Paid Upgrade at the Dock - Inside concerns

mousecrazy

Hi. I've been lurking for a while and know you will be able to answer my questions. My 83 yo dad and I (30 something) are sailing on the Oosterdam to Alaska in September. My mom passed away almost one year ago, and they never got to go on this cruise. So, I'm going with him! :) He was told it wasn't worth the extra cost of an outside, so he booked at Cat K. Based on the opinions here, I'm thinking he got some not so good advice. Looks like this sailing is sold out, is there any chance of getting a paid upgrade at the dock? Also, I would be interested in others opinions of the inside cabins on the 'O' (specifically Upper Verandah Forward)...will we be stepping on each other? Any other advice or words of wisdom from other kids who have left their families at home to travel with their parents?

Thanks. Lisa

HI,

Sounds like a great idea for you and your Dad to go on this long awaited cruise with each other. An outside cabin would be more comfortable for sure. I would suggest contacting the travel agent right away and get you on a wait list for an outside now. Do not wait around until sailing day asking at the pier. Many changes can and will happen between now and sailing and better to have yourself on a wait list. The space on the inside cabin ( if that is where you end up will be fine). You can not change that now so I would not start to become concerned now that you have no room in the cabin etc. You both will not be spending huge amounts of time in the cabin. Good luck- and nice that you are doing this with your dad!

Definitely try to get an outside cabin for Alaska, where scenery's the big attraction.

As reported above, there can be a lot of changes between now and September.

DO NOT wait until you're at the dock to try for an upgrade - chances are it'll be too lake and, if available, possibly cost you more. Get your request in today. Tell your TA how important this cruise is to you and your dad.

And if you can justify it, try for a balcony. It's great to be able to step outside your cabin to see the glaciers and wildlife. That would be particularly convenient for your dad.

Good luck and have a wonderful cruise.

I had a category K on the Zuiderdam (sister ship of the Oosterdam) and space wise, the room was bigger than the VB cabin I had a couple of weeks ago. We were on the main deck (1113) and this room was huge compared to the VB cabin. Looking at the deck plan for yours, it doesn't look like one of the larger rooms. If they don't have upgrades available, perhaps they could move you to a category K on the main deck...although it was under the main dining room, the room was very quiet.

My sister travels with my mom and they always book an inside room. LAst year they sailed on the Oosterdam [Western Caribbean].

They find that they have no problem with the size of the cabin.

So if you have no alternative, at least know that it's not an impossibly tight space!

I just got off the Ryndam, where I had an inside room the second week. If that is all you can get, it will still be a great trip. HAL ships have GREAT public areas for viewing the passing scenery. You can go to the Crows Nest, Ocean Bar, Explorer's Lounge, Library, etc. Eat breakfast and lunch in the dining room near a window. You will love the trip regardless!

Went to Alaska on the ryndam and had an inside cabin. We found that most passengers were out of their cabins most of the time so as to see both sides as the views are often very different, from one side having ice floating with penquins on it, with the other side having a view of a glacier. We always book inside as we are in our room so little, we would rather spend more on tours. Have booked on outside before, and decided never again.

We have done most all cabins on HAL, and the K inside is a great value and we have always been able to have something mid ship low which is great in high seas. While in an S suite and hearing all the noise from the Lido Deck above at 1 am, I longed for my good old quiet K on the Main Deck.

Gary

Went to Alaska on the ryndam ...one side having ice floating with penquins on it

Penguins? In Alaska? Seals, sure. The mommas have their babies on the ice.

But penguins? I think not.

I much prefer the inside because of the lovely large shower. We now take a suite but it is so much harder to get over the side of the tub to shower than the inside showers because our knees are getting worse by the day. As someone has mentioned, for Alaska and northern Europe, it is much easier to sleep in an inside cabin. In the Fjords of N Europe we had BRIGHT sun at 2 a.m. and impossible to sleep. I would prefer an inside cabin anyday except when we can splurge on a suite. Have fun!!!

I much prefer the inside because of the lovely large shower. We now take a suite but it is so much harder to get over the side of the tub to shower than the inside showers because our knees are getting worse by the day. As someone has mentioned, for Alaska and northern Europe, it is much easier to sleep in an inside cabin. In the Fjords of N Europe we had BRIGHT sun at 2 a.m. and impossible to sleep. I would prefer an inside cabin anyday except when we can splurge on a suite. Have fun!!!

The S suites in Vista class ships have tubs AND separate shower stalls. I think the Vista SS suites also have the same bathroom facilities.

Archived