Credit card holds and Cruise Cash

Stevo24

I know this topic has been beaten to death.. But I just wanted to see if I could get some clarification.

I have been doing some research and I understand Carnival has been known to hold a tremendous amount of 'holds' on your credit card. I am only looking to bring a $600 credit line on the cruise with me (5 day, Fantasy). Would it be smarter to buy Cruise Cash and link my CC to my S&S account also? I assume going this route would use the Cruise Cash first, and hopefully not place any holds on my CC unless needed...

Any input? Thanks!

I never had a problem with their holds. Matter of fact they didn't place a hold on my account. It is alright to bring cash and when that is depleted than give them your cc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

So basically, I shouldn't expect $200+ holds like I've been reading?

We do not plan to purchase much alcohol onboard (maybe a could drinks a day..) .. Just don't want to max out my limit right off the bat.

So basically, I shouldn't expect $200+ holds like I've been reading?

We do not plan to purchase much alcohol onboard (maybe a could drinks a day..) .. Just don't want to max out my limit right off the bat.

No,,, you should always expect the worse, but plan on the best.

Other options with such a small availability of credit would be to order the cruise cash now. (Note: Cruise Cash is use it or lose it. Not refundable)

If you are expecting your end of cruise bill to be $400,, buy $300 worth of cruise cash. If they require a little cash up front to start your S&S account, only give them $50 in cash.

Other option,,, use cash only

I purchased $700 in cruise cash and have $660 in additional OBC for our upcoming cruise next month (don't worry, my wife can spend it all onboard). I am curious to see how much of a deposit they will require, if any (I gave a CC with a very low limit, and will switch to cash deposit at the port). I went this route because we overspent on our last Carnival Cruise, (with just a CC on file).

I purchased $700 in cruise cash and have $660 in additional OBC for our upcoming cruise next month (don't worry, my wife can spend it all onboard). I am curious to see how much of a deposit they will require, if any (I gave a CC with a very low limit, and will switch to cash deposit at the port). I went this route because we overspent on our last Carnival Cruise, (with just a CC on file).

I appreciate the tips. I assume they will use the cruise cash and OBC before charging/holding anything on your credit card, correct?

I appreciate the tips. I assume they will use the cruise cash and OBC before charging/holding anything on your credit card, correct?

Assuming is a bad thing here.

Yes, one would think that's how it would happen. I am sure that's how it's supposed to happen. However, we all know how mistakes can happen.

What's your risk tolerance if something goes sideways?

I've also got to ask these questions. If nothing more than something to think about. It appears that there is a cash flow issue. That's OK. Been there, done that.

Did you get travel insurance?

What's your plan if you slip and fall and require medical attention?

What if you party just a little too much and need an IV infusion?

What if you miss the ship and need to get back to the States?

I hate it when people "what if" things to death, but it's always better to be prepared with options for those "what if's".

If I'm completely off base,,, please accept my apologies.

Assuming is a bad thing here.

Yes, one would think that's how it would happen. I am sure that's how it's supposed to happen. However, we all know how mistakes can happen.

What's your risk tolerance if something goes sideways?

I've also got to ask these questions. If nothing more than something to think about. It appears that there is a cash flow issue. That's OK. Been there, done that.

Did you get travel insurance?

What's your plan if you slip and fall and require medical attention?

What if you party just a little too much and need an IV infusion?

What if you miss the ship and need to get back to the States?

I hate it when people "what if" things to death, but it's always better to be prepared with options for those "what if's".

If I'm completely off base,,, please accept my apologies.

You're not off base, as these are all good, logical questions. We will have my debit card also, and the CC we will be taking will have right at $1000 limit on it, but I plan to limit myself at $600 or so. We have the insurance.

, and the CC we will be taking will have right at $1000 limit on it, .

Here's something to think about, just to be aware of. This is my personal experience.

Had a low limit credit card. $500 or $1000 don't remember. Anyway, the wife and I decided to go to Vegas.

Made rental car reservations, made hotel reservation, even made a couple of show reservations.

Got off the plane, went to pick up the car,, CC denied. :eek: All those reservation "holds" had taken away all my available credit.

We worked through it. It was a lesson learned. Embarassing also.:o

If worried about holds on CC remove it from online checkin. Put down however much cash you want to on your S&S card. Then when it runs out, if it does, add the card. Gift cards are also good, they are refundable unlike the Cruise Cash.

Archived