleedin' autos. Go for manuel. Avoid the '62 or earlier.

Shoofty.

:D

Not difficult, didn't emerge until '75. Unless you are referencing the Fawlty Spanish version.

Did once have a '66 VX 4/90. In lovely BRG with light green stripe and decorative rust.

Arfa says " Wanna buy a mota?". Daily bargains.

Wow, how do you keep up with all your travels? ;)

Yes, I have a 'proper' Jeff too.

You're right, we do have a long way to travel to get anywhere. Usually we go overseas once or twice a year and fortunately travel Business Class but don't get much sleep on the plane. (Makes the cost of a cruise even more expensive when you add in airfare.)

Do hope you post photos from your upcoming journeys.

Safe travels home.

Karin