Hong Kong during Lunar New Year... Good time to go?

popcan

As it happens, our cruise leaves from Hong Kong a few days after Chinese New Year in 2014. We are thinking of going a few days early to take it all in, but doing research on the event, many people advise not to go.

Mostly because of massive crowds, but some also mention that so many shops are closed for the holidays, prices are jacked up, night markets aren't operating... But many are also saying GO!

I'm interested in hearing more opinions from those of you who have been to Hong Kong, either during major events, or just your general impressions.

Worth an extra 3 or 4 days?

thanks!

Big crowds on the night itself, for the extra-special laser show around the harbour. I don't recall any other differences (such as jacked-up prices, though that might be the case with hotel rooms - easily checked on the internet) & I've been to HK at other times too.

Fascinating & vibrant place, well worth a few days at any time of year. Gives you time to explore & soak-up the place cheaply & at leisure, using ferries, trams, buses, mass-transit railway, & shanks's.

And if your cruise doesn't include China, you can go on a visa-free (more accurately blanket-visa) day-tour into China.

Choose your hotel location with care, some aren't convenient. Around the bottom of Nathan Road is good, the Salisbury Hotel is ideal & at sensible cost.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

As it happens, our cruise leaves from Hong Kong a few days after Chinese New Year in 2014. We are thinking of going a few days early to take it all in, but doing research on the event, many people advise not to go.

Mostly because of massive crowds, but some also mention that so many shops are closed for the holidays, prices are jacked up, night markets aren't operating... But many are also saying GO!

I'm interested in hearing more opinions from those of you who have been to Hong Kong, either during major events, or just your general impressions.

thanks!

We were there a few years ago and found the crowds on the night of the parade to be intimidating. I actually felt scared as I was carried along by the crowds and we returned to the hotel and watched it on the tv!!! Having said that, if you do your homework, I think you can reserve a seat (not 100% on this) you should be okay. A few shops will be closed, but not enough to impact on your stay. Most Chinese return to their parent's home during this time of the year and some offices will be closed. If you want to go to The Peak, book your tickets otherwise you will be standing in line for hours. Celebrations are spread over several days, so again do your homework as to whether you want 3 or 4 days, but remember there is lots to see in Hong Kong, beyond the festivities.

FYI: Chinese New Year in 2014 is January 31st.

Small mom & pop shops and street vendors will most likely close on that day, larger ones will stay open, but YMMV.

Traditionally Chinese families will eat at home, but with a clan of 20+, grandma will now a days will say, "Go out to eat!" :D :eek:

Our cruise leaves from HK on Feb 3, and we are going to go early to see the city regardless. We actually didn't realize that CNY fell on Jan 31st until after we booked.... Hopefully it will enhance our visit, rather than hinder! :)

Our cruise leaves from HK on Feb 3, and we are going to go early to see the city regardless. We actually didn't realize that CNY fell on Jan 31st until after we booked.... Hopefully it will enhance our visit, rather than hinder! :)

Like Xmas, there are many CNY related things to buy that will disappear afterwards :rolleyes:

HK will be fabulous regardless. Enjoy the city :)

We sure enjoyed it in Viet Nam. It is also celebrated there.

We lived in HK for several years and if you get the chance to be there over CNY then take it. Yes, on the actual day itself the harbour area will be packed but otherwise life in HK goes on pretty much as normal. Almost nothing gets in the way of commerce and only the banks and the very small shops will be shut.

If you have a spare day might I take the liberty of suggesting the following (I'm assuming you will be staying in Kowloon or on the Island):

Arm yourself with HK€50 in change.

Take the MTR to Tsuen Wan. Follow the signs to the 51 bus direction Kam Tin. This route will take you over Route Twisk and into Sek Kong then Kam Tin. You get a hairy ride over HK's highest peak (Tai Mo Shan) and as you go down the other side you pass the old British Army and RAF base's accommodations and once you get to level ground you pass the old British RAF base and Army barracks. All now occupied by the PLA.

Get off the bus at the terminus and get another to Yuen Long (just look at the name on the front of the bus) where you can get a further bus round the coast road and back into TST (Tsim Sha Tsui). If you get lost at any point hale a taxi and say ''Star Ferry''. You cannot be more than a £15 taxi ride away!

This is a great way to see the New Territories and kind of fun if you're happy to go with the flow.

Do not attempt this on the day of CNY!

Edited by Tothesunset

• 2 months later...

thanks!

tet is a family holiday, much like Thanksgiving. The culture is very family oriented so there ia a lot of people "going home" so a lot closed, but there is much to see none the less.