Snorkeling From a Beach

Armedaneian

Last time we were on St. Thomas, we headed to St. John's and Trunk Bay's famous snorkel tour. :rolleyes: We were extremely disappointed with the crowds of people and lack of sea life. This time we'd like to stay on STT. We've searched the forum and think Sapphire or Secret Harbour may be what we're looking for. We have our own gear though and could take a cab anywhere on the island. We don't mind swimming out a ways either... so, does anyone know which beach will have the most to offer experienced snorkelers? Should we have a backup beach in mind, depending on the wind/visibility? Thanks for your help! :cool:

The cam is currently down but the pic gives you a shot of the Seagrape trees lining the shore. In the distance is a sea grass area where turtles and rays are often spotted, and to the right is the reef and a shoal area. There is a dive center renting lounges, etc, and a small beach grill between condo bldgs B and C that serves a good mahi mahi sandwich as well as tropical drinks. Beer and rum punches are cheaper at the dive center. Beautiful beach even for those who do not snorkel, usually calm but it is affected by sea swells as it is not well protected.

Secret Harbor is on the other side of Red Hook and is a very calm, small bay that is more protected. Not as highly recommended as Sapphire for snorkeling, but if Sapphire is rough it is another option.

I'll give another vote to Sapphire Beach. We had a lovely time there. I'll admit that I chose to take the "hold down the fort on the beach" role but DH & both girls snorkeled and gave it two thumbs up. DH and our oldest DD went out pretty far, too. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using the Cruise Critic App

Last time we were on St. Thomas, we headed to St. John's and Trunk Bay's famous snorkel tour. :rolleyes: We were extremely disappointed with the crowds of people and lack of sea life. This time we'd like to stay on STT. We've searched the forum and think Sapphire or Secret Harbour may be what we're looking for. We have our own gear though and could take a cab anywhere on the island. We don't mind swimming out a ways either... so, does anyone know which beach will have the most to offer experienced snorkelers? Should we have a backup beach in mind, depending on the wind/visibility? Thanks for your help! :cool:

Secret Harbour has good snorkeling along with Bolongo Bay. At both you will see turtles and lots of fish. They are also pretty close to one another on the south side of the island.

If you are up for a little adventure, I HIGHLY recommend Hull Bay. Its on the north side (the next bay beyond Magen's). There's excellent snorkeling around the rocks and a funky beach bar for lunch and drinks.

Archived