Gibraltar currency?

Everywhere accepts euros.

For taxi tours the current price is £22 or €25 - and that's as close as makes no odds, but some shops & eateries give a much poorer rate for the euro.

Most goods & menus are actually labelled with prices in both currencies. There's plenty of competition in Gib, so hunt around for the best price in euros if that's all you've got. Or use a credit card to pay in Gib pounds if there's a big discrepancy.

For pre-booked tours which you pay on the day, ask if they accept euros (they probably will). But also ask the price in euros & do the maths. Because of currency fluctuations you're likely to be quoted at least a small premium for euros.

The Gib pound is interchangeable with the UK pound - but only in Gib. So you can tender Gib or UK pounds, but don't accept Gib currency in your change cos outside Gib it's only a souvenir.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

JB gives very good advice :). We have been waiting for several years to get back to Gibraltar to spend a few left over Gibraltar pounds. Tried to use them in England with no luck. One pub told us the Gibraltar pound notes make great wall hangings :)

Hank

JB gives very good advice :). We have been waiting for several years to get back to Gibraltar to spend a few left over Gibraltar pounds. Tried to use them in England with no luck. One pub told us the Gibraltar pound notes make great wall hangings :)

Hank

Oh dear, Hank.

Prepare for a shock. :eek:

Are you sitting down?

Gib one-pound notes are no longer legal tender, they've been replaced by coins. :p

The good news is that you can spend Gib coins in the UK.

In the same places as Channel Islands coins.

Dimly lit pubs & parking meters :D

Everywhere accepts euros.

For taxi tours the current price is £22 or €25 - and that's as close as makes no odds, but some shops & eateries give a much poorer rate for the euro.

Most goods & menus are actually labelled with prices in both currencies. There's plenty of competition in Gib, so hunt around for the best price in euros if that's all you've got. Or use a credit card to pay in Gib pounds if there's a big discrepancy.

For pre-booked tours which you pay on the day, ask if they accept euros (they probably will). But also ask the price in euros & do the maths. Because of currency fluctuations you're likely to be quoted at least a small premium for euros.

The Gib pound is interchangeable with the UK pound - but only in Gib. So you can tender Gib or UK pounds, but don't accept Gib currency in your change cos outside Gib it's only a souvenir.

Hi

I have some UK pounds(coins and notes) from N. Ireland. Can I spend them in London/Southampton/Gibraltar?

Thanks

Tom

Yes.

And yes.

And yes.

Thank You for the prompt reply. In the US, dollars are good from Guam to US Virgin Is, Hawaii, Alaska and my home, North Tonawanda, NY, terminus of the Erie Canal. If I were a Gibraltarian, I would feel put upon--accepting UK warships and currency but not getting reciprocity. I would even bet that Gibraltar coins/notes are made in the UK.

Tom:)

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the help. We don't sail until Oct.2014 so I won't nail down tours until later this fall but will be sure to ask for our tour rate in both Euro and pounds.

what ship are you going on. we are also going in oct. 2014. we will be on the adventure of the seas

Lynn

Hi

I have some UK pounds(coins and notes) from N. Ireland. Can I spend them in London/Southampton/Gibraltar?

Thanks

Tom

There's no problem with coins. Northern Ireland coins are the same size and shape as English and Scottish ones, and are interchangeable. (Guernsey and Jersey coins are the same size and shape as well, and as there are so many different coin designs that the only way to recognise a Guernsey one is to read the words round the edge, then they are universally accepted.)

Northern Ireland banknotes, along with Scottish ones, are a bit more problematic. All UK banks will accept them, but not many shops. The main reason is, no-one knows what they look like, so they don't know whether they're forged or not. They might as well say "Bank of Toyland" as far as forgery detection goes.

There are four different Northern Ireland banks issuing notes (including the Danske bank, which I didn't know until five minutes ago) and you won't find a shop in England (or Gibraltar) to accept them. Take them to a UK bank, take them back to Northern Ireland and ask for UK notes in exchange, or keep them as souvenirs.

There's no problem with coins. Northern Ireland coins are the same size and shape as English and Scottish ones, and are interchangeable. (Guernsey and Jersey coins are the same size and shape as well, and as there are so many different coin designs that the only way to recognise a Guernsey one is to read the words round the edge, then they are universally accepted.)

Northern Ireland banknotes, along with Scottish ones, are a bit more problematic. All UK banks will accept them, but not many shops. The main reason is, no-one knows what they look like, so they don't know whether they're forged or not. They might as well say "Bank of Toyland" as far as forgery detection goes.

There are four different Northern Ireland banks issuing notes (including the Danske bank, which I didn't know until five minutes ago) and you won't find a shop in England (or Gibraltar) to accept them. Take them to a UK bank, take them back to Northern Ireland and ask for UK notes in exchange, or keep them as souvenirs.

Thanks for the info. I will try to exchange them at bank.

• 3 weeks later...

I actually live in Gibraltar…so if you need any info just ask.

as regards coins…I always sort out my UK coins and Gin coins before I leave home as even telephones in UK willNOT accept Gib coins…so best to spend before you leave us.

we do not accept Irish or Scottish coins either…well thats if they notice them!we used to see them a lot but in the past few years haven't seen any.

I actually live in Gibraltar…so if you need any info just ask.

as regards coins…I always sort out my UK coins and Gin coins before I leave home as even telephones in UK willNOT accept Gib coins…so best to spend before you leave us.

we do not accept Irish or Scottish coins either…well thats if they notice them!we used to see them a lot but in the past few years haven't seen any.

Thanks for the info. I notice that Euro coins/notes are good though out all Euro countries. This is 2013, can't the UK do the same, for all of UK?

The UK does do the same, throughout the UK. Only two problems:

1. Gibraltar isn't in the UK. ;)

2. Many English shops won't accept Scottish or Irish notes because they haven't a clue what they're supposed to look like. They are rarely used in England.

Euro banknotes are all backed up by the same body - some sort of amalgam of national banks, I think. British notes aren't - each bank is repsonsible for its own notes. Hence they don't really want them to be (for practical purposes) indistinguishable.

The UK does do the same, throughout the UK. Only two problems:

1. Gibraltar isn't in the UK. ;)

2. Many English shops won't accept Scottish or Irish notes because they haven't a clue what they're supposed to look like. They are rarely used in England.

Euro banknotes are all backed up by the same body - some sort of amalgam of national banks, I think. British notes aren't - each bank is repsonsible for its own notes. Hence they don't really want them to be (for practical purposes) indistinguishable.

I suspected that Gibraltar was an overseas territory, but I still think that if the EU could work this out then so could the UK. EU has 300+million people--much less than UK and her OT.

I suspected that Gibraltar was an overseas territory, but I still think that if the EU could work this out then so could the UK. EU has 300+million people--much less than UK and her OT.

Gibraltar could join the Euro if it was so minded - the UK doesn't have jurisdiction over its internal economic affairs. It's not a colony.

Besides, it does work - Gibraltar accepts UK coins and notes, and the UK doesn't accept Gibraltar notes. It's a bit like the relationship between the USA and most Caribbean islands - the islands accept US Dollars, but the US doesn't accept any form of Caribbean Dollar. I'd have thought if the EU could work this out, so could North America! :p

Gibraltar could join the Euro if it was so minded - the UK doesn't have jurisdiction over its internal economic affairs. It's not a colony.

Besides, it does work - Gibraltar accepts UK coins and notes, and the UK doesn't accept Gibraltar notes. It's a bit like the relationship between the USA and most Caribbean islands - the islands accept US Dollars, but the US doesn't accept any form of Caribbean Dollar. I'd have thought if the EU could work this out, so could North America! :p

Actually, US Virgin Is use US money as their currency, along w. Guam. Other Caribbean countries are independent countries.

Tom

Actually, US Virgin Is use US money as their currency, along w. Guam. Other Caribbean countries are independent countries.

Tom

Just an addendum. I am well are that Guam is in the Pacific ocean. I merely used it as an example of islands that use US currency and are US territories. Puerto Rico also uses US money.

Tom

Just an addendum. I am well are that Guam is in the Pacific ocean. I merely used it as an example of islands that use US currency and are US territories. Puerto Rico also uses US money.

Tom

Gibraltar is not part of the UK (just an over seas territory), that is why the currency is not shared. It's like how Panama uses US dollars and Balboas, but the US won't accept Balboas.

Gibraltar is not part of the UK (just an over seas territory), that is why the currency is not shared. It's like how Panama uses US dollars and Balboas, but the US won't accept Balboas.

Guam is an overseas US territory

Guam is an overseas US territory

I don't know whether Guam is forced at the point of a US Army gun to use US Dollars, or if they democratically choose to do so of their own accord. Either way, it isn't relevant to Gibraltar, who democratically choose to issue their own currency and there is no inclination by the British Government to force them to change. End of story.

I don't know whether Guam is forced at the point of a US Army gun to use US Dollars, or if they democratically choose to do so of their own accord. Either way, it isn't relevant to Gibraltar, who democratically choose to issue their own currency and there is no inclination by the British Government to force them to change. End of story.

Testy, are we? I mention Guam to demonstrate the possible. Panama is an independent country

I won't step into any argument about using Gib pounds. ;)

Instead, I'll start my own argument about Scotland. :D

If Crown-Prince Alex gets his way & Scotland goes independent, he thinks he'll take the oil (that's "Scottish":rolleyes:) with him, but keep the GB pound (that's a "shared asset":rolleyes:)

Anything else you want to cherry-pick, Alex??