French Market Inn Hotel?

Ericas85

This property is in an excellent location. I haven't stayed here. I have heard the rooms are fine, and their rates are usually very good. Compare booking options. I considered them a year ago for a last minute trip and found different rates depending on the booking site.

Thanks! I am still looking around for good rates, dh and I just want to explore that day so not looking for anything fancy just somewhere safe and clean to lay our heads. :) If you know of any other hotels to look at let me know!

Thanks! I am still looking around for good rates, dh and I just want to explore that day so not looking for anything fancy just somewhere safe and clean to lay our heads. :) If you know of any other hotels to look at let me know!

I have stayed at the Holiday Inn on Royal, Merriot on Canal, W on Poydras, Hilton Riverside, Harrahs, Chatau dupre, most of the time at La Quinta on Camp. I had no problems with any of them. The Drury on Poydras is a little out of my location zone, and would be a last choice for me.

Edited by Budget Queen

My dh and family (5 adults, 2 children) are looking for a hotel that's not to expensive after our cruise. Something close to the fun. The hotels I have look at are so expensive and I don't understand why. We did book the Laquinta pre cruise, but the same hotel wants over $400 a night now !!!!

Any suggestions? Also need it safe and where we can walk to the fun.

Thanks,

Dianna

My dh and family (5 adults, 2 children) are looking for a hotel that's not to expensive after our cruise. Something close to the fun. The hotels I have look at are so expensive and I don't understand why. We did book the Laquinta pre cruise, but the same hotel wants over $400 a night now !!!!

Any suggestions? Also need it safe and where we can walk to the fun.

Thanks,

Dianna

Did you look at Drury on Poydras? It is a further walk, but if no mobility limitations doable with extra time. I'm assuming you need 2 rooms or will it be 3? Look at the French Market Inn noted above. They do have AAA rates.

Be prepared, if using a cab, NO charges per person rates from the airport, even for kids. $14pp (experienced this first had in April with a family in line ahead of me)

IF you happen to be fine with a few blocks of walking, I can give you details for public bus.

Edited by Budget Queen

Is there any special events going on during may 4th 2014? I know the Jazz Festival is the week before and we got a hotel for $165 but now the week after the same hotel is over $400 ... why? How can I get a list of events going on in New Orleans at that time?

Actually we are having a ball checking all of this out and bidding on priceline to see what kind of deal we can get. Who knows where we'll end up but I think we'll surely have a great time.

Jim

Is there any special events going on during may 4th 2014? I know the Jazz Festival is the week before and we got a hotel for $165 but now the week after the same hotel is over $400 ... why? How can I get a list of events going on in New Orleans at that time?

Actually we are having a ball checking all of this out and bidding on priceline to see what kind of deal we can get. Who knows where we'll end up but I think we'll surely have a great time.

Jim

OH BOY, that is Jazz Fest, you are OUT of luck here. My hotel has been already booked for months, using points. You were darn lucky to get that low rate for the week prior.

Be advised with Priceline, during this time, you are likely to get ONLY single bed rooms. Priceline only guarantees one bed. If not an issue, then you are also WAY too early to use Priceline. Jazz Fest is a sold out event, over many years, there is no incentive at this time to unload rooms.

OH BOY, that is Jazz Fest, you are OUT of luck here. My hotel has been already booked for months, using points. You were darn lucky to get that low rate for the week prior.

Be advised with Priceline, during this time, you are likely to get ONLY single bed rooms. Priceline only guarantees one bed. If not an issue, then you are also WAY too early to use Priceline. Jazz Fest is a sold out event, over many years, there is no incentive at this time to unload rooms.

WOW! This is helpful information cuz we would need 2 rooms with 2 beds each, so I guess "Priceline" is out of the question. It would sure be great if we could find a house for 7 people that wasn't too far from the fun. I know there's a site to go to to find them but I don't remember what it is. I know usually they want to rent them for more than just one night but that's all we have time for, and it's just a Sunday night. Thanks for responding.

WOW! This is helpful information cuz we would need 2 rooms with 2 beds each, so I guess "Priceline" is out of the question. It would sure be great if we could find a house for 7 people that wasn't too far from the fun. I know there's a site to go to to find them but I don't remember what it is. I know usually they want to rent them for more than just one night but that's all we have time for, and it's just a Sunday night. Thanks for responding.

Jazz Fest ends at 7p on May 4, so hotels are going to be full. Jazz Fest people are in the habit of booking way ahead, and the hotels can and do get the rates they charge.

You might want to contact some large real estate firms/rental agencies and see, if one location is available. IF you are near public transportation, you may want to just take what you get. Anything in the French Quarter/CBD is going to be way up there. Check and see if you can purchase some hotel points? Right now there is a 20% discount, about $140+++ for 5/4 at the La Quinta on Camp- you can NOT do any better. You need 1500 points. All rooms are currently available, including 2 bed rooms. But, if you decide, you need to book immediately, and join their Returns, if you haven't already.

Hi, somehow we called "Hotels.com" and found 2 rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn in the French Quarter. They started out virbally being $149 per room, then went to $169, and then to $190. Anyway we do have these rooms reserved for now for May 4th 2014.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

My dh and I are going to stay a couple days in New Orleans,LA after our cruise in May 2014. We dock May 4, and I know that Sunday is the last day of the jazz festival, but I don't understand why the prices of the hotels are still so expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay that's close to the center of everything, and don't cost alot?

• 3 weeks later...

If it is not too late, I might recommend changing your hotel.

We stayed there for a week in 2011, and will never stay at that property again. The room was always HOT (in November, for crying out loud). The front desk is where you go for the Valet service and they always seemed to roll their eyes when anyone walked up to them. There was always a line at the front desk, so no matter what you were doing you had to wait (even if that was just dropping off keys for the valet to park your car). No wifi in the rooms, only in the lobby. The floors in the room were severely stained, and the bed was only comfortable for people who sleep on floors.

My recommendation would be either Place De Armes which is owned by the same group, the Oliviet house on Toulouse, or Prytania Park.

I hope it isnt too late, and if it is I hope your experience is better than ours.

The only positive we could find for this week was the proximity to Johnny's PoBoys.

My dh and I are going to stay a couple days in New Orleans,LA after our cruise in May 2014. We dock May 4, and I know that Sunday is the last day of the jazz festival, but I don't understand why the prices of the hotels are still so expensive. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to stay that's close to the center of everything, and don't cost alot?

You have no idea how many people go the last day or how popular Jazz Fest is. With it ending at 7pm with a headliner, there aren't going to be a lot of flights leaving at 9pm and later. So that is why Sunday is just as high as the rest of the two weeks. The following days can also be high due to Jazz Fest taking up most of the person's time, time is then added to enjoy some sights/meals/venues after.

IF you want to be "close" to everything, they you are going to have to pay, no way around it, ALL the hotels raise their rates. My rooms have been booked for months, so, you might want to just book something, now, with the rates you can live with, be also advised that many hotels will not be available for a single night. So keep looking and budget in the hotel costs.

I will confirm, Jazz fest is _ALMOST_ as large as Mardi Gras as far as the hotels in the city are concerned. The hotels will be PACKED.

Given the dates and proximity to JazzFest, I would stay on the North Shore (Covington, Mandeville) and pay the toll to go visit the Quarter. This is what we do when we want to visit our friends who live on the north shore. A $2 toll and you are in the Quarter in about 40 minutes, with little of the craziness that can exist in the Quarter surrounding the hotels.

• 4 weeks later...

I wish I had seen this earlier, as we stayed there last year. The place is rather old, has a tiny elevator, and the rooms are small and somewhat cramped. I suspect this is the case with most FQ rooms as the Maison Dupuy on the other end of the quarter was the same way. No restaurant or bar or services there, but the location two blocks from the Care DuMonde and the French Market is very good. Many places to eat and drink within walking distance. The price is what attracted me, proving once again that you get what you pay for. For one night pre or post cruise, it would be okay.

Most rooms in New Orleans are smaller than average hotel rooms but have charm. The other side of that is the furnishings are sometimes antique, and the rooms are usually clean. We had none of those in this hotel. Our floor was badly stained and the toilet ran all the time. The lack of wifi was the icing on the cake. Their excuse is that the brick walls make offering wifi a challenge, but their sister hotel Place D'Armes has a more complex layout and offers decent wifi.

I did like the location but I will pay more for their sister hotel if we use Valentino hotels again. The company's policies make using them for a pre-cruise hotel a challenge.

• 2 months later...
Jazz Fest ends at 7p on May 4, so hotels are going to be full. Jazz Fest people are in the habit of booking way ahead, and the hotels can and do get the rates they charge.

You might want to contact some large real estate firms/rental agencies and see, if one location is available. IF you are near public transportation, you may want to just take what you get. Anything in the French Quarter/CBD is going to be way up there. Check and see if you can purchase some hotel points? Right now there is a 20% discount, about $140+++ for 5/4 at the La Quinta on Camp- you can NOT do any better. You need 1500 points. All rooms are currently available, including 2 bed rooms. But, if you decide, you need to book immediately, and join their Returns, if you haven't already.

U

La quinta is booked everything else sky high