Millennium-altered routing

yyjguy

Millennium normally travels on the east side of Vancouver Island on her southbound voyage. A full day of excellent scenery and wildlife. Today however, she is sailing on the west side of Vancouver Island, and will enter Canadians waters via the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Perhaps her speed is still affected by the electrical problems??

I believe it can go faster in open waters than navigate the inner eastern passage. So this is likely to get their on time on Friday, and not because of propulsion problems.

So they left Monday night, make no stops along the way, and they are worried about getting there by Friday? Doesn't seem right unless there are still some issues. Am I missing something?

So they left Monday night, make no stops along the way, and they are worried about getting there by Friday? Doesn't seem right unless there are still some issues. Am I missing something?

So based on my calculations, it has about 3 and half days to get to Vancouver by 7am. Now I can't find the actual nautical distance between Seward and Vancouver, but it's probably between 1200-1500 nautical miles. To make that distance in time, the Millennium has to go close to its top speed or about 18 knots.

I M O ....the routing is a bit strange.

Again, IMO, leaving Seward even a day earlier than anticipated following the mechanical ''bump on the road'', and sailing ''straight shot right thru the Gulf of Alaska'' , she would have had a very good amount of time to reach Pine Island ( North end of Vancouver Island) in good time to continue on the regular route thru the BC Inside Passage.

The fact they chose to send her on a longer route around the WestSide of the Island, thru Juan de Fuca strait, and back up in Georgia strait to Vancouver, means the added fuel consumption and time elapsed measure well against their motive to make that choice in the first place.

Steerage issue ? the route she is using, Northern tip of Vancouver Island to Vancouver , is far less ''challenging'' in that regards....

Just my opinion....

As at 15 minutes ago, she is getting close to Ogden Point, near Victoria, but still sailing on the US side of Juan de Fuca ( normal protocol).

Will obviously make Vancouver in more than plenty of tim tomorrow morning.

Strange....

( or the very unlikely of BC coastal pilot unavailability around Pine Island ????)

Naw....)

As long as we are speculating, it might also be that due to the earlier than anticipated completion of repairs, the selected course was the best to allow a normal or slower than normal cruising speed to consume the available amount of hours for an on time arrival through an area with sea and weather conditions that would be most enjoyable for the passengers while not complicating the navigation of other vessels by moving to slowly.

Archived