pools on breakaway and getaway

JJS329

Does anyone know if NCL is going to enlarge the pool or create a bigger pool on breakaway and/or getaway due to customer experiences and feedback? I was a first-time cruiser on Breakaway this past June and I thought it was "normal" to have such a small pool, but I realized it is not.

I hope this is corrected when Breakaway goes to dry dock and that it will be corrected before Getaway sails especially because I am booked to sail Getaway this April. Any inside NCL info will be helpful.

I think with the increase in the number of balcony cabins and in the increase in varied activities on board over the years there is far less need for mega-pools. I personally think it's a waste of space as I have never stepped foot in one nor laid by one in thirty years of cruising.

However, H2o seems like a pretty cool idea. (Pun intended). Maybe more cooling-off stations/waterfalls? Or more Vibes for those that need a break from the madding crowds? I know I'm really looking forward to the BA Haven next May. Mostly for meals. I may even lie on a lounge chair. Nah, I'll be lying on my aft balcony. :cool:

I'm pretty sure Getaway will be the same as Breakaway. And I think expanding Breakaway's pool is pretty much out of the question.

I'm new to this whole cruise thing, but it seems to me that if hanging by the pool is your thing, you're much better off heading to a resort for a week. On a ship with 4000+ passengers, you'd probably need to have 75% of the upper deck be a pool to fit everyone properly.

I'm new to this whole cruise thing, but it seems to me that if hanging by the pool is your thing, you're much better off heading to a resort for a week. On a ship with 4000+ passengers, you'd probably need to have 75% of the upper deck be a pool to fit everyone properly.

You're exactly right. Luckily for most pax the pools are not that important as long as there are loungers plus showers and hot tubs available. On all of my 9 cruises I've never set a foot in ship's pool.

On all of my 9 cruises I've never set a foot in ship's pool.

Ditto. 19 cruises here and I've never set foot in a ship's pool

To the OP, enlarging/expanding a pool during a ship's dry dock? Never gonna happen.

I don't know how anyone can defend the pool situation on the Breakaway. They have 2 pools, the same size as the Jewel class ships for at least 1500 more people. People like to hang out at the pool have a few drinks and lay in the sun when on vacation. Every cruise I've ever been on (except maybe Alaska) the pool deck gets mobbed. Did NCL not take this into consideration? I'm tired of hearing people defend it ie: go to a resort if you want to lay by the pool. What kind of crap is that? I was on the Allure with over 6000 people and not only got a lounge chair but never felt overly crowded at the pool. Having said that I have a cruise booked on the the Breakaway for October and I won't let it ruin my trip but I'd prefer more than 2 small pools. I think they should have put a pool in the back of the ship where Spice is like Carnival does on the aft of their ships.

I don't know how anyone can defend the pool situation on the Breakaway. They have 2 pools, the same size as the Jewel class ships for at least 1500 more people. People like to hang out at the pool have a few drinks and lay in the sun when on vacation. Every cruise I've ever been on (except maybe Alaska) the pool deck gets mobbed. Did NCL not take this into consideration? I'm tired of hearing people defend it ie: go to a resort if you want to lay by the pool. What kind of crap is that? I was on the Allure with over 6000 people and not only got a lounge chair but never felt overly crowded at the pool.

As you say, the pool deck gets mobbed but for most there it's because the other sun deck areas are not as easily accessible or far away from any services like bars (Spice/Posh/Vibe/etc excluded) - there is room available but the prime locations do get full fast. Also NCL has thought like this already at least five years (since Epic was planned) and they must think that this is a good solution in overall picture. If you're not happy with this, don't sail NCL megaships - I know I don't like them for other reasons so I stay away.

We have sailed on different lines, and always in the summer due to my work schedule. The pools and pool decks are always crowded. Just something to accept and move on... The design on Breakaway was tough if you have kids in the pool and slides, but still want to hear the music at the "adult" pool and have peeks at the "entertainment" going on over there.

Thanks for the support. Having a nice pool is integral to a ship especially when you're sailing from cold climates in the winter and want to enjoy as much sun and swim as possible!

I could care less if they skipped the pool completely! It may be what you want but Norwegian is not designing their ships for you alone. If you want to promote skin cancer for yourself, that is fine but everyone doesn't want what you do. I'll have more than enough time in the sun on the islands.....don't want or need it on the ship. JMHO. :)

I will however be using the slides and ropes course.

The pool is too small and all the deck chairs make things crowded.

The pool is too big and there isn't enough room for deck chairs.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Let's hope that either way it's the least of our problems in this world.

The main pool was a over crowded people soup but the pool near the slides is less crowded. At least that was the case on my cruise.

I don't see how they could make the pools bigger and again, they will still be crowded. There are plenty of water features to keep you cool while lounging in the sun. The waterfall in Spice is a great feature, lots of water slides, hot tubs, and the pools.

But even if they made to pools bigger, we would still have the same problem, that they were not big enough for the 4000-4500 passengers on the cruise.

You couldn't build a pool big enough for everyone anyways so why even argue this point?

wasiii

Sent through the air with the greatest of ease from my Galaxy Nexus.

You're probably right

Archived