Car rental and also Ryer's Lobster

For those of you who have rented a car in Halifax, NS before...

how did you figure out what time to rent the car? Were you early or late for the pickup and if so any issues? We are in Halifax from 9:00 on. I don't know what time we will be off the ship so how do I figure out what time to start the rental?

Does our US insurance cover us in Canada?

Do we just pay by credit card and they convert it to US dollars for when we get our bill?

Is it easy or hard to find parking in Peggy's Cove so we can walk around?

Now for Ryer's Lobster... I have read that they crack the shell for you. Does that mean that all you need is a fork to pull the meat out? My dh doesn't like to fuss with the shells so he never eats lobster. Many years ago he did when it was in a casserole with some stuffing on top. Me... I don't mind the shell at all.

thanks.

I can't help you with the car rental timing. It depends upon your ship and their policies. I would tell the rental people when you are docking and say you will get off as soon as you can and see what they say.

As for Ryers, I have not eaten their either (I get to buy lobster from local fishermen and cook it at home.) They will crack it open so you should be able to get at the meat, most likely with fingers or a small pick. I have never used a fork. If your husband is fussy you may have to help him (or eat it all yourself!) This is a no frills place.

I would not dream of giving insurance advice. Ask your agent. I know some policies cover rentals and some do not.

1. timing of rental car - disembark as early as possible, and go straight to rental agency. The most convenient location in Via train station gets overwhelmed easily by cruise pax. P/U and drop off location at the train station is ultra convenient. In your case, I'd state p/u time at 9am.

2. CC will be charged and converted to US amount. Most CC company will have a surcharge (around 1%) for foreign exchange. That maybe ok, b/c supposedly the cardholder gets a favorable exchange rate.

3. in my June trip, no problem with parking at Peggy's cove.

4. Ryer's lobster are prepared so you could just eat with your hands, no shell cracker needed. While Ryer's has a very basic set up/cooking style, it provides all the basics (butter, towels, bibs, plastic forks, bathroom access and sodas/water for purchase, etc). To our family, it was a most memorable dinning experience.

1. timing of rental car - disembark as early as possible, and go straight to rental agency. The most convenient location in Via train station gets overwhelmed easily by cruise pax. P/U and drop off location at the train station is ultra convenient. In your case, I'd state p/u time at 9am.

2. CC will be charged and converted to US amount. Most CC company will have a surcharge (around 1%) for foreign exchange. That maybe ok, b/c supposedly the cardholder gets a favorable exchange rate.

3. in my June trip, no problem with parking at Peggy's cove.

4. Ryer's lobster are prepared so you could just eat with your hands, no shell cracker needed. While Ryer's has a very basic set up/cooking style, it provides all the basics (butter, towels, bibs, plastic forks, bathroom access and sodas/water for purchase, etc). To our family, it was a most memorable dinning experience.

Thank you for the helpful information. One question though. If we reserve a car for 9 am (that is when ship gets there) and we show up at 10 because of the lines to get off the ship etc would they still have our car or would they have given it away to someone who randomly showed up at 9? I realize you don't know this for sure but what was your experience? Did you get there at the time you reserved the car?

we booked cars in 4 different cities with 3 different companies. Sometimes we were early, sometimes late. No problem. On the other hand, I have other pax complain the rental car company ran out cars despite their confirmed reservation. I would not worry about being on time. Majority of car renters are cruise pax, you will all arrive roughly the same time.

BTW, Some company, such as Budget, would give you an option of prepay for your rental (still cancellable). It may take your reservation more "seriously".

Bon Voyage

Thank you for the helpful information. One question though. If we reserve a car for 9 am (that is when ship gets there) and we show up at 10 because of the lines to get off the ship etc would they still have our car or would they have given it away to someone who randomly showed up at 9? I realize you don't know this for sure but what was your experience? Did you get there at the time you reserved the car?

I believe they will hold the car for you for a couple of hours. To be sure, make sure you directly with the car company not a third party website. A couple of times, I have seen people turned away because their 3rd party website didn't guarentee their car would be there. You can also pre-register or even pre-pay on the car rental's website. We used our Chase Saphire to waive the insurance. They use your own insurance as primary as Chases as secondary. I agree iwth the above poster, insurance is a personal issue.

Archived