Temperatures on the ship

vent1020

This is kind of a unique question as I could not find the answer during a search of the boards.(I'm sure it's there somewhere, I just couldn't find it)

We doing the "West Coast Getaway" aboard the Golden this November. I have researched the temperatures at Catalina and Ensenada and found the average highs around 70 degrees and the average lows around 55. Probably around these same temperatures throughout the whole cruise.

My experience on boats(small fishing boats) is that even if the temperature is say 70 degrees, being on the boat as it is moving makes it seem colder with the wind and all.

Is this what it is like on big ships? Will it actually feel colder on the ship(while the ship is moving) then the ACTUAL temperature outside?

Thanks.

That depends on where you are. Our last cruise was a 17 day repositioning cruise from Vancouver in Sept. Vancouver was spectacular-in the mid 70's and sunny. The next morning, it was in the 60's and foggy. It was cooler but out on the promenade deck it didn't feel a lot colder than that.

But by the time we got down by Costa Rica, it was in the high 70's and even with a 35 knot wind, it did not feel cold.

As for your trip. expect it to feel like whatever the temp is. In the mornings, it will feel cool. Later in the day, it will warm up-it's as simple as that.

That depends on where you are. Our last cruise was a 17 day repositioning cruise from Vancouver in Sept. Vancouver was spectacular-in the mid 70's and sunny. The next morning, it was in the 60's and foggy. It was cooler but out on the promenade deck it didn't feel a lot colder than that.

But by the time we got down by Costa Rica, it was in the high 70's and even with a 35 knot wind, it did not feel cold.

As for your trip. expect it to feel like whatever the temp is. In the mornings, it will feel cool. Later in the day, it will warm up-it's as simple as that.

So, the moving boat DOESN'T affect the feel of the ACTUAL temperature?

So, the moving boat DOESN'T affect the feel of the ACTUAL temperature?

Not really. The so-called "wind chill factor" only kicks in at lower temps., like under 50° or so, and it shouldn't be any less than that on your cruise. And on cruise ships, even the open decks are pretty well protected from the wind.

Not really. The so-called "wind chill factor" only kicks in at lower temps., like under 50° or so, and it shouldn't be any less than that on your cruise. And on cruise ships, even the open decks are pretty well protected from the wind.

Thanks!!!

Is this what it is like on big ships? Will it actually feel colder on the ship(while the ship is moving) then the ACTUAL temperature outside?

Thanks.

If the ship is moving, the air and wind are going over the much cooler ocean. Yes, it will feel cooler than the actual air temp. And on top of that some spots on your ship will be much windier and cooler feeling than others, depending on the design of the ship.

Even on Carib cruises, many ladies carry a shawl or sweater for standing on outside decks in the evenings. If I were on your cruise, I'd sure pack a sweater or med. weight shawl if you plan on standing on the upper decks. You are cruising in November!

To add to the info, remember the ship's public rooms ( just like restaurants at home) can be kept a little cooler than you might be used to, too.;)

I would say everyone that has responded is correct.

Just to be on the safe side, if a man, bring a jacket or sweater, if woman, bring a shawl, sweater, jacket, long dress or long pants.

In the dining room while eating, it can get chilly.:(

We doing the "West Coast Getaway" aboard the Golden this November. I have researched the temperatures at Catalina and Ensenada and found the average highs around 70 degrees and the average lows around 55. Probably around these same temperatures throughout the whole cruise.
It'll be chilly outside. The California Current is a fast-moving current that flows from the Gulf of Alaska to Baja California. The water is very cold. Even at this time of the year, it keeps the daytime temps on the coast to the mid-70's during the day, upper 50's to low 60's at night. It usually doesn't warm up here until mid-morning when the marine layer is burned off and the sun comes out. It'll be even cooler in November.

Since your cruise isn't going very far south, you'll still be in the California Current. It'll be chilly on your balcony with the ship moving, warmer around the pool which is more protected. Temps inside the ship will be warm to cool. If you're the first one in the dining room or theater, you might need a shawl or light covering.

Here is the next week's temps in Laguna Beach on the coast. In November, temps will be a bit cooler.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376082371.188063.jpg.b13a1004d81ec5c87da32f0f818f6c29.jpg

I think it wise to bring a light cover-up of some type. As mentioned it can be chillier inside as well, wither at dinner or watching a show, etc. I have never felt the chill too much on the promenade deck if it is not windy, windy yes. Something light will allow you to be prepared without packing something bulky.

This is kind of a unique question as I could not find the answer during a search of the boards.(I'm sure it's there somewhere, I just couldn't find it)

My experience on boats(small fishing boats) is that even if the temperature is say 70 degrees, being on the boat as it is moving makes it seem colder with the wind and all.

Thanks.

on our small family fishing boat, even on a day when it was in the high '80s, sometimes even two hoodies wouldn't be enough to keep me warm on the boat at night.

But, on the cruise ship out of Los Angeles, I found Pam's answer to be very close to our experience.

We were warm on land - high '70s, and I needed a jacket walking around the deck at night, while on cruises in the Caribbean never had that problem.

Archived