Any divers been to DiveTech's newish shore site?

jimw

We are divers looking for shore dives off Grand Cayman. We've done the area to the right out of the tender dock and Turtle Reef in Westbay. DiveTech at Lighthouse Point looks good---Is it???

I dug around on some other dive web boards for info in DiveTech but didn't find a lot.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/forum.php

Their web site has an interesting map of their shore dive area but there isn't much information about how friendly they are to outside divers.

UNLIMITED SHORE DIVING! Join Divetech for 3 days or more on a dive package, and your shore diving at both locations is included FREE on the same day as boat diving trips

That does not sound as inviting as Eden Rock or Sunset House to me . . . IF they are as friendly to outside divers using their entry point for a shore dive and use the 'no outside tanks' policy so common in GC I'd note that per today's web pages they want $12.50 (US) for an 80 while Sunset charges $10 . . .

by "to the right out of the tender dock" I'm guessing you did Eden Rock and Devil's Grotto? Have you gone down the road to Sunset? But frankly, I don't need a new site every dive... I have a hundred dives on Sunset's house reef and see different things every time, while looking for old friends . . last trip I did Devil's Grotto for the n'th time and found a sand shark sleeping under a ledge - I watched other divers swim right over and never see it cuz they did not look under the rock!

Let us know if you try it .... the site map IS interesting (altho profile wise Sunset is similar IMO). Maybe next GC trip I'l rent a car and take a drive up there . . .

Been to Sunset House several times--stayed there once in the late 80's or so and cruise dives a number of times. I also stayed at the now gone Seaview Hotel a little toward town and liked the shore dive. Dove several other spots along there too, I am the one who rates Sunset far higher than the Eden Rock complex..........I have been looking for shore diving at a resort or condo for a return stay later and ran into Lighthouse Point/Divetech. I was already aware of Cobalt Coast/Divetech and had been diving several times at the former Divetech location next to the Turtle Farm. I did see a reference from a cruiser somewhere re:the Lighthouse Point location and they spoke highly of the site and op.We will probably dive there in Dec. on the next cruise and use the public bus to get there for $2.50 CI each one way--so 10ci r/t. I saw the divesite map and it does look very interesting...........Thanks for your input!

If you're looking for shore diving, you might try here.

http://www.crackedconch.com.ky/turtlereef-shorediving-snorkelling.php

You can grab a bus from the port for a few bucks and they will take you right up there. The restaurant, Cracked Conch, is awesome. Great views. Its right up next to the Turtle Farm and dolphin place. DH and I always go up there to snorkel and then grab a bite.

It IS a nice dive, been there several times. Too much ladder for us old lazy divers now though. The ease of entry and exit on up at Lighthouse Point and the dive op there--DiveTech--just looks sooo good. I'm looking forward to it in December.

Archived