Food Safety in Cozumel

peiguy48

What are the risks eating food or having drinks in Cozumel at the local restaurants/beach clubs.

I was thinking of having HepA/B shots before we go but if it is not really necessary I rather not.

Thks for all replies.:)

What does HepB have to do with eating food or having drinks in Cozumel?

HepB is a blood borne pathogens. The shots take many injections to complete the series.

(I think it took me 6 months for the entire series we had to get for work)

I'd think you'd be worried about a case of Montezuma's Revenge from eating or drinking.

We've eaten at Nachi Cocum (4 times) and Panchos Backyard (couple of times) and never had any ill affects. (knock on wood. ;) )

Most of the beach clubs use purified water for ice. (a decade ago I would have worried more)

Just remember when you get home you will not be able to donate blood for quite awhile. (I believe a year or more)

Bill

The reason I mention HEP A/B is that here in Canada they offer the TwinRix vacination which is for for Hep A & Hep B. I understand the difference in how each form of hepatitis is transmitted. Thks for your comment!!!!:)

Cozumel is a little different that parts of mainland Mexico. It's a huge tourist site. All of the all inclusives I've been to as well as the larger restaurants have their own water filtration system. We've eaten at Pancho's with no issues and will again in Nov. This isn't a small undeveloped town where you might have a problem.

Everyone on the island uses purified water for cooking and drinking-even the locals. I would be more worried about mosquito carried diseases like dengue fever. But the hours the ship is there should not be a worry.

My biggest worry in Cozumel is fire coral and sunburn. :)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Archived